F6 F-3 Hellcat Interior Colours

fishplanebeer

I'm just about to start my Eduard 72nd scale F-3 Hellcat but not sure about the correct interior colours as the builds in the MDF Hellcat guide vary in this respect.

The cockpit I'm assuming is Interior Green (or a variation on this theme) but not sure about the interior of the cowling and the fuselage behind the cockpit, and I'm also assuming that the wheel wells and interior for the tail wheel would be the under surface colour which in this case will be insignia white. I have a new tin of Colourcoats Chromate Yellow which I'm keen to use but obviously not if this would be the wrong colour for any part of this particular aircraft which will be finished in the standard 4 colour scheme.

The guide on the Sovereign web site calls for light grey for the interior apart from the cockpit so I plan to go with this unless this would be wide of the mark.

Regards

Colin.

Your plan is essentially on track regarding colors. Interior green for cockpit, gear and bays underside color, cowl insides light-medium gray that actually will have very little visible. It really is a well fitting kit, neither the wing nor tailplane joins needed any filler on the one I built.

IIUC, the earliest F6F-3's cockpits were Bronze Green per the previous Grumman practice. Not too long into production, Grumman switched to Interior Green and continued that in the -5s. I believe (or convinced myself) the darker Bronze Green v. the lighter Interior Green is apparent in Pilot Manual cockpit photos.

As noted above, other areas were a gray that I've read identified as Grumman Gray.

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

I'm just about to start my Eduard 72nd scale F-3 Hellcat but not sure about the correct interior colours as the builds in the MDF Hellcat guide vary in this respect.

The cockpit I'm assuming is Interior Green (or a variation on this theme) but not sure about the interior of the cowling and the fuselage behind the cockpit, and I'm also assuming that the wheel wells and interior for the tail wheel would be the under surface colour which in this case will be insignia white. I have a new tin of Colourcoats Chromate Yellow which I'm keen to use but obviously not if this would be the wrong colour for any part of this particular aircraft which will be finished in the standard 4 colour scheme.

The guide on the Sovereign web site calls for light grey for the interior apart from the cockpit so I plan to go with this unless this would be wide of the mark.

Regards

Colin.

Did you see this post from Jamie?

Jamie's guide is the one he's published on the Sovereign web site as well so I'm now very happy to go with this. Wasn't at all sure about the correct colour for the fuselage behind the rear windows but now sorted as well.

Sounds like the build will be good, a complete contrast to the Italeri Dornier Do217E I'm building at present which is a bit of a 'devil' with poor fit and alignment issues everywhere.

Many thanks.

Regards

Colin.