Minion-schmitt number 2, Friedrich goes to Russia, via Hungary.

Sorry to see this one is throwing up issues with regards to the parts fit Craig but looks as if you're well on the way to mastering it :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Sorry to see this one is throwing up issues with regards to the parts fit Craig but looks as if you're well on the way to mastering it :) 

Cheers Col, it is pretty much the shape it should be now, hopefully I shall get some pics up tomorrow.

• Like 1

Sorry about the delay in updating the thread, had a couple of rough days and lost the mojo a bit but I am back in the saddle now.

The wing section fitted to the fuselage quite well in the end with only a smear of PPP needed in a couple of places and the tailplanes were a pretty good fit too, and with that done I headed into the spraying area and put down the white needed for the tail markings and also the yellow theatre markings on the wings, fuselage and nose. when that was dry I masked off the white areas on the tail and sprayed the red and green areas. I had also given the wing and fuselage areas where the Hungarian markings will go a light coat of white to try and help the white in the decals stand out, I borrowed this idea from @Ray_W's excellent Bulgarian 109G6 build.

When all the above was dry I masked it off and got a coat of Xtracryilcs RLM76 on the undersides, it didn't go particularly well for some reason but I persevered and am happier now with the results. Next came the RLM 74 and 75 on the upper surfaces for which I used Lifecolor paints and they worked very well indeed and I even had a go at mottling with them which whilst not perfect turned out pretty good for me, to be honest I was fairly safe as I am going to cover most of it with whitewash which is why the wing surfaces were done freehand and not masked. here are a couple of pictures of the uppers and one of the under surfaces so that you can see what she looks like at the minute starting with the undersides;

spacer.png

And a couple of the upper surfaces;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The upper nose section needs to have some RLM 70 sprayed on randomly, the instructions say to do it in 75 but other pictures of aircraft from the same unit at the same time clearly show a dark green which seems to match the propeller, so 70 it shall be. When that is done it will be on with a clear coat for the decals. Decals before the whitewash you say? Yes, I plan on doing it just like the real thing by putting the whitewash on roughly with a brush around the markings, what could possibly go wrong!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Decals before the whitewash you say? Yes, I plan on doing it just like the real thing by putting the whitewash on roughly with a brush around the markings, what could possibly go wrong!

Your camouflage is looking really good Craig.  The pattern wasn't usually a very hard edge.  I've used that method before, applying the whitewash over the paintwork, avoiding the markings and it came out really well, I must do it again, I think I have a few 109Fs knocking around in the stash. :whistle:

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Your camouflage is looking really good Craig.  The pattern wasn't usually a very hard edge.  I've used that method before, applying the whitewash over the paintwork, avoiding the markings and it came out really well, I must do it again, I think I have a few 109Fs knocking around in the stash. :whistle:

Cheers Bob, much appreciated.

I used the whitewash method a couple of times before on a Soviet B-25 and an RAF Harrier and it can be very effective.  I would very much like to see you have a crack at it on one of the small amount of F's in your stash.

• Like 1

Hi Craig, just catching up on your thread. As has been said before the fit of the cowling leaves a little to be desired. Shame as I'm sure when the kit first came out I read the magazines, in the day, claiming what a great kit it was...

Think mine can probably go in the disposal pile now...

Anyway great results in the end and be interesting to see the winter whitewash finish!

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Craig, just catching up on your thread. As has been said before the fit of the cowling leaves a little to be desired. Shame as I'm sure when the kit first came out I read the magazines, in the day, claiming what a great kit it was...

Think mine can probably go in the disposal pile now...

Anyway great results in the end and be interesting to see the winter whitewash finish!

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl,

Yes it is a shame about the cowling fit issues but it doesn't look too bad now that I have mangled it roughly into shape, I do have another in the stash and am probably going to keep it and built it with the cowlings open and engine exposed and some time in far distant future.

I have had some more time at the bench this morning and have got the RLM 70 on the engine cowling and prop blades, actually went quite well. When that was done it was time to remove all the masking to see what state the paint underneath was, again that was actually okay but a few areas need a couple of touch ups, the rest will be covered with the whitewash. Here are a couple of pics to show how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job will be touching up the paint and then getting a good gloss coat on ready for the decals.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

Hi Craig,

Looks good. Seems you sorted out the cowling fit issues. I do like how Zvezda open up the holes in the wheel wells.

Ray

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

Looks good. Seems you sorted out the cowling fit issues. I do like how Zvezda open up the holes in the wheel wells.

Ray

Thanks Ray, like I said earlier Zvezda have done some very good work on this kit in places, only to let themselves down with the fit of some of the parts.

The decals are done, the SBS decals behaved flawlessly just as they did last time I used them on a Do-17 a few years ago. They are really nice and thin and suck down into the detail really well, here's a pic of the completed scheme;

spacer.png

And a closer look at one of the under wing decals that shows how they have gone into the recessed details;

spacer.png

Next job will be to start applying the whitewash!

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

Decals have gone on brilliantly. Very attractive scheme. Looking forward to the whitewash.

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:55 AM, Ray_W said:

Decals have gone on brilliantly. Very attractive scheme. Looking forward to the whitewash.

Ray

On 7/17/2021 at 7:28 AM, Jasper dog said:

Looking good!

I do like the splash of colour on the tail, very smart!

19 hours ago, Roberto said:

Lovely scheme, and a good work!

Thanks Ray, Darryl and Roberto, I am very pleased that you are happy with my 109 so far.

No progress unfortunately as the heatwave has really knocked me for six.

• Like 1

Managed to get some time in on Friedrich and have given her around 4 coats of whitewash applied very roughly with a small flat brush, it doesn't look very pretty but this is how she looks;

spacer.png

Next job will be to start sanding it back to reveal some of the markings and to give her a worn and well used look.

Craig.

• Like 9

Sorry to hear about All the trouble now that I earlier said it was a good kit. I recall it as bring a fine set, but I did make mine with the hoods open, so thats proberly why. Lokking good what you've come up with💪😉

Edited by fmichelsen

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

it doesn't look very pretty but this is how she look

Hi Craig,

Well done on a very brave step. Certainly isn't pretty but you have captured the look nicely for hand painted/broomed white wash. I would now be using a very fine sanding sponge to smooth the surface a little, in my case a worn Tamiya 3000. I note you're going to be doing some sanding.

Ray

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

Well done on a very brave step. Certainly isn't pretty but you have captured the look nicely for hand painted/broomed white wash. I would now be using a very fine sanding sponge to smooth the surface a little, in my case a worn Tamiya 3000. I note you're going to be doing some sanding.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks mate, and yes I am using a sanding sponge (dampened) to try to get the effect that I want, very nearly there now so hopefully there will be pics later.

• Like 1

Well as promised here are shots of how she looks after the whitewash has been weathered back, starting with a shot from overhead;

spacer.png

I have given the areas on the wing that got the most wear from feet and exhaust the heaviest sanding, all the way back to the paint and this will also get some chipping and scuff marks and exhaust staining. Below are a couple of shots from the sides;

spacer.png

spacer.png

After a coat of matt varnish to protect it I shall make a start on the weathering, hopefully tomorrow.

Craig.

• Like 8

Great result, Craig! Always scary burying your prized build under whitewash. I am feeling cold just looking at it.  

Ray 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Great result, Craig! Always scary burying your prized build under whitewash. I am feeling cold just looking at it.  

Ray 

Thanks Ray, yes I was a little worried as I actually liked how she looked before the  whitewash was applied, but I like how she looks now too. I was hoping it might make me feel a bit cooler too as it has been around 30 degrees over here for around 4 days and will continue until Saturday, its not helping the breathing much at all!

• Like 1

Nice work on the white wash Craig. 

Just one one question as I’ve never tried one yet. If you go a bit heavy with the sander can you just apply some more over the top or will mess things up?

Thanks

James

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work on the white wash Craig. 

Just one one question as I’ve never tried one yet. If you go a bit heavy with the sander can you just apply some more over the top or will mess things up?

Thanks

James

Thanks James.

Yes mate, if you go a bit mad with the sanding you can apply more over the top. It's unusual stuff as even when its dried when you sand it back (I use moistened micromesh or a sanding sponge) it goes back to liquid again so you have to be a bit careful with how much moisture you apply. But when it has dried again you can just apply more on top.

• Like 2