Special Hobby 1/72 Vautour IIN

Hello all

Bit of a change from red stars I thought I’d try red roundels instead. This is the Special Hobby Vautour IIN, a chunky beast which has been in the stash a while.

Its straight from the box and was a thoroughly enjoyable build. The only criticism I have is in the fitting of the undercarriage. If the instructions are followed the model sits parallel to the ground when it should have a pronounced nose up attitude. I achieved a nose up stance by drilling holes in the main legs, inserting brass rod and then dry fitted them into drilled holes in the fuselage allowing them to move up and down freely. The resin mounts for the outboard wheels were moved down 2-3 mm and glued in place. Then the model was rotated about the outriggers until the desired angle was achieved. A drop super glue then set the main legs in that position.

The rest of the build was pretty straightforward.

The model depicts an aircraft of Escadrille 1/30 “Loire” based at Creil in 1962.

I’ve included a couple of shots of my Yak-27K8 as it was designed around the same time and has a similar U/C layout to the Vautour. Interesting that two designers went for this layout around the same time.

Here are the pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png                                 spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 69

Both models are very well done. Are those flash suppressors on either side of the nose on the Vautour?

• Thanks 1

Two crackers there Pete, both favourite aircraft of mine. I've got a couple of Vautours I need to get too to sit next to my Yak-25! Thanks for the heads up re the u/c sit.

2 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Interesting that two designers went for this layout around the same time.

Perhaps they both copied the B-47..... :)

Really nice models Pete!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Brilliant work on both! I've always thought the Vautour had something of a 'Soviet' look to it. That Yak's nose radar must have been massive compared to the Vautour's, judging from the size of the respective radomes.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Both models are very well done. Are those flash suppressors on either side of the nose on the Vautour?

Thank you. Yes they are flash suppressors. I could have added smoke residue front and rear of them as on some of the pictures I've looked at they got pretty stained. I decided to keep this one clean though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Perhaps they both copied the B-47..... :)

Really nice models Pete!

Thanks Keith. I tried to think of an another aircraft with this type of U/C layout and couldn't bring one to mind. Now you've said the B-47 of course the B-52 had this and the U2 as well. Well done for jolting my old grey cells.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Really lovely work on the Vautour Pete, and the Yak is a cracker too!  I'd never really thought about the similarity in the designs until I saw both yours side by side

Chris

Thanks Chris. Thinking about it that's probably why I fancied making a Vautour, it is a bit Yak like.

Pete

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Learstang said:

That Yak's nose radar must have been massive compared to the Vautour's, judging from the size of the respective radomes.

Yes its huge isn't it. I'm guessing its not a phased array, more of a Jodrell Bank spacer.png 😄

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Natter said:

Very nice. It makes a chanage to see a Vautour in French, rather than Israeli, colours.

Thanks Dave, the kit decals are really good providing several French options including those with yellow and red stripes, it just had to be one of these.

Pete

Stunning Vautour build & looks superb next to that Yak. Would love to build one of these, but still undecided which version. Good idea with the undercarriage sit adjustment, much like that on the Harrier. 

May I ask what metal paints you used?

Martin

• Thanks 1

An extremely impressive build!

I confess the name "Vautour" meant nothing to me, so I have arrived late to this post.

Glad I finally got here, because it is quite an attractive aircraft and a beautifully built model.

:clap2::clap2: 

• Thanks 1