Bristol Blenheim Mk. I (FX F)

Hello Everyone,

I have waited awhile for this GB.

I would like contribute a Bristol Blenheim Mk. 1 in the markings of 62 Sqn. L1134/FX-F (Arthur Stewart King Scarf VC)

I'll be using the Airfix Mk. 1F kit, and source out the markings. (Markings found - Thank You!! DaveyGair)

I am interested in this particular aircraft because it was based in the town across from the little island where I was born.

Remembering my days as a very young boy on the island, watching RAAF Mirages fly around the skies.

I've since immigrated to Canada, but there's a little bit of the island boy in me still. (Sorry... TMI)

GK1cCWt.jpg

Edited by CanadaMoe
Decals found.
  • Like 6

@CanadaMoe

It's a lovely kit, I joined the front and rear parts together first, along with the glazing before the two halves. Worked Ok but the fitting of the man wing was tougher!

Sent you a PM regarding decals for your build.

Davey.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:39 PM, CanadaMoe said:

Hello Everyone,

I have waited awhile for this GB.

I would like contribute a Bristol Blenheim Mk. 1 in the markings of 62 Sqn. L1134/FX-F (Arthur Stewart King Scarf VC)

I'll be using the Airfix Mk. 1F kit, and source out the markings.

(If anyone has a spare set of these decal and/or interested in swapping/trading please contact me.)

I am interested in this particular aircraft because it was based in the town across from the little island where I was born.

Remembering my days as a very young boy on the island, watching RAAF Mirages fly around the skies.

I've since immigrated to Canada, but there's a little bit of the island boy in me still. (Sorry... TMI)

GK1cCWt.jpg

I’d thought I’d commented earlier about this build, however must have been distracted my something else. Looks like you’ve got your decals sorted, that was nice of @DaveyGair to help out. This is a box that I’d like to add to my collection one day, that No. 600 Squadron BoB version looks very tempting to me. 

Cheers and we look forward to viewing this VC winning aircraft take shape.. Dave 

Thank You so much for the decals, DaveyGair.

Much appreciated.

I've heard/read a lot about the glazing on the kit. It sounds like what you have described is the best approach in dealing with it. Test fit.... Test fit.....Test fit..... on the main wing, then.

7 hours ago, CanadaMoe said:

Thank You so much for the decals, DaveyGair.

Much appreciated.

I've heard/read a lot about the glazing on the kit. It sounds like what you have described is the best approach in dealing with it. Test fit.... Test fit.....Test fit..... on the main wing, then.

I may try the instructions route for my next one, just to see how it compares. I have two Mk.IV's to do as well, so I may chicken out and do it 'my way', we'll see.

The decals are in the post, hopefully arriving in the next few days.

Davey.

Hi @CanadaMoe,

Having built a few Blenheims I have a couple of ideas to offer:

I'll second @DaveyGair's comments about the fuselage having attempted both methods - glue the fuselage together then assemble.

My other previous deviation from the instructions was assemble the engine nacelles first (parts C6, C11, C23, C24 and C2/D11) without the engines, then sand the engines (parts C22, D12) to fit and insert the engine into the completed nacelle. This makes it easier to determine how much to sand off the engines, which are too big.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck with your build, I'm looking forward to seeing it come together!

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DaveyGair Thanks for the update on the decals.

I haven't started the kit yet, trying to working on Tenner GB and Bf109 GB, but have looked at the instruction sheet (several times)....

I'm leaning towards assembling the fuselage then attaching the wings. I'll have to get the tape out and test fit as I go.

I'll try to find some more examples of people who have built the kit and see what their approach was.

@MattG Thanks for the heads up on the engine nacelles.

Moe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CanadaMoe said:

@DaveyGair Thanks for the update on the decals.

I haven't started the kit yet, trying to working on Tenner GB and Bf109 GB, but have looked at the instruction sheet (several times)....

I'm leaning towards assembling the fuselage then attaching the wings. I'll have to get the tape out and test fit as I go.

I'll try to find some more examples of people who have built the kit and see what their approach was.

@MattG Thanks for the heads up on the engine nacelles.

Moe

Because I only have the 'free' version of Flickr I delete photos in older threads as I go along to free up space for more builds, so I can't show you what I did a couple of years ago or so.

Basically assemble the rear, forward and glazing halves of the fuselage.  It means masking the inside of the clear parts but that is fairly simple as I normally just spray the cockpit colour framing on the outside anyway. When you've painted and assembled the interior just join the two halves as normal, it worked fine for me.

Davey.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now, that my Tenner GB is moving to the paint shop, I've got some room on my table to work on the Blenheim.

Nothing to write home about.....

But, I have started!!!!!

qBlr4WR.jpg

vuBVHDG.png

I think my AMS is kicking in....

Edited by CanadaMoe
  • Like 6

I think the 'step' is a mistake, but I never worry about panel lines, they're barely visible on the real things anyway. I've just glued mine with liquid poly and 'squashed' it so that it welds together. I didn't pay much attention to it, just a quick blend in with the sanding sticks.

Enjoy the build, it's a lovely kit when finished, just those necelles, ugh!

Davey.

Yeh, I know what you mean. I just spend some time last week getting the nacelles and engines to fit. There is a bit of sanding on each cylinder head to get it to fit.

I used this build by MattG as a reference for the nacelles.

• Like 1