Roden 1/48 Brisfit in Irish Aer Corp colours.

resized_af21c661-da33-4ffe-8f0a-63a9440eThis is the kit, it’ll be oob as much as possible.

resized_95e8c960-fe0c-4305-a71d-ddefe9b9Sprues. There’s a nice decal sheet but that’s gone straight to the decal box as I won’t be using it.

6c7111f7-f4a0-4be3-b033-7350d2fab432.jpeThis is the scheme. Although I think it should be khaki not PC10.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 9

Excellent stuff Marklo. I'll check out your progress with interest as I've got a Roden Bristol, although it's the standard engine version. Other than that I expect it's a similar beast with many struts and strings attached. 

👍

• Thanks 1

Now the observant among you will notice this is the Arab engined boxing and afaik the Aer Corp plane was Rolls Royce powered, however Im pretty sure the Rolls Royce bits are in the kit ( seeing as how there’s nearly a second airplane in most Roden kits to cover all options) or else the spares box will be called upon, and as luck would have it the Arab bits can be used up on the Scout F.

resized_833305fe-1af2-47af-b281-3f74c505This is my main reference btw, there’s a photo of the Aer Corp machine towards the back must take another look at it before work commences.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

I cant quite put my finger on it, however the IAC (as well as the Royal Rhodesian AF) have always taken my interest even though I have no connection whatsoever with either country. The Brisfit is such a classic WW1 aircraft and it’s good to see quite a few different Bristols being built here. May it long continue as the GB progresses. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

resized_3d881882-370d-4327-9b6e-0153ddbbThis is that photo, notice anything? Yes it’s clearly not Khaki or PC10 either silver or pale grey and the nose most likely orange or red, hmmm.

Oh and definitely RR powered, and yes the kit has both sets of parts.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Looking forward to this..... glad to hear that the kit include the RR engine cowling too

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

resized_68c8b0e6-a1c0-41bc-ba64-aa601ef3
Made a start in the office. As it’s going to be silver I’ve painted the interior brick red then dry brushed with pink. I’m not entirely sure what colour the frames should be.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marklo said:

resized_68c8b0e6-a1c0-41bc-ba64-aa601ef3
Made a start in the office. As it’s going to be silver I’ve painted the interior brick red then dry brushed with pink. I’m not entirely sure what colour the frames should be.

The frames would probably have been natural varnished timber, have a look at images of the example at RAFM Hendon.  The fabric should probably be more of a natural linen colour with a hint of red oxide showing through.

Edited by stever219
Fat fingers

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

The fabric should probably be more of a natural linen colour with a hint of red oxide showing through.

I might stipple on some deck tan to tone down the oxide a bit,

• 1 month later...

Not forgotten. I’m still hoping to scrape this one in before the end of the GB.

resized_54aed3b9-ec05-4052-9444-6be44fa3
As I’m using the Rolls Royce which came with the kit but have no engine, a part was found from the spares box. I think it’s from a 1/72me 109 but it works and under a coat of metallic grey the little that you can actually see looks fine. 

resized_4f361408-14f6-4141-bcbc-25ae8667Fuselage zipped up.

• Like 4

resized_65cb783c-d5de-47c4-96dd-4af8a3edFilling done. Starting painting. My plan is to paint the national markings and the nose ( as you can see I’ve gone red for red as this was the nose colour used in the Aercorps Dh9) first then mask them off and paint the whole lot with a rattle can. 

Now I have one minor dilemma. Afaik the F.2b was purchased from the UK post WWI, at which point factory finish would have been aluminium dope. However the DH9 is recorded as pale grey so silver or pale grey.

To me logic says it would have been delivered in factory finish then had the nose colour and markings added locally which makes me think aluminium, the one caveat being that it could just as easily been painted grey in the factory, also the grey would be a little bit unusual for a post war F.2b.

Just to muddy the waters further WNW have the machine in CDL with a bare metal cowl, which just doesn’t look right to me.

looking at the photo it doesn’t look shiny so I’m leaning towards grey.

resized_3d881882-370d-4327-9b6e-0153ddbb

Hmmmm any suggestions??

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

After a little bit of research the Aer Corp Brisfits cosmetics in two batches the first in 1922 appear to be extremely RAF machines, while the second batch in 1925 were new. Hence the two schemes  Khaki( PC10 ?) and Silver(grey?)

resized_23049176-ad7a-48ba-b9cd-f5365aebNow this photo shows a DH60 moth with two F.2bs in the background. The moth is documented as being silver finish and to me looks exactly the same as the two Brisfits. So I think I’ll go with silver.

However the text of the article says the nose was grey. Hmm not sure on that one, I’m still thinking of sticking with red.

• Like 2

resized_61ffb89b-ab20-4ad1-8d28-90118e12I’ve started on the rigging. Blind holes on the underside of the upper wing and through holes on the lower wing except for the cabane strut rigging which  I’ve had to lead through the upper wing. Of course to add to the fun the upper to lower outer to inner ( if that makes sense) lines are doubled so we have a grand total of forty lines to run not including the control lines.

Whats more perturbing is that I’m sitting here thinking it’s all pretty straightforward :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

resized_793a5467-cf85-422d-8522-cbc8eddfAfter much fiddling the Brisfit is now a parasol. I’ve replaced the kit upper cabane struts with brass rod and fitted them slightly differently to the kit parts.

resized_411f8df1-ae42-49ab-93e9-69c35956

Now a biplane the lower wing struts are mostly the kit parts with only one pair being replaced by brass rod. All of the attachment holes were drilled out before assembly. I’m now adding in the interplane  struts a pair at a time. It will all be quite light but strong once I get a few rigging lines secured.

That’s the worst of it over and done, but I may get add I can’t see how the wings could be attached without modifying the kit and if possible the end result would have been terribly delicate. 

Well on track for Sunday. :) 

• Like 6

• 10 months later...

Well it didn’t make Sunday, but it’s now back on the bench and on a charge.

079-A32-D8-9-DCA-4-B2-B-8379-F4-CA4-ABD1

New exhausts needed the simplest way to make the manifold is to solder brass wire together. Several hours, burnt fingers and yes some sweating  later. Not too bad, a bit of fettling and some paint and they’ll be fine.

33AB7094-5ABF-468B-A616-85E4D1E235F4.jpg

Current state of play. Everything  except the exhausts, prop control lines and serial number added. Should get it done tomorrow. Then I may start the Air Corp SE5a.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Great job on this Mark, looks good and you certainly made assembly look easy! 

If you do Railway modelling and build your own locos your fingertips get used to the heat from the soldering iron !!! Great work on those exhausts too.

Chris

• Thanks 1