Airfix 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 in Cuban Guise

Hi There,

I picked this up recently and got to building quite quickly.

It all fitted very well with very little filler used.

I fancied doing a Cuban version.

Would this version have had The Cuban Flag Tailplane, Bombs and the wing fold utilised.

Probably not but I wanted it this way.

Transfers: Xtradecal X48175 Hawker Sea Fury Collection.

Primed with Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey.

Painted with Tamiya XF -62 Olive Drab, X-18 Semi-Gloss Black,Tamiya XF-2 Flat White, Tamiya XF-08 Flat Blue, Tamiya LP-21 Italian Red, XF-85 Rubber Black, Colourcoats Buff masquerading as Hawker Yellow and Extreme Metals Aluminium.

Pre-shading was done with Tamiya XF-89 Dark Green 2 and then mottling for variation was done with Tamiya XF-57 Buff.

Exhaust staining with Tamiya Weathering Master and washed with Flory Dark Dirt and Citadel Nuln Oil

Finished with Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish for the Fuselage and Satin for the Spinner and Propeller.

x144shT.jpg

XUha0cr.jpg

VUrxi4K.jpg

ASdVtAH.jpg

Q9szq22.jpg

GcLeEOO.jpg

5B5WcAI.jpg

A537PWN.jpg

RrSJAlm.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 53

3 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Beautiful Sea Fury and nice to see a really different scheme! The subtle weathering looks very nice indeed :)

Thanks very much for your kind comment.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 hour ago, 28ZComeback said:

Weathering is perfect.  Did you use any aftermarket?? 

Thanks so much.

No aftermarket apart from the transfers.

Cheers,

Alistair

21 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Gorgeous looking Fury, great build !

Wulfman

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 minute ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Interesting timing, @AliGauld, I was just looking at Cuban aircraft yesterday and was thinking it would be interesting to see one of the Sea Furies in their markings. Voila, you delivered! Looks great.

Thanks very much.

It was going cheap on Amazon. (Sorry, I'll wash my mouth out.) and I've always fancied doing a Cuban one so I went for it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Nice build Ali - and I agree with the others, that your weathering looks all the better for being subtle.

Lovely to see it with wings folded, and I really like the interesting Cuban scheme.

Ori'jate as we say in this part of the galaxy.

Q

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Nice build Ali - and I agree with the others, that your weathering looks all the better for being subtle.

Lovely to see it with wings folded, and I really like the interesting Cuban scheme.

Ori'jate as we say in this part of the galaxy.

Q

Many Thanks Q,

I'm always scared that I'm going to overdo it so try to leave it more subtle.

Works for me.

Cheers,

Alistair

Very nice build- sure looks different, but very nice in Cuban colors and markings. You did a very nice job on the cowling, which I have read  is a real pain to put together. You also got the primer color that Hawker used on Sea Furies and Tempest II's right. Missed by many modelers.

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice build- sure looks different, but very nice in Cuban colors and markings. You did a very nice job on the cowling, which I have read  is a real pain to put together. You also got the primer color that Hawker used on Sea Furies and Tempest II's right. Missed by many modelers.

Mike

Thanks very much.

To be honest the cowling was fairly easy but I think that the reputation comes from the first release of the Fury. There was no evidence of a short shot on the tail plane either.

Airfix may have done something to fix this.

As for the colour all credit to Sovereign Hobbies. Their Buff C07 looked to be a pretty close match to me.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

A very unusual, very nicely done subject, and knocked out while you were doing the Il2. You’re a modelling machine Alistair!

Craig.  

Thanks Craig,

To be honest it kind of fell together and you have to wait a looooong time for sprue goo to cure.

Cheers,

Alistair

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely job on this Alistair, and it's great to see the scheme chosen,  a very nice project

Great work 

Chris

Thanks so much Chris.

It was a fun little build to keep me occupied during the IL-2 downtime.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done, and it's just the way I would have imagined them to have appeared in '61.

Thanks so much for your kind comment.

Cheers,

Alistair

• 2 years later...