FlyHawk 1/700 Bismarck *Photo Etch done

Trumpeter are pretty much the only game in town when it comes to 1/200 capital ships.  I'm about 20% through the build of their 1/200 Iowa and I have the Hood and Hornet to come after that.  If you have the time/money, you can go crazy with these kits with add on sets from the likes of Pontos and there are an awful lot of 3D printed parts available now as well.

Problem is that, the larger the size the more any issues with the kit become more obvious, I don't think that there is a single Trumpeter 1/200 kit that gets the hull shape right, the Iowa for example, has the wrong kind of 5" guns included and, whilst 3D printed replacements are available, when you need 10 of them it starts to get very expensive, so far the Iowa has cost me around £600 by the time I've paid for the kit, Pontos detail set and some 3D parts but, even if I worked on it every day, it would be a years work so cost per day is pretty low.

I'll be honest, the hull shape problems don't bother me as I know that 99.9% of people who ever see the finished model won't know so I concentrate on the quality of the build rather than outright accuracy.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, johndon said:

Trumpeter are pretty much the only game in town when it comes to 1/200 capital ships.  I'm about 20% through the build of their 1/200 Iowa and I have the Hood and Hornet to come after that.  If you have the time/money, you can go crazy with these kits with add on sets from the likes of Pontos and there are an awful lot of 3D printed parts available now as well.

Problem is that, the larger the size the more any issues with the kit become more obvious, I don't think that there is a single Trumpeter 1/200 kit that gets the hull shape right, the Iowa for example, has the wrong kind of 5" guns included and, whilst 3D printed replacements are available, when you need 10 of them it starts to get very expensive, so far the Iowa has cost me around £600 by the time I've paid for the kit, Pontos detail set and some 3D parts but, even if I worked on it every day, it would be a years work so cost per day is pretty low.

I'll be honest, the hull shape problems don't bother me as I know that 99.9% of people who ever see the finished model won't know so I concentrate on the quality of the build rather than outright accuracy.

I like the idea of using division by a daily basis to lower the cost of builds, I'm going to run this past the rest of my household and see how it goes...I may not be heard of again.

There's a 1/200 Warrior if you fancy something completely different.

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, johndon said:

so I concentrate on the quality of the build rather than outright accuracy.

👍 Me too, although my quality doesn't match the skill of many here. Still, I enjoy them, and to me that's rule no.1

Keep up the good work Guy, the model is coming along very well. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

Good to see your skills beng applied to another maritime subject Guy.

Thinking about your Revell Flower Class, instead of 1/200 scale have you considered a 1/72nd or 1/35th scale vessel ? 

Hi Richard,

Yes, I’d be interested in anything really, but I don’t think the 1/72 Corvette would be an option though.. too poor a base kit. I’ve been spoilt by Flyhawk!

@Iceman 29 Pascal, I’ve just revisited your 1/200 Bismarck, and I’d forgotten what a treasure trove of information it is! Wish I’d seen that during my build.

@Adm Lord De Univers

No idea what a 1/200 Warrior is David?!

5 hours ago, johndon said:

Thanks John,

Yes, that’s a good way to view it price wise. I never really begrudge model money as its my main leisure outlet and I get so much from it.

Is there a best Trumpeter kit in terms of quality and fit? 

Guy

ps tbh I’ve had another spurt and she looks pretty much done. But of course, she’s not. I haven’t started lifeboats, rigging or the main railings - I enjoy PE pre paint - I don’t like it so much post paint 😜

27-BCCF30-5852-4-C69-9058-8299-E18-E2-B8

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Is there a best Trumpeter kit in terms of quality and fit? 

Of the three I've got so far, Iowa, Hood & Hornet, I'd say that there is very little difference in terms of quality and fit.  All have their inaccuracies but all build up in to very impressive models, particularly if you go the extra mile with a third party add on set.  I've currently got my eye on the MK1 set for the Hornet and I do want the Pontos set for the Hood but they seem to have become as rare as hens teeth in the UK...

• Like 1

Thanks John,

BNA model world in Australia do them. I know it sounds a long way, but I have found them to be very good in the past.

The only thing putting me off the Hood is there’s no aircraft. I like doing an aircraft, and in that scale you could really go to town on it. 

The detail up sets are quite pricey, MkI particularly so. Any specific recommendations there? I see the Bismarck Pontos sets has a super detail option and an advanced set (more money).

Guy

4 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks John,

BNA model world in Australia do them. I know it sounds a long way, but I have found them to be very good in the past.

The only thing putting me off the Hood is there’s no aircraft. I like doing an aircraft, and in that scale you could really go to town on it. 

The detail up sets are quite pricey, MkI particularly so. Any specific recommendations there? I see the Bismarck Pontos sets has a super detail option and an advanced set (more money).

Guy

The only set I have personal experience of is the Pontos set for the Iowa.  It is superbly well engineered and features an insane number of parts.  It is easier to put together than I initially feared but some of the parts are so small that they can't even be picked up with tweezers so I have opted not to include some of the them as I suspect trying to use them would just end up with me making a mess...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Ps

I think there’s a Trumpeter 1/200 Gneisenau due out this summer?

But I guess no aftermarket for it yet?

Guy

I believe there is which would make sense after the Scharnhorst but I assume the add on manufacturers will be be waiting to get a hold of one first.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 8:17 PM, johndon said:

I do want the Pontos set for the Hood but they seem to have become as rare as hens teeth in the UK...

Sadly nobody picked up Pontos in the UK after we stopped stocking them last December.

Just now, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Sadly nobody picked up Pontos in the UK after we stopped stocking them last December.

I'd noticed, the set pops up on eBay regularly but not the extra fret for the correct sized funnel.

I got my Iowa set from you back in the day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Used to speak to you  (your house move etc)   you sent  a kit a  few years back.

Erk.

• Thanks 1

I seem to have lost impetus with this.. I bought a 1/200 Bismarck and I’m so excited by that that I’ve lost my mojo on this one - it’s not perfect either. It’s an affliction I have. I’ll put it to one side for a few days and see how I go…

Here’s where it’s at:

87-F98-F22-FA1-C-4399-BD13-74816-F0-BD85

Guy

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Guy, this is too good to leave unfinished, imperfections or not. And I can't see any .  .  .   Regards, Jeff.

I Agree with Jeff get it done and then you can do a comparison when the 200 scale one is done.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2

Second all comments above, I'd look at it that completing this beaut is creating more shelf space and a trial run for the 1/200. I also suspect the detail on flyhawk's will put the latter to shame.

Re: imperfections, get yourself down to specsavers! But, if you must deny us this build, set yourself a new challenge and model it as at 10am on the 27.05.41, I have a lighter and power drill you can borrow...

David

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, 

It’s not really the model, I’m like that with most models I make. There’re just a few things. I rushed the lifeboats due my mojo fading. I just can’t see myself rigging her. But if you put something to one side, you sometimes see it in a new light later on. Anyway, I enjoyed the build very much - it’s the process I like. The FlyHawk kit is awesome and it genuinely seems to have far better detail than the 1/200 Trumpeter version.

Guy

ps I’ve still got the FlyHawk Scharnhorst in the stash which should be better after this experience.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

But, if you must deny us this build, set yourself a new challenge and model it as at 10am on the 27.05.41, I have a lighter and power drill you can borrow...

David

I may well take you up on that David - then sink it in the fish tank…:fish:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

set yourself a new challenge and model it as at 10am on the 27.05.41, I have a lighter and power drill you can borrow...

9 hours ago, Gisbod said:

then sink it in the fish tank…

Gidday, if you're going to do that then quickly throw an Airfix Bismarck kit together. I bought one and ended up using it for parts. But don't destroy this build. Pleeeeeze!

Another idea to help you complete this build - have SWMBO (Mrs Gisbod) lock the 1/200 kit away until the 1/700 kit is finished. Maybe as an added incentive she could stand over you while you do it, with her wearing black leathers and thigh boots, and carrying a whip!    Ooohhh, now I'm getting all excited. 😜 Just trying to help.

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

Crikey Jeff,

I think you’re mixing up your forums.. 🤪

I won’t bin it, I’ll just let it mellow for a few days. Bissie won’t be arriving for a couple of weeks I think.

G

• Like 1

• 1 year later...