Peruvian Su-22 (S-32M2K) from a Modelsvit kit?

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

My latest project idea Is a string of Fitters. My question is about the conversion of a Modelsvit kit to the long nose version. Are there any conv kits out there? Thanks. 

Martin

Hi, what would you consider as "long nosed"?

The bulbous "dropped" nose , M3/M4,?

Or the M2 version with the "podded" sensors,?

Not sure about different airframe length though

Hi Werner - the Su-22M2

Edit:

I have the Modelsvit Su-22M (in the post) (No.72020) plus the Misterscraft Su-22M2 (No.D-45). I am thinking of putting the Mistercraft nose on the Modelsvit. 

Hmmm .,.... I just found this 

It appears that I can get a FAP Su-22M2 from the Modelsvit Su-22M, the diffs being the engine fairing and the nose inlet..... Am I wrong?

Martin

the Modelsvit No 72020 is a Su-20, not a -22

https://www.scalemates.com/sr/kits/modelsvit-72020-su-20--997046

again a Al-21 engine.

the Mistercraft Su-22M2 at least in theory should be correct. I have no idea about the plastic though, sorry!

I assume it comes with the correct nose. I doubt about the engine/ rear fuselage

I see now, from 3view drawings, that the Su-22M2 had not only the jet area differences but also a forward fin change, different scoops (because of the engine, I guess) as well as the longer nose. If the Mistercraft proves to be a true Su-22M2 with the correct jet engine shrouding, and is true 1/72, I reckon I could mate the two ;). I was hoping for a more simple build! :(. Now, dont tell me that the Modelsvit Su-22M3 isnt good for a Peruvian ;) !  

Martin

I have the Mistercraft Su-22M3 and I'm sure I've commented on this kit before, in any case the short version is that the rear fuselage is a mix between the two variants, the profile is more similar to the R29 powered ones but with the air scoops closer in configuration to the AL21 engined aircraft... so yes, it can be used as basis for a proper Su22M2 but requires some work.. well, quite some work.... If you look at pictures of the two variants with the kit in your hands you'll see what I mean.

Of course the kit is very crude, with very few panel lines reproduced by wide trenches and detail parts are almost useless but you'd be using the Modelsvit ones anyway.

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

These are probably the thread where the difference in rear fuselage shapes are discussed in more depth

Thanks a lot, Giorgio. I might rethink my strategy. If it spoils the Modelsvit M3 I might build a Russian :)  

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Su-20A (previously titled Su-22M2 in error)

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Oops .... sorry to mislead you all :( 

Us, or mostly yourself? ;)

The Su-20 is a different story@

You can even do two in West German markings....ad they received them from Egypt....

Poland, Syria also had some!

Not sure about the designation Su-20A,  that I've never seen before, in any case a Su-20 would be an export variant of the Su-17M, with the same AL-21F engine. Users included Poland, Egypt, Syria and Iraq. 

Modelsvit have issued a kit for this variant so there would be no need for any conversion. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

@Giorgio N and Werner @exdraken The Su-20A designation is Peruvian I think. So, it looks like I can simply use the Modelsvit kit with the longer nose? For absolute certainty this is the variant I am talking about:

Martin

in the rest of the world this version is called somthing like a Su-22M2

I think you can see the R-29 powered fatter rear end 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Peru-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-20/1212165/L

https://www.laahs.com/the-sukhoi-su-22-in-peruvian-service/

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Peru-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-22M2/891164/L

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6017618

I fear there are no Al-21 powerd Fitters in Peru.... :( sorry!

29 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

@Giorgio N and Werner @exdraken The Su-20A designation is Peruvian I think. So, it looks like I can simply use the Modelsvit kit with the longer nose? For absolute certainty this is the variant I am talking about:

Martin

Martin, these are pictures of the Su-22, so based on the Su-17M2 but with an R29 engine.