Delta Airlines Lockheed L-1011 Tristar in 1/144 scale

This is my Delta Lockheed Tristar L-1011 in 1/144 scale. I have always liked the elegant Tristar in Delta's old livery. Actually, I prefer the elegant contours of this dolphin nosed three holer to its more rugged competitor, the McDonnell Douglas DC-10. 

I made the model from an Authentic airliners kit and the decals are from 26Decals. The kit is solid resin so it weighs quite a lot. Just in case the beast should kneel down, the main landing gears are of made of white metal

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 46

The Tristar was a great looking airplane and it had a very unique startup sound. Your model is definitely excellent.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Magnificent model Einar, thanks for sharing.  The Delta "widget" livery really suits the Tristar.

Thank you!

Cheers

Einar

6 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Awesome

Thanks

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

The Tristar was a great looking airplane and it had a very unique startup sound. Your model is definitely excellent.

Thank you

Cheers 

Einar

10 hours ago, Einar said:

Actually, I prefer the elegant contours of this dolphin nosed three holer to its more rugged competitor, the McDonnell Douglas DC-10. 

Just like me.

10 hours ago, Einar said:

I made the model from an Authentic airliners kit and the decals are from 26Decals

Can't go wrong with that combination.

Yet again, you have produced a beautiful aircraft. Kudos.

• Thanks 1

The most elegant airliner and, aside from the 747, my favourite one in a classic livery.

Full marks on this wonderful build,really beautiful.

Alex

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Just like me.

Can't go wrong with that combination.

Yet again, you have produced a beautiful aircraft. Kudos.

Thank you!

Cheers

Einar

Wow, Einar….the L-1011 is stunning! Like you, I’m a huge fan of the old Delta widget livery, but most especially as the L-1011 wears It. You’ve picked three of the most excellent ideas in airliner model building…an Authentic Airliner kit, use of 26Decals, and the old Delta widget livery!

On a personal note; one of my most admired mentors in aviation retired from Delta after 33 years there. He flew nearly all of Delta’s airplanes from 1965 until he retired in 1998. The last airplane he flew was the L-1011…he enjoyed that airplane more than any other he had ever flown, even after having served as program manager at Delta for the L-1011 program.  It was a wonderful way to end a distinguished career. 

Well done, sir! Thank you for sharing a beautiful old bird dressed most excellently! :goodjob:

Edited by Challenger350Pilot
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Wow, Einar….the L-1011 is stunning! Like you, I’m a huge fan of the old Delta widget livery, but most especially as the L-1011 wears It. You’ve picked three of the most excellent ideas in airliner model building…an Authentic Airliner kit, use of 26Decals, and the old Delta widget livery! Well done, sir! Thank you for sharing a beautiful old bird dressed most excellently! :goodjob:

Thank you very much Challenger350Pilot

Cheers

Einar

When I used to travel for business, the Delta L-1011 was my favorite aircraft.

On one trip, my boss and I were booked onto an L-1011 coming back from Jacksonville Florida to Atlanta Georgia.  We boarded the aircraft and no sooner had we gotten settled in our seats, they announced that they'd overbooked the flight and were looking for volunteers to give up their seats.  In return, Delta was offering $200 and, to ease our wait for the next flight, they'd take us to the Delta Crown room there in Jax and ply us with liquor.  My boss and I discussed it and while he needed to get home quickly, I wasn't in any hurry.  So, he stayed onboard and I took Delta up on their offer.  True to their word, they gave us a $200 cash voucher and then led all of us to the Crown Room where we could relax and have a few drinks while waiting for the next flight.  I guess we were there maybe two or three hours.  In any case, the next flight was called (another L-1011) and we were led down to the gate where we discovered that they were also providing us first class seats on this aircraft.  We boarded, got settled in, pushed back, and started our taxi out to takeoff.  While we were taxiing,  we could see another L-1011 taxiing back in to the terminal.  About that time our pilot came on the intercom and told us that the L-1011 taxiing back in was the same aircraft we had originally been on.  Seems they had equipment problems when they got out to the runway and had been sitting on a taxiway for the past two or three hours trying to get it fixed.  Unsuccessfully.  So, they were coming back in and going to have to put everybody on a different aircraft.  But they were having to fly an aircraft in from Atlanta first so those people were still going to have to wait longer.

Best decision I ever made.  And no, I never let my boss forget it!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, uncletommy said:

When I used to travel for business, the Delta L-1011 was my favorite aircraft.

On one trip, my boss and I were booked onto an L-1011 coming back from Jacksonville Florida to Atlanta Georgia.  We boarded the aircraft and no sooner had we gotten settled in our seats, they announced that they'd overbooked the flight and were looking for volunteers to give up their seats.  In return, Delta was offering $200 and, to ease our wait for the next flight, they'd take us to the Delta Crown room there in Jax and ply us with liquor.  My boss and I discussed it and while he needed to get home quickly, I wasn't in any hurry.  So, he stayed onboard and I took Delta up on their offer.  True to their word, they gave us a $200 cash voucher and then led all of us to the Crown Room where we could relax and have a few drinks while waiting for the next flight.  I guess we were there maybe two or three hours.  In any case, the next flight was called (another L-1011) and we were led down to the gate where we discovered that they were also providing us first class seats on this aircraft.  We boarded, got settled in, pushed back, and started our taxi out to takeoff.  While we were taxiing,  we could see another L-1011 taxiing back in to the terminal.  About that time our pilot came on the intercom and told us that the L-1011 taxiing back in was the same aircraft we had originally been on.  Seems they had equipment problems when they got out to the runway and had been sitting on a taxiway for the past two or three hours trying to get it fixed.  Unsuccessfully.  So, they were coming back in and going to have to put everybody on a different aircraft.  But they were having to fly an aircraft in from Atlanta first so those people were still going to have to wait longer.

Best decision I ever made.  And no, I never let my boss forget it!  🤣

Thanks Uncletommy for the hilarious story. You really made the right choice! 🙂

Cheers

Einar

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful model!  Like others have said, it's a flawless combination with the additional feature of skill and artistry on your part!

Thank you very much!

Cheers

Einar

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Not a real fan of jet airliners, but that is one awesome model- beautiful in every way!

Mike

Thank you very much Mike!

Cheers 

Einar

9 hours ago, Milczacy said:

Fantastic job 👏

Thank you!