Panzerjaeger IV and V. Jagdpanzer, Stug IV and Jagdpanther

Glutton for punishment.

Repainted the Jagdpanzer IV AGAIN!

y4mtnUiFJTNx_Wddp_uLPvGsda6gni9xurVnTaFV

Looking a little worse for wear......................

Having seen some very excellent masked and sprayed disc cam on a recent build here by @THEscaleSHOW I thought I'd try masking and brush painting some disc cam.

y4mSoPl3z8PmoJsEyXnmVeNv1-on98R8GUkxesiJ 

So I tried setting up some white-tac masking. It looked a bit suspect and I could not visualise the end product using this mrthod of masking so I took it off again. (I decided this kit, however it turns out, will not justify wasting the am tracks I bought so the tracks are the Hasegawa abominations that were supplied with the kit.)

I'll have one more bash at disc cam which will, quite rapidly, transform into three colour stripes if it looks like it's going pear-shaped again.

OR

y4mX-y73U92ySrx8e-LtZ4H3zoSL7HTDIZm4RxA_

A certain Dragon Jagdpanther  might take up my time instead.

Or I might look for a Dragon Jagdpanzer IV L/70...................

Edited by echen
  • Like 7

Having problems with camouflage? Just Google some pictures, usually helps me come up with something that I can better visualise or a totally different idea to what I started out with 😂

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, echen said:

Glutton for punishment.

Repainted the Jagdpanzer IV AGAIN!

y4mtnUiFJTNx_Wddp_uLPvGsda6gni9xurVnTaFV

Looking a little worse for wear......................

Having seen some very excellent masked and sprayed disc cam on a recent build here by @THEscaleSHOW I thought I'd try masking and brush painting some disc cam.

y4mSoPl3z8PmoJsEyXnmVeNv1-on98R8GUkxesiJ 

So I tried setting up some white-tac masking. It looked a bit suspect and I could not visualise the end product so I took it off again. (I decided this kit, however it turns out, will not justify wasting the am tracks I bought so the tracks are the Hasegawa abominations that were supplied with the kit.)

I'll have one more bash at disc cam which will, quite rapidly, transform into three colour stipes if it looks like it's going pear-shaped again.

OR

y4mX-y73U92ySrx8e-LtZ4H3zoSL7HTDIZm4RxA_

A certain Dragon Jagdpanther  might take up my time instead.

Or I might look for a Dragon Jagdpanzer IV L/70...................

Hi

Too bad that you have to start over with the painting.
But that can happen, I have repainted some models 3-4 times.
You should be satisfied in the end.

As for the camouflage, you can easily do that with DIY stencils.

You only need a small hole punch in the right scale, painter's tape and a smooth, slightly thicker plastic plate (zb. 5mm).

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08KW41SSM?tag=pixelwerker-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&keywords=lochpfeifen

1. stick a strip of painter's tape onto the plate.
2. cut out discs with the punch (a light stroke is enough)
3. peel off the tape (only the discs will remain on the plate).
4. apply color for the first discs on the model (for green and brown discs with yellow base you start with e.g. green).
5. When the entire model is green, mask the desired areas with the masks you created.
6. then apply brown and after drying mask off the desired areas (which should be brown).
7. finally apply yellow
8. remove masks and unify the entire camouflage with highly diluted yellow.
9. seal with clear varnish-finished

Makes a little effort, but the result should be worth it 😉

MD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Stuck the supplied tracks together and dry fitted.

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4301&authke

Not too bad from a distance. Schurzen will aid in hiding them.

• Like 5

• echen changed the title to Panzerjaeger IV and V. Jagdpanzer and Jagdpanther

Getting a bit underwhelmed with the Jagdpanzer IV so I started my Dragon Jagdpanther to see if I could get a bit inspired.

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4468&authke

Nice Zimmerit

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4470&authke

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4469&authke

Made a bit of a dogs breakfast of the tyres and guide horn protection. The mouldings for the edges of the tyres and guide horn protection on the middle wheels looked really clear at first glance - they are good -  but so tiny.

My hand is not as steady with the hairy stick as it used to be. 😪

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4467&authke

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4466&authke

Got the base coat on the hull - Humbrol 94 brown yellow

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4465&authke

Test fitted the RHS running gear after attempting to tidy the tyres a bit.

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4542&authke

I suspect that some strategically placed mud and grime will be required on the roadwheels - as usual. The tracks need lots more attention too.

(I think I might take to building WWII single engined fighter planes - three wheels each!)

Hopefully the JP IV will now get some attention too.

Edited by echen
  • Like 7

For tiny scale that Jagdpanther looks a rather nice kit.

Something that might be worth a try for painting wheels and tyres (Works for me in 35th anyway). Paint the wheel and tyre in the dunklegelb, or whatever colour the vehicle is. Then I make balls out of either blue tac or panzer putty gently press into the wheel leaving the tyre visible.  Then I'll spray, often with Humbrol rattle can tyre black, the tyre. With a little practice this leaves a neatly sprayed tyre and folk won't necessarily notice if it's completely upto the edges or not as long as looks neat and smooth. Particularly if it gets a dusting of weathering.

Alternatively most stationary type outlets do circle templates; paint the whole thing tyre black or grey etc place the template over the painted tyre and paint the exposed wheel, gives a quick neat edge.

Atb

Darryl 

3 hours ago, echen said:

(I think I might take to building WWII single engined fighter planes - three wheels each!

Seaplanes have even fewer....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, echen said:

Getting a bit underwhelmed with the Jagdpanzer IV so I started my Dragon Jagdpanther to see if I could get a bit inspired.

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4468&authke

Nice Zimmerit

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4470&authke

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4469&authke

Made a bit of a dogs breakfast of the tyres and guide horn protection. The mouldings for the edges of the tyres and guide horn protection on the middle wheels looked really clear at first glance - they are good -  but so tiny.

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4467&authke

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4466&authke

Got the base coat on the hull - Humbrol 94 brown yellow

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4465&authke

Test fitted the RHS running gear after attempting to tidy the tyres a bit.

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4542&authke

I suspect that some strategically placed mud and grime will be required on the roadwheels - as usual. The tracks need lots more attention too.

(I think I might take to building WWII single engined fighter planes - three wheels each!)

Hopefully the JP IV will now get some attention too.

I share your pain when doing German vehicles I was on to stef about it a while ago… just why so many, just excessive wheels!! 
  Made me laugh about the ww2 single engine fighters!! 
   The kits looks nice though and some good tips from Darryl.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, echen said:

Sometimes it feels like I'm waving. It's nothing that can't be covered up with some mud.

John.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

JPs fighting compartments do not have a lip in the armour each side. At least I could not find any pix.

But I thought I could live with this.

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4554&authke

Then I thought perhaps not but I could cover it with one of those big red aerial recognition flags with the curly cross on.

But there's a bit of a lip the other side too and the flag would not be big enough to extend right across: it would limit the escape hatch too. 

OK a flag one side and a tarp hanging over the rear panel on the other side.........

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4553&authke

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4551&authke

Nah!

If the worse comes to the worse I can hang flags and tarps but if I can replicate the tiny zim with a modelling knife it'll look much better methinks.

Hopefully some paint will improve things.

To be improved continued......

• Like 9

Donno how I've missed this thread, some interesting work, I quite fancy having a go at some disk camo. Maybe I'd use a stamp made out of an old pencil rubber or something. 

I tend to find I'm never that happy with my efforts at elaborate camo schemes but they often look a bit better once washed and weathered.

• Thanks 1

The area of the casemate where you filled the gap seems quite good in my view, as most Zimmerit I've noticed in photographs seems to chip off somewhat at the edges anyway, so would not be totally regular in appearance. This wartime paste appeared to be susceptible to damage, such as breaking loose, after application. I suppose this was similar to how plaster or concrete on top of metal would react over time owing to: vibration from the vehicle itself; striking against objects while the vehicle was in motion; and shell/bullet impacts. Then, because the outer layer(s) of paint are gone, the "off-white" colour (I guess you could call it) of the Zimmerit itself or the underlying primer paint or even the vehicle's bare metal could become visible, as depicted by many other modellers on their Zimmeritted vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• echen changed the title to Panzerjaeger IV and V. Jagdpanzer, Stug IV and Jagdpanther

Now made a start on the Dragon Stug IV (Early).

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4636&authke

embed?resid=354E4A428E98265D!4633&authke

Dragons Nobel Prize winning wheels are included in this kit as are lots of other nicely moulded components.

Sprue pics and destructions are here.

The tracks fit really well - held on here by friction with the guide horns.

More to follow.

Edited by echen
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2023 at 6:59 PM, Jasper dog said:

the quality of each kit appears to improve each time a new one is started. 

@Jasper dog Lets hope the build quality improves along with it.