Bf. 109E-4 Special Hobby 1/72 - ## FINISHED ##

I do have the SH kit in my stash, but it’s a bit late in the GB to start now, for me at any rate. Looks too nice to rush. I’m tempted to do a quick Airfix E4, just enjoy a basic OOB build.

• Like 2

On 02/08/2021 at 22:10, janneman36 said:

This is a great looking kit John and you are doing a stellar job on it 👍

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan. I am impressed with this kit, it has gone together really well.

Cheers,

John.

On 02/08/2021 at 22:35, Johnson said:

I do have the SH kit in my stash, but it’s a bit late in the GB to start now, for me at any rate. Looks too nice to rush. I’m tempted to do a quick Airfix E4, just enjoy a basic OOB build.

I don't blame you Charlie, it's worth taking your time with this one. I hope that you manage to squeeze in another build.

Best Regards,

John.

• Like 1

Wings are finally on this little 109 and the wing root joins are excellent, with the forward and aft joins on the underside requiring a smear of filler - which will be the first time I have had to break out the filler on this build.

51358207322_ae18081514_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51358207367_eabf08deaf_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51358207447_2a5d1602ed_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51358207242_f957b32e29_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 8

Looks like an amazing kit, and thanks for showing us the build in great detail. I’ve built the new Airfix kit (twice) and loved it, but this is quite a few steps up in detail and finesse. Looking forward to more!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While waiting for paint to dry on my Jet Provost, I managed to do some more to this lovely little kit. I have added the flaps, ailerons and rudder and after painting up the gun sight, that was glued in place along with the fixed canopy sections.

51396728557_8e9ffd6565_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51397740343_73fb8de3b5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51398353834_27922610ca_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The engine and gun bay covers have been adjusted where necessary to fit and I have glued the gun bay one in place. There is a small gap where the nose gun cover meets the forward canopy section which is a bit of a mystery because everything seems to fit OK, maybe I haven't got something quite lined up correctly along the way so another small amount of filler required there, only the second lot on this build.

51398353914_6b8c30bb39_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have also assembled the undercarriage legs and have a bit heads up for future builders, the kit instructions for this boxing have the part numbers for the legs (B18 & B19) transposed and they need to be fitted to the the opposite door to give the correct stance.

Cheers

John

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing much to report other than that painting is underway. The fuselage sides and underside have had a few thin coats of Light Blue and I have brushed on the first of the camouflage colours (RLM02) on the wings and tailplanes in a rough final pattern. I'll get on with brushing the RLM 71 shortly, refining the camouflage as I go, and once that is dry I can mask off a high line on the fuselage sides ready to add the camo colours to the top of the fuselage. I hope to have all of that finished today, then I can get on with decals over the weekend.

51421459693_b7f8f34324_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51421205006_5098f00153_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51422190725_3a5bcf0fd1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

Hi John,

this is really nice, and this kit is amazing! A quantum leap from the Airfix 109. OK, a small leap, but a leap nonetheless. I will have to steal one at the first opportunity!

You are doing a great job! Which paint scheme are you going for?

Cheers

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2021 at 17:57, jean said:

Hi John,

this is really nice, and this kit is amazing! A quantum leap from the Airfix 109. OK, a small leap, but a leap nonetheless. I will have to steal one at the first opportunity!

You are doing a great job! Which paint scheme are you going for?

Cheers

JR

Thanks very much Jean. It is a nice little kit, that deserves some time to check the fit before committing to glue. It goes together really well and, as you say, it is a step up in terms of detail from the Airfix kit, any issues that have cropped up during this build are probably of my own making. The Airfix kit is still a great standby which looks the part when finished and if I was making a number of 109's it would be my go to choice, but for a one off build I would pick this one. 

I finished the painting last night/very early hours of this morning and have added a gloss finish ready for decals.

51423446358_2b6d3388fd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

As for the scheme I have chosen, I am going with Helmut Wicks -E4 which has a stipple pattern that I would never have any hope of achieving, but I think that these will help me to get somewhere near that illusive finish. It says, just add the crosses to finish the scheme. Simples!!! Let's see if things are as easy as that 🤞 - otherwise there may have to be a rapid appearance of some yellow and an alternative colour scheme. :lol:

51424174965_96cb299501_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 3

Hi John,

it indeed does look so simple....

I have heard that one before. Good luck!

JR

• Like 1

I have just about finished adding decals to one side and I am quite surprised at how easy they are to apply. They are far more resilient than I thought they were going to be, and have bedded down well. If you are tempted to try these then I would suggest that you don't leave them in the water too long, just enough to get them sliding on the backing paper and add plenty of water to the area that they are destined for to help slide them in position. 

51422725702_fc5e707678_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

There is a small area towards the tail where I haven't quite brought the upper camouflage colours down enough that will need some attention, either by touching in the paint or adding extra decal from the spare sections provided but I'll check where the fault lies first.

Other side next, then on with the crosses.

Cheers

John

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks very good John, and brave of you to tackle those sheet decals!

Thanks for your kind comment Charlie. I was pleasantly surprised with the stipple scheme decals, they went on much easier than I thought they would and the decal stage is all but done, just a few stencils to go on the aileron trim tabs and the prop. I will mask up the canopies next and paint in the frames and while I have got the paint out I can touch in the areas in front of the tail. After that It will be time to fit the struts, mass balances, pitot, m/g's and radio mast and it shouldn't be too far off being finished.

51425177645_891af3a24e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51425177545_0cb9d86f34_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Regards

John.

• Like 5

I have just completed the last job on this build with the addition of the aerial wire. Earlier I had decided to replace the wing M/G's with some Master brass barrels which look much better than the kit option. Here are a couple of snaps of the end result and I will take some more photos in a little while for the gallery.

I have really enjoyed this build, it has been a lot of fun to do, and there have been new challenges for me along the way.

Thanks to all for their supportive comments as I made slow but steady progress.

John

51426822013_a3218cf466_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51427554655_0c71655dd9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

• nimrod54 changed the title to Bf. 109E-4 Special Hobby 1/72 - ## FINISHED ##

Hi John,

this is a fantastic build! Makorokoto, like they say around here.

The fuselage decal is totally bluffing and will fool more than one! You can show off your brush steeple mastery!

Congrats!!!

And regards to Carron and the Black Beauty!

JR

• Like 1