Jean Batten's Gull Six

Orso

I have been thinking of building Jean Batten's Gull Six. I know that I would have to convert or scratch build but the markings are little confusing. I know that it got Brazilian, Argentinian and Uruguayan markings on the rudder during her South American flight.
The markings do change during the years.
I've seen a Union Jack at the top followed by the Brazil, Uruguay and with the Argentine at the bottom.
Later the Union Jack seems to have been substituted with the New Zealand flag with the other three left in the same positions.
On pictures of the plane loaded on a ship there is only three markings on the rudder.
At the top instead of the Union Jack is the Argentinian flag below it is the Brazilian followed by the Uruguayan roundel. 
Nothing is painted at the bottom, I guess that this is the original markings when the plane left South America?

What model would be the best starting point for a 1/72 scale conversion?

For the markings I guess it will depend on what point in its history you want to represent. There is a colour photo in the Air Britain book "On the Wings of a Gull" as it was in 1995 with the flags of New Zealand followed by Brazil, Uruguay and the Argentine at the bottom.

As far as I can see the only kits to use for a starting point are the Dora Wings Vega Gull in 1/72 or 1/48. There are 1/72 drawing in the book which claim to have been redrawn to be more accurate than any predecessors. You will need a substantially different fuselage and canopy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rossm said:

For the markings I guess it will depend on what point in its history you want to represent.

I'd go long with this advice . You have several photos with various markings .. Not sure what your point is  , you know what was there . Just pick one and get on with the one you want to do out of your collection . 

4 hours ago, Orso said:

I have been thinking of building Jean Batten's Gull Six. 

What model would be the best starting point for a 1/72 scale conversion?

Dujin produced a 1/72 resin Gull Four that appears to be fairly decent, much better than most of their stuff.

This kit may be your best starting point.

Tim

1 hour ago, VH-USB said:

Dujin produced a 1/72 resin Gull Four that appears to be fairly decent, much better than most of their stuff.

This kit may be your best starting point.

Tim

I didn't know of that kit, I just looked at what is readily available in the UK. There is considerable difference between a Gull Four and Gull Six, The Gull Four fuselage is closer than that of the Vega Gull but it was completely redesigned for the latter. The detail parts like undercarriage in a Vega Gull are probably closer to the Gull Six than those of the Gull Four. But the Vega Gull wing span must be reduced in the centre section. So check out both possibilities and decide which you are most comfortable with would be my advice.

Another, possibly lower cost option is a Novo (Frog) Proctor requiring similar minor wing and major fuselage mods to the Vega Gull.

Here's a couple of new pics of my Percival Gull Six guys...

It seems to look the part :). I reduced the span of the center section, narrowed the fuselage and glazing, reduced the span of the hz tail and added bracing struts to the main wheel spats. I also re-arranged the interior, however much of that is taken up by the cockpit fuel tank (scratch-built). The rest is basically unchanged from the Dora Wings Vega Gull kit.

51237898288_9795821f80_h.jpgIMG_4905 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

51238466719_a6c5195aef_h.jpgIMG_4898 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

51238466709_d50b6ea23e_h.jpgIMG_4896 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

Edited by follasha
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have the Omega 1/72 Gull Six in resin but I've no idea how it compares with drawings. It looks nice, just kind of soft. The decals for G-ADPR are awful, though. I really need to get back to it...