1/76 Mersey-class RNLI Lifeboat

Having put it off for quite some time, recently I decided to start attacking my 1/76 Mersey-class lifeboat. £18 is a bit of a steal for a 3D printed kit of this size, so I was quite happy when it arrived. Unfortunately, the more I look at it the more inaccuracies I find to correct - most notable of which is that the hull is quite considerably too shallow. There are also some significant errors around the cabin windows and flying bridge, as well as an incorrect hatch. The deck is also too low and the stern profile seems too flat.

51231046391_b7b946bdf1_b.jpg

51231814129_1525f28dfc_b.jpg

51230337937_a721993b77_b.jpg

That being said, there aren't too many options out there for an all-weather lifeboat (especially if you want something smaller than a Severn) so I decided to see what could be done with it. I'll also be building a Shannon too at some point so we'll see how they compare.

Work so far has mostly consisted of trying to smooth off the very 'stepped print and removing some of the more crude detailing. The deck height is slowly getting there, though still a few layers to go at the bow before smoothing it all off. I tried shaping the stern to match the curved profile of the actual vessels & think it looks better though not perfect, but having run out of material to shape it'll have to do.

51231257593_8efbafeae2_z.jpg

51231257618_4e9f674547_c.jpg

I've also cut away the inaccurate parts from the rear. Again, it won't be perfect as I'm not convinced the window spacing is 100% but hopefully it'll look better. I think the cabin may be too tall already but I'm going to have to add a mm or 2 to the roof to get the proportions right relative to the windows. The front cabin windows also need reducing in height as they should match the sides.

51231257583_1c9e25de7c_b.jpg

In all honesty, if I was to make another of these I think I'd use the hull and build the deck and cabin from scratch, but too late now!

• Like 4