Has anyone actually made an accurate F-35 without bumps?

Sydhuey

Has anyone actually made an accurate F-35 model yet without the ridiculous raised RAM panel lines, the F-35 is quite smooth not with the large panel lines like every model I have seen so far , the panel lines raised on the models should be decals not molded in.   

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 2

Yes, Hasegawa’s 1/72 kits are quite smooth in comparison to what’s on offer elsewhere. It may not be as detailed, however looks more like the real example IMO
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

There are plenty of photos on Facebook and for Australian fans the “Friends of the RAAF F-35” page has some glorious close up photos of our new jets. After seeing two up close at their first Avalon Airshow appearance, I decided there and then that (apart from the 1/72 Hasegawa  kit) all other manufacturers F-35 kits very much over emphasised these RAM panels.

I’m the first to admit that you sacrifice internal detail going the Hasegawa way, although I would think the overall finish will be a closer match to the real thing. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

The 1/48 MENG F-35A also has the RAM panels raised, but less than other manufacturers' kits (Kittyhawk for instance) and I am sure they can be smoothened even further with a few extra coats of paint.

• Like 1

I suspect someone, in the not too distant future, will release an "updated" F-35 kit that more accurately represents the surfaces of the latest production example airplanes. Tamiya to the rescue, please?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jpk said:

I am in the laborious process of completely removing them from my 1/48 Kitty Hawk F-35C Lightening. 

You have my sympathy. I have their A kit here and dreaded all that work, so I have put it aside since the arrival of the MENG kit. Probably going to be part of the spares box.

On 08/06/2021 at 13:32, SAT69 said:

I suspect someone, in the not too distant future, will release an "updated" F-35 kit that more accurately represents the surfaces of the latest production example airplanes. Tamiya to the rescue, please?

I believe Tamiya were involved in the creation of the Italeri 1/32 F35A.  Strange thing is, providing the RAM panels as decals must be considerably easier then moulding them  so i'm really surprised kit manufacturers didn't go down that route a lot earlier?

Looks like there’s an opportunity for another modelling manufacturer, who has not yet produced an F-35 to almost clean up here. Give us a decent, smooth fuselage and detailed 1/72 and 1/48 F-35A/B/C and it should be on the market for as long as the real aircraft keeps operating (thats 30+ years I reckon!). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 2:26 PM, Harrier/ViperFan said:

Hase does a Beast mod version where you have the weapon bays open and weapons on the wings thats not included in the standard version. But it's a lot more expensive over the standard kit though. 

No weaps bays for Hasegawa's 1/72 F-35s, not even in beast mode, just additional underwing pylons and weapons.

F-35B beast mode

1/72 Hasegawa F-35A beast mode,

On 7/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, Robertone139 said:

No weaps bays for Hasegawa's 1/72 F-35s, not even in beast mode, just additional underwing pylons and weapons.

F-35B beast mode

1/72 Hasegawa F-35A beast mode,

So that big step in price for a few added bombs and missiles.. 🤬

• Haha 1

Quite frankly, that thread just shows again how boring and dull these stealth jets really are (except for the gorgeous Nighthawk).

No raised panels, everything smooth, all grey .... from a modelling standbpoint ..... meeeeh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you’re willing to take the time to mask and paint multiple shades of grey you end up with a busy looking model which detracts from the plain, clean shape of the aircraft. 

Always thought the late harrier Gr’s were more interesting in multiple shades of grey but that’s just my opinion.

David 

• Like 1