A suggestion for SCC.15 out of the bottle.

IanC

I've just finished building Airfix's new 1/72 Sherman Firefly, which of course means finding a suitable SCC.15. I've been experimenting with some paint mixes, the easiest of which is Mike Starmer's half and half mix of Vallejo Model Color 70.924 Russian Uniform Green and 70.888 Olive Grey.

I compared this with swatches of various aircraft colours I have and found that Gunze Mr Hobby H 73 Dark Green is virtually identifical, at least to my eye. Another benefit is that the Gunze paint is harder wearing. 

This may of course be old news (or duff gen...) but has anyone else tried it? If so, what did you think?

• Thanks 1

Cool... although careful once again with bottles. The Vallejo 50 50 mix does not match in my case with @Mike Starmer swatch in his books, which in fact comes very close to the RAF museum vol 3 book's Dark Green swatch.
More 888 does it. Or some swatches are tooooo much alike....
Anyway, the fact these colours are similar should not be a shock. And then there is debate about scale effect or not....

Edited by Steben
  • Like 1

It's possible this discovery is a match, but it would need a comparison with an actual paint chip, even the one Mike offer's in his publication.  Reason is suggested paint formulas is a two way street - the assumption is one has the same batch of hobby paint as the one used by the person providing the ratios.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, JackG said:

It's possible this discovery is a match, but it would need a comparison with an actual paint chip, even the one Mike offer's in his publication.  Reason is suggested paint formulas is a two way street - the assumption is one has the same batch of hobby paint as the one used by the person providing the ratios.

regards,

Jack

Indeed. It's just that I've not used Mike's Vallejo mix before, and if that's a reasonable match for the real thing then I'm happy enough to have found something else that looks roughly the same straight out of the bottle. As a starting point...

In this case it only needs to look right under a thick layer of Normandy dust and dirt! 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard Tamiya's XF-81 RAF green is a reasonable match, however it does have a sheen that I like for aircraft kits (going to gloss the whole thing anyway before the decals) but I'm not too fond of for armour as I only gloss where the decals are going on AFVs.

Stuart

4 hours ago, Stuart Wilson said:

I've heard Tamiya's XF-81 RAF green is a reasonable match, however it does have a sheen that I like for aircraft kits (going to gloss the whole thing anyway before the decals) but I'm not too fond of for armour as I only gloss where the decals are going on AFVs.

Stuart

XF-81 is very very close. Perhaps still too saturated. All depends on your own demands.