1/48 Hasegawa Phantom FGR.2

I have done the black! I am using the Syhart decal sheet which includes vinyl masks for some of the bits. They worked really well, although the big test will be when I try to match the decals to the the masked areas. That's a whole barrel of fun I am not looking forward to. Forgot to take a pic of the drop tanks, but they got the same treatment and look lovely. Next up, gloss coat prior to decals.

VwT1ewF.jpg

Edited by DonH
  • Like 5

On 10/07/2021 at 16:20, At Sea said:

The FG.1 bits are in quite high demand as they allow someone to convert the Revell (Hasegawa re-pop) FGR.2 into the very hard to find FG.1.

So if you aren't going to do that yourself I would suggest that you could raise a reasonable sum of money on a well known auction site with them. Same goes for the kit decals. 

I have cash waiting for those Stabs 😘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2021 at 2:56 AM, Ben Hartmann said:

I have cash waiting for those Stabs 

Sadly, the stabs may get used on my F-4J(UK).

So, gloss coat is on. Next step is decals.

VwT1ewF.jpg

Yes, this is the same photo as my previous post. It looks the same now, only shinier. Forgot to gloss the splitter plates, so that's a job for tomorrow.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, DonH said:

Sadly, the stabs may get used on my F-4J(UK).

Why didn’t I think of that? I have a scrap Hasegawa F-4S (with the etch sprue for the stiffening plates for a late FGR.2) that I can steal the slotted stabs from, and there’s probably a fat nose leg in the spares bin somewhere. 

Build is coming along Phantastic! 

Rgds

• Like 1

Starting to look a bit more like a Tiger

B3K4kqW.jpg

This is the Syhart decal sheet and the decals are superb. Thin and tough and the carrier film just disappears. I am really impressed and very happy because I have a load more to do.

Next up....Tiger Feet

0Xw5TRu.jpgdIFux6P.jpg

Technically, it is Tiger foot, because I have only done one drop tank. The other looks quite bare in comparison...

v7iwKx8.jpg

Still to come, more fun with decals. This could take a while!

• Like 4

Moving on nicely, these decals are excellent. There's just a lot of them. Now, I only have all the fuselage stripes to put on...

JcQNk5I.jpg

wJppAPg.jpg

Ypgek7I.jpg

CtIY3tB.jpg

Of4KO3m.jpg

HTNIGoD.jpg

An0QJrK.jpg

I have a couple of days of work this week, so may get some more done in between the chores.

Later

Don

• Like 5

On 14/06/2021 at 19:05, iainpeden said:

XV404 I think - shame she never flew in the scheme. I also visited Wattisham in April '93 as they were chopping her up - I still haven't got over the experience. 

Good job you are going for intake covers (although did she ever use them?) - I got to the point of painting the one I did (1/72) and came to the conclusion that the intakes were sprayed black at least some of the way in.

Don - you also obviously support my fave team!

The intakes were indeed black.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

The intakes were indeed black.

I think you are correct. Mine will have the intake covers fitted.

Out of interest, how do you know for sure that they were black? Photos I have seen are a little inconclusive, although tending towards black in my view. Did you have more intimate knowledge of XV404? It would be great to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonH said:

Out of interest, how do you know for sure that they were black? Photos I have seen are a little inconclusive, although tending towards black in my view. Did you have more intimate knowledge of XV404? It would be great to know.

Seems like they were black all the way through aft of the splitter plate. Same with the exhausts being completely sprayed black too, as well as the leading edges, I can only guess that this aircraft had no intention of ever flying again, or was just BDR or a showpiece for that particular airshow.

Would be great to get more knowledge of 404 in the twilight of its years.

ATB

Ben

37 minutes ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Seems like they were black all the way through aft of the splitter plate. Same with the exhausts being completely sprayed black too, as well as the leading edges, I can only guess that this aircraft had no intention of ever flying again, or was just BDR or a showpiece for that particular airshow.

Would be great to get more knowledge of 404 in the twilight of its years.

ATB

Ben

Hi Ben,

I agree it would be great to know more. XV404 never flew in this livery, which is a real shame, it would have been a show stopper!

This particular build is part of my "Hello & Goodbye" set of Hasegawa Phantoms. I am also building an F-4J (UK) as ZE363 as it appeared part way through its delivery flight. It was the first F-4J (UK) to have a black tail. That particular build is partway through primer but still some way to go on the details in the cockpit and the seats.

4 minutes ago, DonH said:

Hi Ben,

I agree it would be great to know more. XV404 never flew in this livery, which is a real shame, it would have been a show stopper!

This particular build is part of my "Hello & Goodbye" set of Hasegawa Phantoms. I am also building an F-4J (UK) as ZE363 as it appeared part way through its delivery flight. It was the first F-4J (UK) to have a black tail. That particular build is partway through primer but still some way to go on the details in the cockpit and the seats.

Aye Sir, 

You can NEVER have enough Phantoms! Look forward to seeing that one too. 

Always room for more 

Benspacer.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DonH said:

I know someone who saw her shortly after roll out in the scheme, and as Ben says, the intake interiors were sprayed black all the way back past the splitter plates. Sadly, it was known at the time that she woukd never fly in the scheme which allowed some artistic licence as it was purely decorative. Apparently the black intake interiors were a notable feature and made her look 'menacing'. He believes the FOD guards were also painted black to maintain the effect when in place. 

Edited by Whitewolf
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

I know someone who saw her shortly after roll out in the scheme, and as Ben says, the intake interiors were sprayed black all the way back past the splitter plates. Sadly, it was known at the time that she woukd never fly in the scheme which allowed some artistic licence as it was purely decorative. Apparently the black intake interiors were a notable feature and made her look 'menacing'.

Another thing to note as well as control and ‘hot’ surfaces being sprayed completely black is that the entire airframe is completely devoid of stencils, which I suppose is good news for you Don as you’ll be able to repurpose the low-viz stencil data on your F-4J(UK) build.

Chow for now

Ben

5 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Another thing to note as well as control and ‘hot’ surfaces being sprayed completely black is that the entire airframe is completely devoid of stencils, which I suppose is good news for you Don as you’ll be able to repurpose the low-viz stencil data on your F-4J(UK) build.

Chow for now

Ben

Hi Ben,

Yes, the lack of stencils and no metal surfaces are an added bonus for me. I have black FOD covers ready to fit but may have to add a bit of black paint to the intakes to sort any gaps betwixt and between said covers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

I know someone who saw her shortly after roll out in the scheme, and as Ben says, the intake interiors were sprayed black all the way back past the splitter plates. Sadly, it was known at the time that she woukd never fly in the scheme which allowed some artistic licence as it was purely decorative. Apparently the black intake interiors were a notable feature and made her look 'menacing'. He believes the FOD guards were also painted black to maintain the effect when in place. 

Thanks!

It’s always nice to hear about people who know because they were there. I have a few photos that clearly show black FOD covers and I have a set ready to fit.

• Like 1

Tiger got stripes!

I am VERY happy with the outcome. As I have said before, these Syhart decals are brilliant and I can highly recommend them.

oVuJfKn.jpg

hruF4AY.jpg

3zFv929.jpg

Next up, gloss coat to seal in the decals and then some touch ups and finishing touches. 

• Like 9

Brilliant! I am building the Revell release right now, I wish I had seen this thread before - especially the "unplanned genius" way to get a better fit! And of course, I also managed to break my fuel pipe. :D

• Like 1

Further research on the intake colour (staring at internet pictures) reveals that the bottom lip of the intake was orange at least up to the FOD cover. That makes me suspect that the outer vertical wall was also orange rather than black but I have no evidence to support that. It is possible/likely that the inner wall of the intake was black. I would say that the pictures suggest black although that could just be shadow.  As I am adding (black) FOD covers, it is slightly academic. I suspect that the intakes behind the FOD covers were black and the front edges were orange. Almost total speculation but that is what tinternet is for.

Interesting that I have seen many pictures of "normal" Phantoms where shadows make the intakes look black. Funny old world 'innit?

XV404 is done! I really enjoyed assembling this kit and I was really pleased with the look of the kit seats once I had added a few details. Mixing the "right" shade of orange was an easy challenge and the decals were brilliant.Going to put some pics in the RFI section.

cBVHT42.jpg

• Like 1