FlyHawk 1/700 Bismarck *Photo Etch done

Hello all,

Firstly, my apologies for disappearing off the ship scene for so long. I’m really an aircraft modeller that caught the ship bug some time ago but, although I was pleased with what I produced, I was always disappointed with my rigging at the end. I could never really get it to the same standard as the rest of the build. I’m also a perfectionist - that doesn’t mean I build perfectly - just I’m always disappointed at the end of a project! Anyway, it left me falling out of love with naval subjects and my FlyHawk Bismarck and Scharnhorst kits were left gathering dust in the stash. 

However, I recently saw a link for the upcoming FlyHawk HMS Hood and that re piqued my interest as the whole ‘Hunt the Bismarck’ story has always fascinated me - then I saw the recent build on here of the FlyHawk Bismarck by Haneto. I was super impressed by the rigging! Anyway, I’ve suddenly got my Naval mojo back and I’ve dragged the Bismarck out of the stash!

And here she is - FlyHawk 1/700 FH1132S Deluxe edition:

CCB91-E4-C-1-E70-4-FD3-BA03-AA2681-B96-D

I wanted to finish her in the Hood encounter scheme, but when I got the kit originally I had some masks made up for the deck swastikas and I really want to use these (love a bit of bling), so I think I will have to build her as the ‘Operation Rheinübung’ version with the Hull stripes. 

Another reason to build is the imminent arrival of a display cabinet. I’ve never had that before and all my previous builds end up in a box, then the bin, but I’m now determined to actually keep my finished models, dust free(ish) and on display. As ships are so susceptible to handling damage it will be nice to know all the effort expended in building will actually have some meaning for once (well that’s the plan anyway 😀).

With previous builds I made them waterline, but I think this will be fully hulled for the cabinet.

I’ve got a Blue Wox deck…

4-A12-E6-AB-5500-4229-8-A08-248-EB141-D0

And the usual heavy tomes of slightly daunting instructions.. massively complicated by the PE!

9-A6-A8-B9-B-D40-F-4532-9196-79978626780

20-E95-FF9-92-DD-4-B86-B7-F8-A3949250-FF

These FlyHawk kits are real modelling gems aren’t they?

I have brass stands but, on reflection, I think these are too big for this scale, so I may just sit the finished model on a simple black Perspex base, luckily it’s flat bottomed.

BC8-B8-E77-0-C0-B-4818-BA9-E-84-A828-B13

Here’s the intended colour scheme…

A9-FA5-E0-B-047-E-4391-9326-A01-B125565-

And I’ve found a nice set of computer generated images online that show lovely detail and colour….

752-F59-B5-2-BF3-46-F4-B21-C-50-FDABC6-C

Any pitfalls I should be looking for?

When is the Hood deluxe model available and from where? I did email Mike at Starling Models but had no reply?

Any tips, criticism welcome, I always want to improve my modelling - I’m not proud!

Can’t wait to get stuck in! I hope you’ll have me back 🥴

Thanks for looking in,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

I wanted to finish her in the Hood encounter scheme, but when I got the kit originally I had some masks made up for the deck swastikas and I really want to use these (love a bit of bling), so I think I will have to build her as the ‘Operation Rheinübung’ version with the Hull stripes. 

Gidday Gisbod, good to see you back. I think you may be able to have your cake and eat it too - re the swastikas and the Denmark Strait. Although the side camo scheme (Baltic camouflage) was painted out at Bergen I've seen photos of the wreck that suggest the swastikas were retained. I suggest however that you enquire further, I have been known to be wrong, but you might be lucky here. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Ah thanks Jeff,

It’s nice to be back! Funny, but as soon as I read that I remembered seeing the same photos. A quick google search came up with this…

5-D89175-E-3-CA8-4-F7-F-A12-D-60656-D3-A

Guy

• Like 3

Ps

I wonder why all colour scheme drawings I’ve found seem to have the swastikas painted out for this engagement then?

Incidentally, the kit decal sheet has a set of swastikas, but the instructions depict a grey painted area where they would have been. The only marking option is for the final engagement.

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

Sorry, final question!

Some schemes show the Hull stripes faintly showing through the new paint, would this have been realistic or perhaps just an artist’s impression? Are there any photos available showing Bismarck in any detail during or just before this mission?

Guy

Gidday Guy, I think the ships were at Bergen only for a matter of hours, during which the camo schemes were painted out on both ships. Until Bismarck's wreck was found I assumed ALL camo was painted out (including the swastikas) so I guess others may have thought so too. And it may have been a quick slap on paint job considering time restraints. The weather was rather heavy before she was sunk so some of the new paint could have come off. I must stress here, this is pure conjecture on my part. But I guess it could be plausible. Others may have more reliable info. Photos of Bismarck's stbd side during and after the battle seem to show (to me anyway) a single shade of grey, with a bit of a dark smudge on the hull just fwd of 'X' (Casar) turret. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Afternoon, this is exactly my Bis pickle too (camo) and I also want my own cake to chow down all to myself. Fortunately (but not for my wallet) I have been given 2x Bismarcks to build! I believe the swastikas were painted over in grey at Korsfjord, and it is my belief this paint eroded away showing them after sinking (although one survivor says they were there when she sank).  I have consistently seen pictures and drawings where I can make out the Baltic stripes under the grey on the hull (which is more interesting to me) but not so much on the superstructure - the latter of which seems to have been done underway over a few days and is therefore more thorough. The crew also landed some boats, dinghies and other gear at various points so you might also want to consider how you want her to look (though since no records survive I dont know how accurate some of that info will be).

Incidentally, to confuse matters more, I have seen conflicting witness reports, survivor testimony and photo dates showing the colour of turret roofs at different times (but its between yellow, red and light or dark grey). Personally, and this may horrify some, but I go with whatever camo I prefer even if the date is years out from the scene it is in. It does seem that in all the false bow wave was kept, the funnel top was aluminium in colour and the superstructure light grey is a lighter shade than the hull light grey).

I have a ton and books, photos and links if you want, pm me.

So, there's a Flyhawk Hood on it's way to my house? Anybody know when postie will have that for me?

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff & David, that’s very helpful!

It would explain it if it was hastily painted over and may well have simply washed off at sea..

I do take the same approach as you David - I try to get it right, but I’m quite happy to go with what I think looks best to my eye if there’s not any concrete evidence. I’m liking the red turret tops already! 

If you’ve got any nice photos David I’d love to see them? I’ve got quite a few books on the chase, but not many photos.

Guy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gisbod said:

I do take the same approach as you David - I try to get it right, but I’m quite happy to go with what I think looks best to my eye if there’s not any concrete evidence.

Gidday, me too. I did a Revell 1/570 Bismarck many years ago, before I had any info of the ship. Hence mine has the camo on the hull sides only, and still has the range finder mounted in 'A' (Anton) turret. Oh well .  .  .   🙂

Regards, Jeff.

Yep, I've never been one for letting accuracy get in the way of artistic licence!

Quick question re wooden decks. Do you varnish / coat / leave them? I’m just wondering about the pros & cons? I don’t intend to weather them as such, just what method looks best?

Thanks,

Guy

Very interesting thread. I won't probably be building Bismarck, but maybe a ORP Piorun (G65) someday? Piorun was the first Allied destroyer which detected Bismarck during the final fight and even shot several salvoes against the behemoth "for the glory of Poland" (as not with the intention to inflict a real damage, which was quite impossible). One can easily build Piorun from the Flyhawk Jupiter.

spacer.png

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 3

Ah yes, a very brave action and the Polish part is largely overlooked I think.

So I’ve actually made a start. As I mentioned before, I haven’t made one of these kits full Hull before and although the plastic parts are perfectly moulded, I did struggle a bit to get a perfect line along the join between the lower and upper hull. The plastic is very fine and inevitably there’s a little bending here and there. I’m talking nano measures, but I did have to do some sanding to eliminate micro ridges. All turned out fine though. 

Boring picture I know but this is how she stands with a little pre shading.

Guy

C82-B8-A7-B-EF2-E-4-A71-BC93-8-FAE85-E82

• Like 3

Gidday Guy, no picture is boring (except maybe my driver's licence photo 😫). Without any superstructure or turrets it shows the lines of the hull. While a heavy-weight as warships go she (Hitler insisted on 'He') still had graceful lines I think. Although Scharnhorst came first in that respect, to me anyway.

Sorry I didn't respond to your question regarding wood decks on models but I can't advise you there, as I don't use them.

Looking forward to seeing more progress. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Following with interest. Got the 1/350 version of the Bismarck and was thinking about the camo too. I will be watching your take with interest.

• Like 1

Thanks anyway Jeff,

I’m just wondering if it ties it all together or looks better natural… 

IJNfan Please do 😀

I masked up the decks and sprayed the swastikas - quite pleased with the effect. I can’t see how a decal would work over wood…

Guy

ps I also painted up the Hull - I went with the Denmark Straits look in the end. I’ll post proper pictures once the deck’s in place.

E0733130-A96-B-4611-AFF4-6264-D015469-D.

6-D132-DBE-79-E9-4660-A0-D3-357492689-E6

6-B432164-FB84-4-E46-9502-38-AB25174-BB1

297-ACD40-8-B5-E-47-B7-BEFD-D73145-E6576

• Like 6

Gidday Guy, spray painting direct onto your only wood deck - you're a braver man than me. Don't know how else you'd do it though. But it came up really nicely, very well done. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks 😀

I do like the peculiarities of a ship build - you basically start with paint and weathering! All the big fun bits in the first flourish… Hull painted up and weathered, wood deck on. 

Guy

ps I forgot to gloss coat the plastic deck before sticking on the wooden deck. A tip I picked up from the forum when I last built a ship. I hope this doesn’t cause issues in the future.. That said, the adhesive bites like mad and seems almost impossible to move once it’s made contact! 

A447-D092-1-C5-F-43-DD-80-AC-25-B26118-F

1-BBC386-B-F798-433-C-B234-CCAB73955-A2-

B074206-E-FE74-47-B9-B946-A37-B0-BD5-BD2

6-CCFAC50-6-C2-D-43-AF-85-AB-DF20-D2210-

• Like 3

• Gisbod changed the title to FlyHawk 1/700 Bismarck *Deck & Hull

Just caught up with this looking good but 700 :hypnotised: for some good reference material look out for the Seaforth range of books and Kagero top drawings

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 3

Evening all,

Thought I’d dive in on the Arado aircraft as I see these as key to the finished overall look. I don’t find these easy! Seriously stretching every modelling skill I have in this tiny scale. I honestly don’t think I could improve on this if I tried 100 times. There’s simply a limit to what can be done…

I’ll try my best not to break it between now and the finished kit.. I’ve already lost the spinner! 🤪

Guy

B427-CF7-B-B660-47-AD-ADF6-A30-E17-DBF23

02256-CCA-39-AC-471-A-81-EA-1971-B53-C31

BA787-DA2-ACC2-4-A99-9027-71-B12-EB29-D6

02-B17-E95-9-B20-4-CFE-A11-D-495-F267-D0

53870486-73-C9-4211-9-C28-677-A2-BD7-AD0

• Like 14

• Gisbod changed the title to FlyHawk 1/700 Bismarck *Arado 196