IJN carrier aircraft early 1930s colour?

Vlad

I'm building Hasegawa's 1/700 Akagi three deck, but this question is about the air group so I figured it goes here not in the Maritime section 😝

Anyway, I have some Type 13 bombers (B1M) and some Type 90 fighters (A2N). The instructions say they should be painted "silver", which I assume is meant to be some aluminium paint or doping because these are fabric covered biplanes. However, I am seeing various artworks and profiles online showing these aircraft painted white, which I assume is meant to be that IJN light grey that's so hard to pin down on early Zeores.

So which is correct? Light grey, white or metallic aluminium/silver?

The Japanese colours are now known.  The light grey "that's so hard to pin down" isn't on the list of paints: because the light grey is what it fades into with a few years on a Pacific island (or even rather quicker than that).  I'm not sure that ame-iro is necessarily right either.  See various postings on j.aircraft.org or Nick Millman's blog or his booklet on the Zero for Guideline.  As a tip, one of the colours he recommends for a reasonable match if RAF Hemp.

For my recent A6M2 Zero I used the Colourcoats Zero Grey/ACJ16 as this is based upon Nick Millman's research and looks spot on for early MItsubishi built Zeros. although admittedly mine was a PH example so not sure if this would be correct for earlier examples.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Metallic silver! The ame-iro (J3 amber grey) didn't appear before 1940.

Great news 😁 thank you. I like this look and I don't like painting with light greys.

5 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Japanese colours are now known.  The light grey "that's so hard to pin down" isn't on the list of paints: because the light grey is what it fades into with a few years on a Pacific island (or even rather quicker than that).  I'm not sure that ame-iro is necessarily right either.  See various postings on j.aircraft.org or Nick Millman's blog or his booklet on the Zero for Guideline.  As a tip, one of the colours he recommends for a reasonable match if RAF Hemp.

Sorry, I came across more ignorant than I meant to. Yes, the colours are known but finding matches is more awkward especially if you want it lightened for fading or scale effect. I am always surprised how dark this grey actually is supposed to be when fresh, I will remember your recommendation of Hemp for if/when I do a Zero or something similar. However it seems it is not appropriate for my current project anyway.

The faded light grey isn't too far from the prewar German civil colour L40/52 Hellgrau, available from Colourcoats.  I dare say there are other paints that could do, but most camouflage greys are indeed darker.  Maybe try RAF Sky Grey or the lightest of the USAF Compass Ghost greys?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

For my recent A6M2 Zero I used the Colourcoats Zero Grey/ACJ16 as this is based upon Nick Millman's research and looks spot on for early MItsubishi built Zeros. although admittedly mine was a PH example so not sure if this would be correct for earlier examples.

Regards

Colin.

Period photos show A6M1 Zeros in China in an apparent slightly contrasting two-tone finish, with the dividing line vertical at the transport joint behind the cockpit. I believe this is still not understood.

3 hours ago, Rolls-Royce said:

slightly contrasting two-tone finish, with the dividing line vertical at the transport joint behind the cockpit.

Most likely different fading due to the tarpaulin that protected cockpit and forward fuselage from sun and elements when resting.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Toryu said:

Most likely different fading due to the tarpaulin that protected cockpit and forward fuselage from sun and elements when resting.

I have seen that put forward as a possible cause before.

11 hours ago, Rolls-Royce said:

Period photos show A6M1 Zeros in China in an apparent slightly contrasting two-tone finish, with the dividing line vertical at the transport joint behind the cockpit. I believe this is still not understood.

Those were not A6M1 but A6M2 Model 11 with non-folding wing tips. A6M1 was the designation for the prototypes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dov said:

My choice from original photos for a B2M2.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice build! Metallic silver is definitely a good look on these planes in combination with the red 🙂

3 hours ago, dov said:

My choice from original photos for a B2M2.

Beautiful model, dov! Is that the 1/72 Choroszy Modelbud kit?

AVImodels 1/72 A5m1 - started with an aluminum overall paint, followed with a mottling of weathered/oxidization.  This was achieved by mixing white powder and paint with the metal paint, thinned with Tamiya alcohol thinner and water.   Working in small areas at a time, applied by brush followed immediately by dabbing surface with fingertip.

39450953485_a08d3849c5_b.jpg

26476982828_750769d907_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fukuryu said:

Those were not A6M1 but A6M2 Model 11 with non-folding wing tips. A6M1 was the designation for the prototypes.

Thanks for the correction. I knew there was a "1" in the designation somewhere!

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Like 1