Beaufighter IF Revell 1/48

This is my official thread now. I will be doing the Revell 1/48 Beaufighter IF.  If all goes to plan the kit should arrive on the 14th. If it is delayed I can start it with the TF-X kit I have as it is the same kit with different tail surfaces. 

The IF Beaufighter was an early nightfigher operating in 1941. I read a book about one of Britain's top nightfigher aces when I was a young fellow and the image of the Beaufighter nightfigher it gave me has always stuck with me. It is because of this book I  have had an interest in building the German bombers of the time. Particularly the Do 217E which is in my cabinet. There were several descriptions of them being shot down by the Beaufighter. 

The kit 

Beaufighter IF image2

• Like 4

This should be good Greg, we'll follow on with interest and see how you go recreating those childhood night fighting story books. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

If all goes well I will do a 1/48 Revell Beaufighter TF.X with the elongated nose and fin. 

I will be doing the same one as Brett Greens that is in this link.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2018/galleries/beaufightertfxrevell48bg_1.htm

Beaufighter TF-X

This is a RNZAF plane based in Scotland in March 1945. 

This will give me the earliest and latest War time Beaufighters

Decals are ordered and I have the kit. I just have to scratch build the camera housing behind the cockpit.  

• Like 2

Good news today. My IF kit arrived this morning. 🙂 

I won't do a part show on it as it is basically the same as the other kit. 

The only visible difference is it is in grey plastic and the tail horizontal surfaces are flat.

I ordered Eduard masks and seat belts for both kits a instrument panel for the IF.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

I noticed Brett Green painted his Beaufighter cockpit black/grey. Was this done in Beaufighters?

Without suggesting that this is wrong, personally I’d be sticking with Grey Green for RAF Beaufighters Greg. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2021 at 11:35 AM, Greg Law said:

I read a book about one of Britain's top nightfigher aces when I was a young fellow and the image of the Beaufighter nightfigher it gave me has always stuck with me. It is because of this book I  have had an interest in building the German bombers of the time. Particularly the Do 217E which is in my cabinet. There were several descriptions of them being shot down by the Beaufighter. 

That would not have been Jimmy Rawnsley's book on his time with John Cunningham - possibly called "Nightfighter" by any chance?

Pete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

That would not have been Jimmy Rawnsley's book on his time with John Cunningham - possibly called "Nightfighter" by any chance?

Pete

That's the one Pete. I couldn't remember the pilots name.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2021 at 19:25, rob85 said:

Nice choice Greg, I love an all black beaufighter!

Rob

Rob

I noticed in the rules for this GB there is no 25% rule. Was that over looked or is this a more open GB?

The reason l ask is I have a frog Beaufort that is 60% done that I  could add here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Rob

I noticed in the rules for this GB there is no 25% rule. Was that over looked or is this a more open GB?

The reason l ask is I have a frog Beaufort that is 60% done that I  could add here.

That was overlooked sorry, I will add it. However feel free to build the beaufighter along side this without adding to the Gallery? 

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Greg Law said:

Well I'm sure I'm  going to be the first off and running by using the time difference. I'm into black basing the interior parts right now. 🙂

Perhaps, however we are not that far behind either Greg. Actually, I’ve got a full morning planned already so there’s no modelling time to be had for me just at the moment. I’ll try to make a start later this arvo. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Just a little bit of progress. This is the interior of the TF-X

I haven't bothered to panel line interior or sort out the joint on the tanks because you never see it. 

The black base adds to the feel anyway. 

I'm using the decals for the instruments on the rEVELL KITS.

the Tamiya one will have a new type Eduard panel. 

These photos show me some instruments on the wall I missed. 

I will deal with that in the morning.

By the way, the side is loosely dry fitted.

Beaufighter TF-X image3

Beaufighter TF-X image2

• Like 5

Fuselage closed up. Of cause even after checking the manual I  missed the heat pipe. I will have to cut the part and put in the cockpit section only. You don't see the rest of it anyway.

Now to get started on the next interior tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Second Revell kit cockpit black based. I should be able to do the Green this afternoon. However, my seat belts haven't arrived.  I suspect the might be caught in the Melbourne lockdown. 

2 wings together and the third will be done in the morning.  The Revell kit is far more complicated than the Tamiya.  The Tamiya was a breeze to do. The Revell used a lot of separate parts for the wings and geat boxes. I will add an image once they are all done.

This is my progress so far. I'm held up doing the IF and the Aussie fuselage because my seat belts are in the slow post. However They may arrive today.

Of interest is the shape of the wings between the Tamiya and Revell kits. The Tamiya wings have a much broader wingtip. I think the Revell kit 

is a much better shape in general. However it is a far more complicated kit.

Beaufighter TF-X image4

• Like 2

Nice production line happening there Greg and I agree the Tamiya kit is almost a quick build in comparison to some modern day kits. The wing shape differences are interesting, so you'll need to send through a top view shot to highlight what you've found. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 21/06/2021 at 14:36, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice production line happening there Greg and I agree the Tamiya kit is almost a quick build in comparison to some modern day kits. The wing shape differences are interesting, so you'll need to send through a top view shot to highlight what you've found. 

Cheers.. Dave 

After measuring the last panel line by the tip it is clear the wing tips are the same size. It was just an illusion created by the Revell one not having the ailerons attached.

I have attached the wings on to the TF-X and put the Tamiya fuselage together.

• Like 1