Bristol Fighter - Carry On Up the Khyber !

I know what you're thinking, this shows no imagination and there will be blooming dozens of these during this GB.

However as I'm posting first and it's another, cutting edge bang up to date kit from 1981, and it's got marking for an aircraft in North West India, I hope I will be forgiven.

IMG_5897

IMG_5898

@TonyW is this another box I need to keep for you ?

Good luck everyone !

Cheers Pat

Edit: Title change, I'll include some clips from the film as the build progresses..... you have been warned !

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Hang about!! I thought you were just ‘considering’ this GB Pat, now I see your the first one to declare your hand. Great to see you onboard.

I know the Airfix Brisfit after taking it out if it’s box and frighteningly putting it back as soon as possible after a few seconds of view time. Good luck, I’m sure it’ll be lots of fun. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

well, that was fast! Great choice, but too many wings for me!!! One wing takes me long enough to finish, so two wings...

This is a truly great aeroplane, so the result should be superb... as usual.

Have fun mate.

JR

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

@TonyW is this another box I need to keep for you ?

Cheers Pat

I'm covered for that one Pat, thanks for thinking of me though. I think I've also got an Airfix Jigsaw that uses that picture. 

While I'm here, I'm pretty sure I have an Airfix Super Freighter that would fit in nicely. Put me down for that as an entry please.

• Like 1

• JOCKNEY changed the title to Bristol Fighter - Carry On Up the Khyber !

Nice. I have a 1/48 Brisfit I’m going to finish in IAC colours

19bd9cec-e67d-4886-8b6c-1e43001401e4.jpeThis would have been my second choice  ….

resized_df6d11d6-ea7d-4211-9a03-8ce0c2a1

resized_a876a804-3079-4f6d-9a06-5654dfceOr this captured one.

resized_833305fe-1af2-47af-b281-3f74c505Both from this. Well worth getting a copy for reference.

• Like 4

I’d love to build these two but as a rule if I build something that the Air Corp flew the first one gets done in that scheme. 

50558414398_3bd4879a0a_c.jpgso far I’ve built a Gladiator 

resized_3039bc31-0272-4625-9654-d0847fcbAnd a Walrus.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

I had one of these, though a much older boxing, sitting on one of my display shelves 20 years ago when one of our cats managed to walk on it, dislodging the upper wing and u/c. I bought a replacement and it is still about somewhere so I could build it I suppose. I may have to treat it to new struts as I seem to remember the kit ones are round, and as to the "crew", the old Airfix Mk 1 5ft tall very skinny ones I suspect!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Unfortunately this project may be finished before its started, as its incomplete, see picture below.

IMG_5920

Here's the instructions 

IMG_5921

The observant will notice

1. Both crew missing (Not an issue)

2. One small strut missing (I can make this)

3. Radiator grill (need this)

4. Undercarriage leg (need this)

So I'm off to the wanted section, to hopefully find parts, unless someone can mold them from theirs if not this ones a dead duck I'm afraid. 😢

Cheers Pat

• Sad 2

Hi Paty,

Assuming I can find it and they are intact you can have my old one - the one the cat squashed if you want. The struts look better than I thought.

Pete

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Paty,

Assuming I can find it and they are intact you can have my old one - the one the cat squashed if you want. The struts look better than I thought.

Pete

Thanks Pete

But please see if its recoverable first, having admired your recent biplane build, it would be great to see you rebuild it.

On 04/06/2021 at 21:01, JOCKNEY said:

bang up to date kit from 1981

1957 was the original mould. Since then it has been modified a few times, including changes to add the over-exaggerated fabric effect and at least one upgrade of pilot figures. I remember building the Dogfight Double (with the Fokker Triplane) in a rainy caravan in North Wales in the late 1960s.

As @Rabbit Leader Dave says, a good one to stuff back in the box as quickly as possible. But now you’ve gone public I guess we can all watch :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As Adrian says it has been "upgraded" at least once as my 2010 boxing definitely has new crew figures who don't look like half starved aliens, the downside perhaps being that they are legless! Just had a look at my ancient one and actually, once the 3 layers of paint and thick Ronseal varnish have been stripped off it actually was not that bad a kit bearing in mind its age. I see Pat's one has an awful lot of ejector pin marks on the wings though judging from my own experiments in moulding thin flat surfaces I guess that is slightly inevitable given the technology at the time.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

The inside of the fuselage is indeed stamped 1957, and its molded in that classic metallic silver plastic of the period.

@PeterB has been kind enough to send me the radiator grill and undercarriage leg for his collection, so now I have no excuses not to build this one, and am really looking forward to it.

I completely agree about the wing sink marks, that's going to take a bit of work, but with its silver finish it's definitely going to look distinctive.

Fortunately I have the comfort of knowing that @Jinxman is building a biplane as well :rofl2:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, John Masters said:

Pat...how is the kit coming along?

Hi John

I've been working on my Stirling in the Under A Tenner GB, plus 2 x 109's in the STGB, so this and the Blenheim have taken a back seat I afraid. 

However I promise that will change soon.

Cheers Pat

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've been working on my Stirling in the Under A Tenner GB, plus 2 x 109's in the STGB, so this and the Blenheim have taken a back seat I afraid. 

And rightly so Pat!  You have more going on than I.  😁

• Haha 1

On 06/06/2021 at 16:21, Muddyf said:

Khyber Pass eh? Flying air support for the famed 1st Foot & Mouth Regiment (Devils in skirts)!

Count me interested 😁

My Grandfather was on the North West Frontier in the early 1920s. Royal Engineers, skirts optional...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress, sprayed the filled parts of the wings, and painted the interior to represent the linen interior, doubt any of it will be visible when I close up the fuselage 

IMG_6004

Now as promised, a clip from the film

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking good mate,...... and what a brilliant film,......... did you know the Kyber Pass used in the film was actually in Wales?   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Looking good mate,...... and what a brilliant film,......... did you know the Kyber Pass used in the film was actually in Wales?   

North Wales as was Inn of the Sixth Happiness.

Lovely to see venerable old kits like this ‘getting the love’.

Trevor

• Like 2