Hasegawa A-4c VMA-223 1964 CVSG-55 USS Yorktown DET-T 1965

You folks have dragged me into another Skyhawk build. I saw this group build last year and considered it but recently it's snuck up on me. From 10/64 to 5/65 VMA-223 was deployed on the USS Yorktown on Yankee Station providing anti sub cover. All of the photos I've seen of the four 223 Skyhawks show them armed with Sidewinders. I chose this squadron in this configuration as it's not generally seen, a Marine Skyhawk on carrier deployment armed with Sidewinders. I just finished printing the markings this afternoon (after work) and will post pre-build photos tomorrow. To make this initial post more interesting let me show some previous builds...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Great collection Michael, judging by these earlier builds it looks like we’re in for a treat.  You seem to like Marine Skyhawks :happy:

AW

• Like 2

That's a great Skyhawk collection!👍

I'm also interested in those Skyhawks that went on the Vietnam cruises of the CVS's. They are a way of building an aircraft of the Bennington, Hornet, Kearsarge and Yorktown without building a lot of S-2 Trackers.

VA-113 Det Q aboard the USS Bennington would also be interesting, I think these were the only A-4B's that did a Vietnam cruise. 

Like me, you're "a bit late" to GB but I hope to see this one get completed.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 2

Welcome to the GB Michael, fashionably late but as others are proving still with time to finish a very nice model.

And looking at your previous Skyhawks we will be in for a real treat.

I really like your choice of subject, something a bit different, as you say how often to do see models of Marine Skyhawks on a carrier armed with Sidewinders. I am really looking forward to seeing this come together.

• Like 1

Here we go. First thing to do is eliminate that step in the wings. Printed decals in the photo-2 sets of WP and lightning bolts as one was just a bit too big. Blacksheep markings are for the leading edge slats on my VMA-214 plane previously built.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi, 

Good start. I'm going to attach the nose halves to the fuselage (instead of making the nosecone and attaching that to the closed fueslage) on my next A-4C build. 

I noticed that VA-113 Det Q's A-4B's weren't the only B-models to be on a Vietnam cruise. VA-153 Det R on the USS Kearsarge was also with A-4B's.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

Nice work in the cockpit, the dry brushing has really brought the details out. The seat looks really good and you have painted it really well.

Looks like you have finished the painting too, and very nice smooth coats they look like as well.

I really am amazed at how quickly you are building such an excellent model.

• Like 1

Finished. I needed this. I've just finished an AMT Kenworth project that took a bit of work (photos in the auto section) and was riveting an Academy 1/48 CH-53E when I realized this build was going. Nice to do something quick and relaxing, the Hasegawa Skyhawk is an old friend.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Michael Taylor
  • Like 4

That really is a great result, and I can't believe how quickly you achieved it!

Great to see a US Scooter in a less usual configuration.

Thank you for taking part in the GB and for producing such an excellent model in such a short space of time.

Very well done.

Oh and don't forget to put 5 pics up in the gallery too.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 1