Fairey IIIF - RAF Mk.IVM/A - Kora 1/72

Finally completed, after one and half month long wait for replacement decals. I present the Fairey IIIF Mk.IVM/A, finished as J9653 of “C” Flight No. 45 Squadron from around 1931, when No. 45 Squadron operated from Helwan base, Cairo, Egypt.  J9653 is well documented airplane, including several photographs in various phases of the service. She was manufactured in 1929 and went to No. 45 Squadron in 1930. Later, she was rebuild as JR9653, posted to No. 6 Squadron in 1934 and was soon lost after ground collision with Fairey Gordon JR9657 in spring 1934.

The model comes from the very first boxing of the recent lovely series of Fairey IIIF/Gordon/Seal kits by Kora. It was build out of the box, with a few corrections and scratchbuild details. Seat belts by Eduard, front gun by Mini World, rear gun by GasPatch, gun sight from spare parts, resin wheels by Kora. The build thread can be viewed here:

The most critical part of the build is the fit of the cockpit decking, which is the price we pay for the universal fuselage allowing both early and later IIIF versions from one fuselage sprue. Does not look bad in my build, but I am sure I will do better next time. Brush painted with combination of Humbrol, Model Master and Revell enamels. Roundels by Xtradecal, the rest of the markings from the kit. As usual, no rigging.

It was surprisingly easy and straightforward build for a short run. I enjoyed it a lot, including the accompanying research described elsewhere on this Forum. More often than not, when I complete a kit, I do not want to see the same one for a certain time. Here I would happily start another right away.

I thought about the photography a lot. Cairo suggests ancient ruins, desert, and scorching sun. Unfortunately, the only sand close to my workbench is the one in the cat’s sand box, and although it alternatively also provides for the occasional pyramid and corresponding olfactory experience evoking picturesque exotic locations, I considered taking photos from such a place for rather improper. Cats may feel offended. Therefore, I believe the ones below, with Blue Nile and palm (pot) in the background, must be sufficient.

20210606-DSC-0072.jpg

20210606-DSC-0078.jpg

20210606-DSC-0079.jpg

20210606-DSC-0090.jpg

20210606-DSC-0087.jpg

20210606-DSC-0089.jpg

20210606-DSC-0093.jpg

• Like 57

Very fine finish on a kit that has a fair few challenges along the way. Your aluminium dope finish is flawless. Great job. 

It looks great.

Your respect for cats is commendable. Should you offend them they can, even after leaving this earth, still come back to get you,

Michael

Edited by Michael51
Alzheimer remembers
  • Haha 1

Thanks a lot to all of you! The support is always very encouraging.

On 6/6/2021 at 4:51 PM, europapete said:

Will have to remember your advice for my next desert diorama. (we have 3 cats) Regards, Pete in RI

We have 1+5 now. Luckily, +5 should be leaving our household within maximum month or so.

15 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Your respect for cats is commendable. Should you offend them they can, even after leaving this earth, still come back to get you,

Right you are, Miaow Too must not be underestimated😀.

Patrik, very nice results, thought the rigging is done with a bit too thin wire, I think. It is not visible at all ;)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/7/2021 at 12:46 PM, Meatbox8 said:

I wish this kit wasn't quite so expensive.

You and me both! Kora has produced some very esoteric injected kit subjects, but boy howdy, are they proud of them!

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Superb job! You do make it hard for me to stick to my “nothing over twenty quid” rule!

Regards,

Adrian

Oh, I am sorry. Big apology to your wallet.😀

• Haha 1

On 06/06/2021 at 16:43, Patrik said:

Finally completed, after one and half month long wait for replacement decals. I present the Fairey IIIF Mk.IVM/A, finished as J9653 of “C” Flight No. 45 Squadron from around 1931, when No. 45 Squadron operated from Helwan base, Cairo, Egypt.  J9653 is well documented airplane, including several photographs in various phases of the service. She was manufactured in 1929 and went to No. 45 Squadron in 1930. Later, she was rebuild as JR9653, posted to No. 6 Squadron in 1934 and was soon lost after ground collision with Fairey Gordon JR9657 in spring 1934.

The model comes from the very first boxing of the recent lovely series of Fairey IIIF/Gordon/Seal kits by Kora. It was build out of the box, with a few corrections and scratchbuild details. Seat belts by Eduard, front gun by Mini World, rear gun by GasPatch, gun sight from spare parts, resin wheels by Kora. The build thread can be viewed here:

The most critical part of the build is the fit of the cockpit decking, which is the price we pay for the universal fuselage allowing both early and later IIIF versions from one fuselage sprue. Does not look bad in my build, but I am sure I will do better next time. Brush painted with combination of Humbrol, Model Master and Revell enamels. Roundels by Xtradecal, the rest of the markings from the kit. As usual, no rigging.

It was surprisingly easy and straightforward build for a short run. I enjoyed it a lot, including the accompanying research described elsewhere on this Forum. More often than not, when I complete a kit, I do not want to see the same one for a certain time. Here I would happily start another right away.

I thought about the photography a lot. Cairo suggests ancient ruins, desert, and scorching sun. Unfortunately, the only sand close to my workbench is the one in the cat’s sand box, and although it alternatively also provides for the occasional pyramid and corresponding olfactory experience evoking picturesque exotic locations, I considered taking photos from such a place for rather improper. Cats may feel offended. Therefore, I believe the ones below, with Blue Nile and palm (pot) in the background, must be sufficient.

20210606-DSC-0072.jpg

20210606-DSC-0078.jpg

20210606-DSC-0079.jpg

20210606-DSC-0090.jpg

20210606-DSC-0087.jpg

20210606-DSC-0089.jpg

20210606-DSC-0093.jpg

Nice and clean.

Alain