Harvard Mk.II/IIA/IIB British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (72447) 1:72 Special Hobby

Julien

Harvard Mk.II/IIA/IIB British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (72447)

1:72 Special Hobby

spacer.png

The North American Aviation T-6 Texan has a long history dating from its inception as the NA-16 in 1935 right up to 1970. Even today there are flying versions in various Warbird associations. The T-6 (in various designations from NA-16, through B1 to T-6 etc.) was originally produced as a basic trainer but over time it was upgraded to an advanced trainer (AT-6 Texan) with improved performance for basic and combat type flying training, plus an added facility for training rear gunners. The T-6 was also supplied to Britain and Commonwealth nations and designated the Harvard (I & II) and was in service during WW2 and for many years postwar. The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan was a large WWII training plan designed to produce the war time pilots needed for all services. Created by the UK in partnership with Canada, Australia and New Zealand the plan produced nearly half of the aircrew for these countries during WWII.

The Kit

This is a re-boxing of the Academy kit by Special Hobby with a new injected clear sprue for the different canopies used (one for an AT-6F/SNJ, one for a Harvard II, and one for an AT-6A/D, so expect more boxings!) and some resin parts, and a small PE fret; as well with the addition of a new decal sheet for Aircraft Canada, The UK, Rhodesia, New Zealand and India.  Construction starts with no surprise i the cockpit.  Both seat get belts from the new SH fret, the control columns and their linking bar also come from the new resin parts from SH. These go onto the floor and then the cockpit sides are added along with the rear bulkhead and the rear seat instrument panel. Once in the fuselage can be joined up and the front instrument panel added it.  The instruments are provided by decals. The area behind the rear cockpit must be trimmed away for the aircraft in this boxing and it is indicated by a red area in the instructions. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up the engine front is put into the cowling and the propeller is added  A small area on the cowling must be removed and again this is shown in red. The insert for the main wheel bay is then added into the lower wing and the upper wing parts added. The complete wing can then be joined to the fuselage and at the rear the tailplanes are added on. Then the canopies are put on, with different ones for the different decal options. Different airframe fittings are added depending on the decal optiuons, one having the large aerial mast in front of the cockpits, and one having a PE gunsight added. Different pitot tubes are also included for the different options. Underneath the wheels and gear legs are added along with the new resin exhaust included in this boxing. Elevator control horns are added and lastly the tail wheel. 

spacer.png

Markings

There are five decal options on a sheet printed in house, the decals look to be thin, in register with no issues. 

1. Harvard Mk.II No. 25/2625, 34 Service Flying Training School RCAF Medicine Hat, Canada, 1943. (All over yellow).

2. Harvard Mk.IIB, No. 38/FX389, No.16 (Polish) Service Flying School, RAF Newton, England (Dark Earth/Dark Green over yellow).

3. Harvard Mk.IIA No. 78/EX490, No.20 Service Flying School, SRAF, Cranborne, Southern Rhodesia 1943. (Natural metal finish with wide yellow bands on the wings)

4. Harvard Mk.IIA No. 32/NZ934, No.2 Service Flying School RNZAF, Woodbourne, New Zealand 1942. This aircraft served with the New Zealand Air Force until 1958. (Dark Earth/Dark Green over sky with yellow side training panels).

5. Harvard Mk.IIB No. 14/FE479, No.1  Service Flying Training School RIAF, Ambala Base, India 1944/45. (All over yellow).

spacer.png

Conclusion

It is great to see Special Hobby taking the good Academy kit and adding the additional parts to bring us the Harvard which helped to train so many allied aircrews.  Very Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Julien said:

Problem now is there are at least two on the decal sheet I want to build!

Since I have three of then as of now, that's not really an issue. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:05 AM, Scout712 said:

Is it up for sale already? I couldn't find it nowhere.

Michael

I ordered mine through my LHS, no issues.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1