Another popular Airfix A-4B Skyhawk - Green Lizards

It really is one of the best $14 kits you can buy. Is it the best 1/72 Skyhawk? Not a chance. But for the price it can't be beat, especially as a quick build. Most of the kit fits pretty well. There are fit issues with the air brakes so I recommend showing them deployed. Also the canopy doesn't fit quite right where it pivots at the top of the fuselage.

All out of the box with a few missing final touches: No nav lights are painted and the gear doors are missing the signature red outline. Just got lazy at the end of the build and wanted to move on. This was used as a test bed for a few pre/post shading techniques. 

You can view this kit and more on my website www.foxtwomodels.com

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31

For a kit that seems to be much maligned, all of the ones I have seen built up have looked pretty darned good- in the hands of a capable builder, which you certainly appear to be, it can hold its own even with the Fujimi early Scooters. Not a fan of this style of  panel line technique, personally, but you have made  a very nice model! 👍

Mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

For a kit that seems to be much maligned, all of the ones I have seen built up have looked pretty darned good- in the hands of a capable builder, which you certainly appear to be, it can hold its own even with the Fujimi early Scooters. Not a fan of this style of  panel line technique, personally, but you have made  a very nice model! 👍

Mike

I'm not a fan either. I was experimenting with some post shading and didn't thin the paint enough. 

It does build up nicely if you give it attention but I wouldn't be entering the Airfix boxing in a competition. But credit to airfix with giving you plenty of options such as 3 fuel tanks, and two types of bombs. Along with extra pylons if you want to try and convert it to an A-4E.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2021 at 17:46, Fox_Two said:

Is it the best 1/72 Skyhawk?

This is an excellent Scooter! You made a great build out of the Airfix kit. 👍  Well, maybe there are other fine Skyhawk kits in 1/72 but I think it is the best A-4B. Of course, the Fujimi A-4B is more detailed when it comes to the panel lines but it is not so easy to build since the cockpit section has to be aligned with the rest of the fuselage. Moreover, Fujimi kits are hardly available nowadays. According to their Japanese webpage almost all of their 1/72 kits are out of stock. But at least some of those kits including several of the A-4s are finally available in Europe again thanks to the reiusses of Hobby 2000.

Edited by 112 Squadron