F4F-4 Wildcat / Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Dogfight Double Gift Set 1:72 Airfix A50184

Julien

F4F-4 Wildcat / Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Dogfight Double Gift Set

1:72 Airfix A50184

spacer.png

This dogfight double from Airfx brings us their newer tool Zero and Wildcat kits. As well as the two kits there is a display stand to hold both models and a set of paints with glue and brushes.

The infamous Mitsubishi Zero was able to dominate the early years of the Pacific air war through a combination of tremendous agility and endurance. Mitsubishi designed their fighter to be as light as possible in order to make the most of the relatively low power available from its radial engine. This weight saving became a major weak spot for the Zero, however, once heavily armed and armoured opposition such as the Grumman Hellcat entered the fray. The legendary British test pilot Eric ‘Winkle’ Brown flew the Zero in 1946. He found that it possessed superb manoeuvrability and a good rate of climb. He was less impressed by the constant ‘panting’ noise emanating from the aircraft’s ultra-thin metal skin in flight and the lack of a bullet-proof windscreen, seat armour and self-sealing fuel tanks. The Wildcat was developed in the late 1930s and came into service in early 1940s. While its performance was a little less than the Zero, however its ruggedness and better use of in with US Tactics gave it an improved kill ratio over the Zero. Lessons learned from the Wildcat were used to develop the much improved Hellcat.

The Zero

The Zero was a new kit from Airfix in 2011  The kit is part of their series one range. The painting instructions for the single example provided for on the decal sheet are printed in colour in the instructions. The kit’s 47 parts are nicely moulded and the panel lines are very engraved, the kit does include options for folded wings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Wildcat

This Zero was a new kit from Airfix  2015  The kit is part of their series one range. The kit is part of their series one range. The painting instructions for the single example provided for on the decal sheet are printed in colour in the instructions.The kit’s 58 parts are nicely moulded and the panel lines are very engraved, the kit does include options for folded wings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Markings

The decal sheet from Cartograf (so no issues there) gives us one option for each aircraft. These are B11-181 From the Carrier Soryu, Battle of Midway June 4th 1942, and F-22 From the Fighting 8, USS Hornet (CV-) Battle of Midways June 4th 1942.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Conclusion

This looks like another winner from Airfix. The kits are well moulded, nicely detailed and if they build up as well as they look there should be no problems. As a keen modeller of 1:72 subjects I have to say I’m very happy with Airfix’s recent output and I look forward to more of the same.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are the display stands similar to the Spitfire one?  Outlines of the aircraft or generic?

EDIT: I see now it is just one stand for both models.  Ignore me. 😊

52 minutes ago, PZRGREN said:

Are the display stands similar to the Spitfire one?  Outlines of the aircraft or generic?

It is one of their generic Black Stands, it does come with a Sticker to add to the base if you want.

spacer.png

• Like 1