21 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

they have after all produced a Mk.II, if I'm not dreaming.  (Somebody called it a more attractive aircraft - glad I'm not on what he's on.)

I know that Airfix have advertised a Wellington Mk II but I have not heard anything of a Beaufighter Mk II - I hope they do as I had to build one using the Airfix Mag conversion from the 1960's when I converted my Lanc to a Manchester and had a couple of spare Merlins.

Pete

• Like 1

The underwings bombs would not be carried with a torpedo. Some later Coastal Command Beaus had the wing guns removed and replaced with fuel tanks, for increased range. As for the drop tank, Graham may be right and it was a very later war or post-war item.

As for the longer carb intakes above the engines, these were dust filters for flying from dry locations and were not fitted to all Beaus.

As for the nose camera, this was a strike camera and was more a Coastal Command item.

Dennis, in that photo you posted, I noticed that the navigator's gun isn't fitted in the usual gun canopy. This aircraft has had the bubble type canopy rear portion cut off and a gun fitted in the open area.

This is the best image I could find right now. We are doing renos on our basement rec-room and bathroom, so as much stuff as possible has been moved out and stored in my hobby room. I can barely get in but I cant get the chair pulled out far enough to sit at the table.

51252309275_73c4c9b048_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think I can steal a set from an Eduard spitfire? I don't think Beaufighters would have carried anything super heavy out under the wings would they ? You think the two bombs and a Torpedo or just the bombs ? Did Beaufighters carry drop tanks ever ? Or were they strictly internal fuel ? My apologies as I know very little other than the basics of Beaufighters. While we’re at it the strike camera in the nose the little square molded on the front, would that be there on a Mk.VI or would that have been mounted some where else. Airfix were nice enough to mold the earlier intakes for the engines on the sprue’s. Oddly enough though they've never issued an earlier Beaufighter kit that would’ve used them. I’m thinking they might be a holdover from the Blenheim. If Airfix re-used that sprue for this kit ? They're parts C5 & C6 and there is a set of two. 

They must be going to do earlier Mk's as none of the boxings up to now use the early type tear-drop shaped rear cockpit cover.

I wish I had caught this earlier as I could send you a Sperry dome from one of the MPM Hasegawa boxings I have, got a few cheap off the 'Bay a while back. If you still want one (or two) I could send you them.

Davey. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that Coastal Command asked for a version with longer range and it was decided to fit extra fuel tanks in the wing gun bays but as the Mk Ic was rushed into service it was instead fitted with a 50 gallon tank in the fuselage between the cannon breeches which I think was similar to one used in Wellingtons, possibly in the bomb bay. This meant that the Ic retained the wing guns, though they may have been removed if carrying bombs to save weight. The VIc had the tanks in the wings so no mg, but again some sources say that they were "optional" though I would imagine taking out the tanks and fitting the guns and feeds would have been somewhat tedious and not done very often (if at all). Having said that the Warpaint book on the Beau clearly shows the wing gun cartridge chutes and holes in the leading edge where the barrels were, so it seems that it would have been possible. I am also inclined to think it was a case of torpedo/or rockets/or bombs rather than a combination, though the Warpaint book does show a profile of a TFX with torpedo and rockets! My impression is the strike wings used to send the rocket carriers in first to shoot up the flak ships etc and that the torpedo planes went in next, Finally Warpaint have a pic of a Beau with a 200 gallon centreline drop tank in use in Malaya in 1949 so it was probably a post war thing.

Incidentally I may well be wrong but I thought the bulge for the Sperry autopilot was only on the RAAF Mk 21, although the autopilot was not actually fitted!

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

They must be going to do earlier Mk's as none of the boxings up to now use the early type tear-drop shaped rear cockpit cover.

I wish I had caught this earlier as I could send you a Sperry dome from one of the MPM Hasegawa boxings I have, got a few cheap off the 'Bay a while back. If you still want one (or two) I could send you them.

Davey. 

Hello Davey I appreciate the offer but its not needed now. If I may think about it I will P/M you and let you know. 

Ok so I ran into the major problem with this kit …. The Engines/Cowlings ! What a 💩 Design. No matter what I did I still have gaps, and they don't even fit on the pegs at the wing connection. So Ive shaved those off completely and will add the engine/cowling assemblies once they're sanded and filled. Not 100% accurate but definitely will look better. I had to guess on the three point engine braces as the instructions aren't clear. More when these are acceptable. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it’s now safe to say that radial engine / cowling design is not one of modern day Airfix’s strong suits. Sure beats the one part all incumbent solid design of yesteryear, however what looks simple enough in the instruction sheet does not always relate when these steps are physically tackled.

I’m sure you have done your best here Dennis, so don’t blame yourself. There are many build reviews that mention this so it’s just one (two) steps that we’ll need to resort to modelling ingenuity in order to come up with the best result. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I remember right, the cowlings are also slightly too small in Diameter on both the Blenheim and the Beaufighter kits, but I may be mistaken.

• Thanks 1

Stop it Dennis. You are giving me ideas of doing another Beaufighter like yours. Except in 1/48 I already have the flat elevator conversion for the Tamiya kit. 

By the way. Excellent progress.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone … Well sanding, filling, and polishing are about 90% done on this. I need to fiddle around the intakes on the cowlings and the secondaries ?  Are those oil coolers or superchargers along the leading edge ? Did Beaufighter’s have superchargers ? Also on the port wing outboard of that is another small bump. Is that a gun camera or something else ? The little square on the nose is a strike camera isn't it and should be removed on VI ? LYwrcpx.jpg

9vTuw1K.jpg

vu2GVjO.jpg

i8Xf2Ow.jpg

qa1r4Fm.jpg

The props are only mocked up at the moment, and will be added after painting. Speaking of paint Im still of the mind that these were T.S.S. Unless anyone knows otherwise thats what I’m probably going for. Please feel free to ask/answer questions, or post comments.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 8

Oil coolers on the wings, Dennis.

Yes, The Beaufighter engines had superchargers. Most aircraft engines by that time did so they could get over 8,000 feet of altitude. they were at the rear of the engines.

The wee bump on the port leading edge is a gun camera. There could also be a strike camera in the nose. This was fitted to Coastal Command strike aircraft, but not always. You would have to check photos and histories.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coming along really well CC,.... the tail and cut down bubble look excellent.,..... you`ll be needing a Vickers K Gun for that rear position.  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This is looking great Dennis. Going to follow the rest of your build, just got hold of the pointy nose version and it looks like a really nice kit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

This is looking great Dennis. Going to follow the rest of your build, just got hold of the pointy nose version and it looks like a really nice kit.

Hello Tony… Miracle of miracle’s I actually can start working after a 2 month break. I finally got the paints I need, and also one of my replacement A/Brush’s. The other A/B still needs some work but shouldn't be too hard to fix. Stay tuned sometime over the weekend first paint should fly. 

• Like 2

Hello one and all … Im finally back after almost two months. I was able to finally get some paints and fix my airbrushes. So today I painted up the bellies on a few of my stagnant builds. Now this is a base coat and it will be toned down some to give it a faded abused look. oUiDkaG.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Good morning everyone … I was able to wrap the main painting up on this today. It will now go through a grunging up, weathering and fading phase. Then I can show you the whole deal. ka6UJT2.jpg

wC0Dwwk.jpg

Dl3vU6p.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My apologies everyone Ive had a bit of Mojo loss lately but rallied enough today to get most of the builds on my desk through the satin coat & weathering phase. Im going to call this one done. Dk2IP6V.jpg

woH3hH9.jpg

z6hAaA2.jpg

WfUD6iV.jpg

bfK3m3e.jpg

bYSTkGx.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or leave thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8