1:48 RAAF Airspeed Oxford Mk.I

Hi All,

This is my attempt at Special Hobby's Airspeed Oxford "Commonwealth Service" boxing. I've chosen to model LW926 of No.1 SFTS, Point Cook, VIC in 1943. Here's a photo of the aircraft (at the rear of the formation):

unnamed-1.jpg

According to the Australian War Memorial website, this photo was taken during a flypast for a wings ceremony. The model was pretty much OOB, and painted with Tamiya Yellow, and Lifecolors Earth Brown and Foliage Green. The kit was typical SH fare - vague engineering and fits, but overall I don't think it turned out too badly. On to the photos:

20210606-154022.jpg

20210606-154046.jpg

20210606-154051.jpg

20210606-154115.jpg

20210606-154127.jpg

20210606-154145.jpg

I've also taken a shot with a Beaufighter for a couple of reasons. Firstly to show the difference between a training aircraft and a war-fighting brute, and secondly the pilot of this Beau, Mervyn Shiphard was an Australian, and could quite conceivably been trained in an aircraft such as this:

20210606-154229.jpg

Finally I couldn't resist a bit of Earth Brown & Foliage Green action, so here's one with a Boomerang:

20210606-154417.jpg

I didn't notice that the Boomerang's antenna wire had pinged loose - never mind! I'm glad to have this aircraft in my collection- although it was a trainer it saw widespread service and I'm guessing most multi-engine pilots would have flown these during training and was therefore an important contributor to the war effort.

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

A wonderful model Roger, congratulations fella you have done a fab job on this. I love the Oxbox, such a lovely looking machine and I think you have captured it well with your finish and weathering.  The photos with the Beau and Boomerang are great as it is good to see those lovely models again too.

Looking forward to the next one.

Chris

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

A wonderful model Roger, congratulations fella you have done a fab job on this. I love the Oxbox, such a lovely looking machine and I think you have captured it well with your finish and weathering.  The photos with the Beau and Boomerang are great as it is good to see those lovely models again too.

Looking forward to the next one.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It is a fine looking machine - so clean-lined for the period. Glad to have it finished, but I think it might be a frying pan: fire situation with the Fulmar hoving into view again!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Chris,

It is a fine looking machine - so clean-lined for the period. Glad to have it finished, but I think it might be a frying pan: fire situation with the Fulmar hoving into view again!

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger

It is a lovely looking aircraft.

You could always do a little but on the Fulmar as a bit of a side project as a distraction from a main build, that way you only do a small bit at a time and the old Mojo doesn't suffer too much. Looking forward to what ever you decide to do.

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger

It is a lovely looking aircraft.

You could always do a little but on the Fulmar as a bit of a side project as a distraction from a main build, that way you only do a small bit at a time and the old Mojo doesn't suffer too much. Looking forward to what ever you decide to do.

Chris

Hmmm,

I DO have a 1:32 Tamiya Spit Mk IXc which has been calling me for ages, but I wanted to see how well @shortCummins's turned out first! Maybe I'll just take the plunge...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hmmm,

I DO have a 1:32 Tamiya Spit Mk IXc which has been calling me for ages, but I wanted to see how well @shortCummins's turned out first! Maybe I'll just take the plunge...

Cheers,

Roger

It's a cracking looking kit, I have one in the stash too, which I have yearned to build, but must finish my current builds as no room for one of them at the mo, would love to see you do one of those.

Chris

I agree with others - it is a lovely looking aircraft. And a beautifully made model too, I like the comparison with the Beau,

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Viking said:

I agree with others - it is a lovely looking aircraft. And a beautifully made model too, I like the comparison with the Beau,

Cheers

John

Thanks for the kind words John - much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Hmmm,

Cheers,

Roger

Roger

unfortunately mine is on the shelf until after the Hellcat group build.

The reason it went on the self is because I was waiting for some HGW belts, nothing to do with the kit which is fantastic and I'm sure you'd enjoy building it. However I would recommend getting either the Yahu IP or Barracuda? IP decals (included in a cockpit detail set) as the Tamiya IP decals has a "blue" artificial horizon that just looks wrong.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

Roger

unfortunately mine is on the shelf until after the Hellcat group build.

The reason it went on the self is because I was waiting for some HGW belts, nothing to do with the kit which is fantastic and I'm sure you'd enjoy building it. However I would recommend getting either the Yahu IP or Barracuda? IP decals (included in a cockpit detail set) as the Tamiya IP decals has a "blue" artificial horizon that just looks wrong.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks John,

I have the HGW belts but may well take your advice on the IP! Appreciate the tip,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Lovely model - well done!

Thanks for the kind words AJ - much appreciated!

4 hours ago, russ c said:

Superb Oxford there Roger, great result on a tricky kit

Thanks Russ - it surely isn't shake 'n bake!

1 hour ago, pacificmustang said:

Lovely work Roger, on a kit we don’t often see built 

Bruce 

Cheers Bruce - I couldn't resist an Aussie scheme!

39 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Very nice model :goodjob:  

Thanks for the kind words Mike - much appreciated!

Hello, Roger -

To call this an 'attempt' is wrong - your model Airspeed Oxford is excellent and very nicely painted - great work.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Hello, Roger -

To call this an 'attempt' is wrong - your model Airspeed Oxford is excellent and very nicely painted - great work.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave - you are very kind!

Superb Roger,..... one of my favourite Oxford schemes and you`ve done it to perfection mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Superb Roger,..... one of my favourite Oxford schemes and you`ve done it to perfection mate,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks very much Tony - it certainly is an attractive scheme!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

I really love the job you have done on the Airspeed and appreciate seeing next to the other aircraft to get a feel for the scale.  Also I like the finish, which is pretty clean with only a little weathering.  My thinking exactly for a military training aircraft as they would have the students keep them in excellent shape.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

I really love the job you have done on the Airspeed and appreciate seeing next to the other aircraft to get a feel for the scale.  Also I like the finish, which is pretty clean with only a little weathering.  My thinking exactly for a military training aircraft as they would have the students keep them 

20 minutes ago, woody37 said:

That's come out a gem, lovely finish :)

Thanks very much for the kind words gents - much appreciated!