M18 Hellcat - AFV Club - 1/35

From time to time I keep looking at your tank, I constantly manage to find some new detail. I really liked the metal beams construction in front of the tank. Perfect painted unpainted metal looks very convincing.

How did you paint that?

Vytautas

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 11:36 PM, Autle said:

This is simply a stunning model Nenad. You really have mastered how to make Olive drab look perfect at this scale. The stowage is also brilliantly portrayed not to mention the hedge cutter. Compared to the photo I'd say you've nailed it. Well done, can't wait to see what comes next.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:50 AM, f matthews said:

Spectacular!  One of the nicest executions of this vehicle I’ve ever seen!

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

13 hours ago, vytautas said:

From time to time I keep looking at your tank, I constantly manage to find some new detail. I really liked the metal beams construction in front of the tank. Perfect painted unpainted metal looks very convincing.

How did you paint that?

Vytautas

Hi Vytautas,

It was actually an experiment that turned out not to be a disaster :)

The key is this:

IMG_20210616_110827

Once sprayed, it will be very dark, almost black, and flat. If you rub it, it will get some metallic shine. If you scratch it, scratches will be very shiny, like real metal scratches.

But I didn't liked flat black look, because I thought it is a bit unrealistic, so I mist it sparingly with a mix of Tamiya flat brown and dark iron (75% 25%). I didn't know how it will react with Gunze Mr.Metalcolor, but it turned out that it didn't kill it's magic properties.

Than, I rubbed it and added some scratches like branches would do.

And at the end I added some pigments, combination of truck rust (just on some places and very little), Russian earth and Europe earth.

I'll try this method with a tracks next time I do plastic ones. I think that it will work for this as well.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Thanks 1