Pink Horror

Hi all,

Been a bit busy with work the last few weeks so while I have painted some bits and bobs I haven't updated here much. To remedy that, here's a Pink Horror (lesser daemon of Tzeentch) which was the free Games Workshop model a month or so ago. I started it really promptly and then got stuck on the fire and put it to one side for several weeks so didn't manage to finish in the same month I started.

51204880962_b5426415af_b.jpg

Pink Horrors are supposed to be roiling flickering creations coalescing out of chaotic magic, and they normally get painted some variety of bright or pastel pink. My daughter suggested an iridescent oily look and I thought that was a cool idea but I wasn't sure that I could pull it off. Instead, I've gone for a "raw plucked chicken" look and tried to make everything look very grounded to play up the horror aspect a bit.

51206644855_11d777af2f_b.jpg

51204864162_c64df37dc8_b.jpg

I tried to keep to a fairly limited palette of pinks and reds for the horror, and greens/yellows for the fire. I was really stuck on how to approach the latter as it's not very realistic in that it sort of comes out of the metal icon and has strange magical jewellery floating in it. Ended up going for a sort of dank marshy witchfire with Tzeentch eyes floating in it.

51206346404_dcfcc102e0_b.jpg

The metals and ornamentation I tried to keep quite dull and tarnished apart from the gems themselves.

NB: The original model's staff was probably an inch longer than this - I shortened it and changed some details, and re-posed one of the arms to take it out of the plane of the mould somewhat.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/920x950/99129915032_PinkHorrors01.jpg

So I'm not totally happy with the result (there's no angle where it looks just right in a photo which is extremely irritating) but it was an interesting exercise and I think the non-staff-wielding horrors would suit this pale pink veiny skin look quite well.

Cheers,

Will  

• Like 12

Thanks folks, it is a bit weird isn't it? Normally I like my models but this one is a bit grim. Although I do wonder what other Tzeentch creatures would look like in a similar style?

W

• 1 month later...

There's a 'plucked chicken' theme going on there which I find truly horrible, being slightly birdophobic. I wouldn't want it in my display cabinet despite the very interesting painting. I especially like your blends on the staff. Well done