Eduard MiG-21R 1/48 WIP

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all bit stuck on a few painting of parts. 
Firstly the Radome, I have the correct green but not sure how far it goes, some pictures show MiGs where they expand past a “ring” however some are steel coloured. Not sure what to paint this part? Thoughts?spacer.png

that’s the steel ring at the back of the radome. 

Here’s the referencing for the 111 Cuban MiG-21R

spacer.png

s3LHZ3r.jpg

it appears to expand all the way green and maybe even have blue at the bottom. However this seems to be the after a shoddy post 90s repaint, where it differs from the instructions. 
spacer.png

NEXT challenge is the landing gear,

instructions call for them to painted the respective Interior green/Grey in the wells and LIGHT GULL GREY ON THE LEGS.!!??!!

obviously this is incorrect for this MiG, on the inside I went for the 324 lower colour similar to other MiGs seen (Reference PF at Cosford lower blue continued into wells, light grey on legs) but on further analysis of reference I’m now not sure wether the Wells and Legs should be painted more of a metallic, or if this is a product of a shoddy repaint? Thoughts?

TDiDtqU.png

xYYcOVD.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks, sorry for the long time with no updates. But now that my exams and illness has passed, back to sticking my fingers together with glue!

spacer.pngspacer.png

First off the ‘pit. Actually quite proud of this. Love that turquoise. (Did loose one of the rudder straps but you won’t see it anyway)

spacer.png

spacer.png
XU69GAZ.jpgspacer.png

Also quite happy with the engine. Coming back to the hobby after a 6 year exodus (last kit was in Year 7) has really made a difference.

ZDMbext.jpg

yMJvFzG.jpg

SPvbQYk.jpg

BbEok9P.jpg
Well (Get it?) , I am quite impressed with my self for my return and first plane. The detail on this kit is just wonderful. 

On 16/06/2021 at 19:33, exdraken said:

Nice start!

I would not think too much regarding the colours, just paint it as in your pics! Can't be wrong :)

Thanks mate! Went with the colours in the photos, will update more tonight.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks,

sorry for very little update. It’s been way too hot to work. But I’ve done a little bit more. spacer.png

Ssz8uBX.jpg
Mn7gvGa.jpg

already filled in the gaps and started on the rear. What are the thoughts on lowering the flaps? Has anyone got experience with this. 
Thanks for looking, stay cool and stay safe,

Ed

• Like 5

Hello Ed-

Welcome to the forums and also back to the hobby!   Don’t get too hung up on colors.  Just have fun!

Speaking of colors, what did you use for the cockpit?  It is a good match to the photoetch.  

David

13 minutes ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Hello Ed-

Welcome to the forums and also back to the hobby!   Don’t get too hung up on colors.  Just have fun!

Speaking of colors, what did you use for the cockpit?  It is a good match to the photoetch.  

David

Hi David,

It should be AK real color RC206 russian cockpit turquoise. Lays down really nice and solid. 

Thanks for looking,

Ed