1/48 Hasegawa Phantom FGR.2

I thought I would have a go at this:

dP23LTr.jpg

I won't be using the kit decals, I have something else in mind. I must be mad as this is the third kit I have in WIP on my bench. Multiple builds in progress never end well for me but I am hoping things will work out this time!

This is a cockpit...

bqh6Bna.jpg?2 D1jZ66W.jpg?1

It certainly isn't a FGR.2 cockpit but the urge to build has overcome the urge for accuracy. Anyway, the canopies will be closed and I won't tell if you won't.

Kit seats...not too bad. I can work with these.

fvdC8YJ.jpg?1

yCo1uEY.jpg?1

I will add some belts and gizmos to busy them up a bit. Sorry about the horrible paint on the seat cushions, I painted them some time ago before closing the box again. I will do better this time.

So, three in WIP now, don't expect this to be quick.

• Like 8

Don’t forget the Stabilators provided in this boxing aren’t the common ones for standard FGR.2’s, but instead the ones used for FG.1s.

I’d be more than happy to swap them if you felt the need to do so! Looking forward to seeing this build.

Rgds

Ben

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh excellent Don!

Great start, and who dosent love a Brit Toom eh?

I'm in no hurry either as you can see with my 32nd one, although I do something every night progress is still slow!

Cheers Anthony

Thanks Anthony, yes, the British Toom is by far the loveliest of the F-4 family.

Let's have a competition to see which of us can build the most accurate FGR.2 😆

7 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Don’t forget the Stabilators provided in this boxing aren’t the common ones for standard FGR.2’s, but instead the ones used for FG.1s.

I’d be more than happy to swap them if you felt the need to do so! Looking forward to seeing this build.

Rgds

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your very kind offer. Joy of joys, I have both types of stabilators in the box. I am thinking it is possible to build an FG.1 from this boxing, with the possible exception of the extendable nose leg. However, given the state of the cockpit, a standard nose gear leg is not a show stopper if you wanted a FG.1. TBH, I haven't checked the nose gear bits yet, so there may be a long one in there somewhere.

Well, this is an interesting kit. There is the extendable nose leg and all the other parts to build up a passable FG.1 if you wish (I don't). So now the fuselage is together:

QViglsF.jpg

In a stroke of unplanned genius, i didn't glue the bottom plate that sits over the wings. That allowed me to do this:

oUAdeJr.jpg

A small shim rammed up near the intakes. This splays out the back but allows movement so that the wing joint looks like this:

RBOg9Dn.jpg

hKlTGPx.jpg

I'm happy with that and the general fit so far. Any filling required to this stage has been self inflicted and not due to poor kit. However, I have just started work on the intakes and they are truly awful. FOD covers are in my future. I will splash a bit of paint around the intake area soon which may give away the scheme I am aiming at.

Cheers

Don

• Like 9

Very small update today. Not much work done over the weekend but it is up on the landing gear. I managed to splash some paint into the hard to reach crevices and this may give you a clue as to the final scheme I am wandering towards.

nOMvASV.jpg

I intend to add some wiring to the back of the rear panel just to make it look a bit busier. One interesting thing in the kit is a small part (C21, to be precise) that I swear is the periscope for the FGR.2. It's probably something else entirely but will be pressed into service.

Clearly, I will need to prime this bird as the orange paint is quite transparent. Will probably use white primer as that will cover the underparts at the same time.

• Like 5

XV404 I think - shame she never flew in the scheme. I also visited Wattisham in April '93 as they were chopping her up - I still haven't got over the experience. 

Good job you are going for intake covers (although did she ever use them?) - I got to the point of painting the one I did (1/72) and came to the conclusion that the intakes were sprayed black at least some of the way in.

Don - you also obviously support my fave team!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DonH said:

One interesting thing in the kit is a small part (C21, to be precise) that I swear is the periscope for the FGR.2. It's probably something else entirely but will be pressed into service.

I'm pretty sure it IS the periscope, though not mentioned in the instructions. At least I used it as a periscope on my build, and a damn fine periscope it made too!

Enjoying your build enormously ...... love the Spey Phantoms.

Q

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Touchstone42 said:

Paint scheme…. Grrrrrrrrrr?

Exactly! Tigerrrrrrrr

6 hours ago, iainpeden said:

XV404 I think - shame she never flew in the scheme. I also visited Wattisham in April '93 as they were chopping her up - I still haven't got over the experience. 

Good job you are going for intake covers (although did she ever use them?) - I got to the point of painting the one I did (1/72) and came to the conclusion that the intakes were sprayed black at least some of the way in.

Don - you also obviously support my fave team!

XV404 it is. I am upset by the photos of the Wattisham dump, so I cannot imagine what it was like for real.

There is speculation (on tinternet, so it must be true) that XV404 was fitted with black intake covers for the official photo shoot. From a couple of angles, I would say that was possible, so I am going with it. I also subscribe to the view that the intake trunking was sprayed black but that will be academic in my case. The Hasegawa intakes are truly awful.

YNWA

5 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I'm pretty sure it IS the periscope, though not mentioned in the instructions. At least I used it as a periscope on my build, and a damn fine periscope it made too!

Enjoying your build enormously ...... love the Spey Phantoms.

Q

Great, thanks! I will press part C21 into immediate service.

Spey Phantoms are the best.

• Like 2

So, here's the thing. I can't decide if the paint is too orange. It is hard to tell from iphone pictures but I think it needs toning down a bit. Looks OK in this picture...

S4Nbp4A.jpg

but not so sure about this one...

gseP0HC.jpg

I think I will take the opportunity to remix the paint and re-do after a coat of white primer. 

Anyhoo, I've started to busy up the kit seats. Quite happy so far, it will be tricky to paint (at least for me).

FkcQSJI.jpg?2

And finally...FOD covers! Yay! My day is complete.

j5AWi80.jpg?1

• Like 1

I have spent an enjoyable amount of time adding straps and gizmos to the seats. For the straps I used aluminium foil sandwich between some Tamiya tape and then cut to width. I thought I would share some photos before it all gets sprayed black. The quick release blocks/thingy was made from a bit of the cannon supplied in the kit and not required for this build. Reuse, repurpose, recycle.

z5oVHj2.jpg

p7AJVeh.jpg

F1MCbzJ.jpg

C1wbroA.jpg

The next time you see these, they will be covered in paint. And only now do I spot that I haven't put the small side straps on the headrest on one of the seats. Doh!

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I have been fitting and firtling along with this build. Cleaning up some stubborn seams and adding some gizmology in the cockpit. However, the only photo I have so far is the fuel dump pipe (?) hanging out the back. Half of it broke off, so I made a new one out of squashed metal tube and a bit of plastic for the vane in the middle. It's close enough for these poor, failing eyes.

22wqA9C.jpg

I have also created a custom mix for the orange paint that I am happy with.

Bang seats are finished, I'll get some pics up in the next few days, laziness permitting.

• Like 4

The FG.1 bits are in quite high demand as they allow someone to convert the Revell (Hasegawa re-pop) FGR.2 into the very hard to find FG.1.

So if you aren't going to do that yourself I would suggest that you could raise a reasonable sum of money on a well known auction site with them. Same goes for the kit decals. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

There's a photo on page 70 of 'British Phantoms' by Key publishing, showing her with the Black intake covers in place (they look to me to edged in a light Grey?).

Looks Grrrrrreat! so far. Enjoying watching your build.

Cheers Bob.

Yes, I think it is foam or something to seal them in. I have my FOD covers painted black and will do the grey edging soon (when I can find my fine paintbrush).

• Like 1

Remember these?

fvdC8YJ.jpg?1

The kit seats OOB and badly painted, are now done and look like this:

RnPfi75.jpg

6ALYkvd.jpg

Z8Cwr5m.jpg

ghHdF5d.jpg

Just to prove I did two...

ueeNPV5.jpg

Also been doing some gizmology in the cockpit. The canopies will be open because they are such a bad fit when closed!

8xi2o0A.jpg

mNyAzql.jpg

Most/all of which disappears with a seat in front of it 

mFdkjeI.jpg

I have now masked everything and my future is orange...

Z5y0Dx3.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gidge said:

Looking good

Thanks! I have now done the first coat of orange. It covered really well but I will give it a rub down and then a second coat to correct a couple of blemishes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 10:50, bobsyouruncle said:

There's a photo on page 70 of 'British Phantoms' by Key publishing, showing her with the Black intake covers in place (they look to me to edged in a light Grey?).

Looks Grrrrrreat! so far. Enjoying watching your build.

Cheers Bob.

The grey was a light grey vinyl material that covered a foam on the outer edge of the intake blank to get a good seal in the intake. (Normal eded up a dirty darkish grey / greenie colour) I was thinking I could achieve this effect with flexible decorators calking in a syringe to get that squashed foam look.

spacer.png

Edited by Tony G
text added
  • Like 1