Bristol Scout F & F1 1/48 Scratch built - not the scouts you’re used to

So my first contribution to the GB will be the Scout F a development for the Scout but I’ve chosen it firstly because I like it’s looks and secondly because it looks much more like an interwar fighter than a WWI plane.

resized_2dbea88a-5f07-4bd1-a8f6-28ee5871

4429fa1e-3e45-4147-8dd4-3b4561c0df74.jpeFirst job is to scale these to 1/48.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 11

On 6/6/2021 at 7:04 PM, rob85 said:

your going for a scratch build in a GB

Thank you, I love scratch builds and I find early types are ( mostly) not a lot more demanding than a difficult kit. I did 4 for the interceptor GB and I’m in the final throes of finished my off two for the anything but injection GB.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Started on the scaling wingspan will be 188mm (7.4 inches) so a nice size now I’ve been going through the WWI fighter book and I’m torn between the Arab engined F and the Mercury engined F1 and I’m toying with the idea of building both, hmm.

This is going to be something to watch! I thought I was quite knowledgeable about Bristols aeroplanes, however this one is definitely new to me. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

75a577c0-40a9-4aab-888c-7e111b893b4a.jpeFirst bloods been drawn, er I mean first plastics been cut, two (soon to be) identical vertical tail plane blanks.

resized_8779b810-23f0-4d24-93ef-9424efebAnd using my trusty jigsaw ( alas I don’t own a bandsaw) a fuselage buck cut from plans. As the fuselage has compound shapes I’ll use this as both a cutting guide and an assembly jig for both planes as aft of the firewall they were identical.

• Like 2

• Marklo changed the title to Bristol Scout F & F1 1/48 Scratch built - not the scouts you’re used to

resized_9f5253b0-4ed6-4fd9-8622-b0e8f447Wing and horizontal  blanks cut. I just need to cut out the middle bits and trim the upper wing chord length by about 2mm. As there is no diehedral on either wing I’m doing them both as a single piece. I’ll probably cut a notch out of the fuselage for the lower wing and set it into the fuselage.

Lots of sanding and shaping to do  before skinning the blanks.

I’ve never scratched two near identical builds together before ( the closest I’ve come was the two kittens for the recent interceptor GB) and it’s proving ( so far) to be only a little bit more work than a single build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

you done this before?
Cheers.. Dave

While I’ve done quite a few scratch builds in the last few years I haven’t done two the same.

resized_c56d2200-f2bb-4a82-b551-3d4338a1

4ca1d015-715c-4ac4-bfe4-3ef98569e066.jpeThis would be the closest I’ve come where I built a PV7 and a PV8 side by side.

resized_23ef337b-42c1-4f5f-8172-b369953cThis is probably my oddest to date a Supermarine PB31 Nighthawk.

df604eee-5623-4d78-aeca-c43e1d2e861c.jpeBut I am currently finishing this off over in the anything but injection GB, an Oertz W6 flying boat, and I think that will take the lead as the oddest thing I’ve built once it’s done :) 

• Like 2

All amazing work and what I’d call modelling in its truest form. Makes my OOB builds look quite easy and silly in comparison. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Makes my OOB builds look quite easy and silly in comparison. 

It’s not about the level of modelling it’s wether you’re enjoying it. Eg  the likes of airscale makes my modelling look feeble, but I’m enjoying it :) 

• Like 3

resized_7840822f-aa52-4b2c-a362-6e87ef2fcut the fuselage floors and fitted the lower wing blanks. You may notice they’re marked as each is fitted to a fuselage, as they’re close but probably not identical. Next off I’ll sand these to airfoil section and skin them. Ditto for the upper wings.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Double sided sticky tape ( from Dealz) and ca or Tamiya thin ( you get a sharper trailing edge with Tamiya or contacta  but i find it doesn’t always stick properly)  for the trailing edges and tips.

It’s my variation of the Harry Woods method.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

resized_b4d0f128-e78f-458b-9b6b-3d987ac0As I had the airbrush out and quite a bit of sky blue left in the cup after spraying my Flanker, I decided to give the scouts a coat of paint to see what filler etc they needed. The join to the turtle deck and the wing tips need a bit of work but not too bad all over.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

resized_dadfd653-205c-43bd-8287-7d9713f6

As they currently are. Upper decking shaped and cut. Noses next.

resized_0966dd76-eeda-4c53-87a4-0855f9d2
Ready to mold some noses. I’m still hoping to get both of these done by the end of the GB. For some reason I always drag my heels on interiors, but once I get them done the rest of the build should be very straight forward.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1