Supermarine Spitfire & RAF Red Arrows Hawk Gift Set 1:72 Airfix A50187

Julien

Supermarine Spitfire & RAF Red Arrows Hawk Gift Set

1:72 Airfix A50187

spacer.png

It is hard to think of two more Iconic Aircraft to represent the Royal Air Force than the famous Supermarine Spitfire, and the Hawker Siddeley Hawk used by the Red Arrows Aerobatic Team.  Here Airfix have brought these two aircraft together in a "Best of British" boxing complete with paints, glue and paint brushes. The first thing to say about this boxing is that these kits are not full on model kits as you would expect looking at the box. These are simplified model kits. The Spitfire has only 26 parts including its display stand, and the Hawk 24. On seeing this boxing I must admit I was expecting two full sized model kits in the box. Apart from the parts count on the side of the box there is nothing at all which would lead the modeller to thinking otherwise, its only when you look at the contents that you get the idea they are not full kits. There is nothing wrong with the quality of the parts, these all seem to be up to the standards of the new 1.72 Airfix kits I have seen lately. These kits are great in one respect they will act as a bridge between the click together Airfix kits, and full on model kits. They will assemble like kits, but the lower parts count and thought to the engineering will make it a lot easier for the younger modeller. I cant understand why Airfix are not making more of this aspect to encourage younger modellers into the hobby. Now a look at the kits in more detail.

Spitfire

The variant included here is a Mark Vc in markings for Pilot Officer Antoni Glowacki of No, 303 Sqn Based at Northolt in 1942. The kit has 26 parts including the Spitfire shaped display stand if the modeler wants to use this. The model can be built with the undercarriage raised or lowered. First off the two fuselage halves can go together with the tail wheel being moulded onto the left half. At the front the mount for the prop goes on and then the engine cover complete with moulded in exhausts goes on.  The wings can then go together with a single part lower and left/right uppers. The pilots seat fits into the wing and then this is joined to the fuselage. The tailplanes then go on. Under the wings the radiator and oil cooler are fitted. Single part raised gear, or two part lowered gear are then fitted.  The centreline carb intake is fitted. The pilot figure can then go into the seat if you want to use him, following this the aerial mast and single part canopy are fitted. At the front the single part prop and spinner are fitted. If the aircraft is to be mounted on the stand now is the time to do it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hawk

The hawk is the standard Mark 1 as used by the Reds. Here we start in the cockpit, two single part seats are fitted into the main tub and this is fitted into the fuselage, and this is closed up. All bulkheads and instrument panels are built in. Two pilot figures are supplied if the modeller wants to use them. A pair of two part intakes fit to the completed fuselage.  At the rear the tail planes go one. The main wing is a single part upper which the lower parts fits to, this can then be attached to the fusleage. Single part nose and main gear doors are supplied if the modeller wants them closed. For the gear down simplified assemblies are included. The nose gear leg is moulded as one single part with the wheel. For the mains each leg is a single part with a wheel, and then there is a single part with the inner gear doors. The outers being moulded onto the leg. A single part canopy completes the model. If wanted the model can be mounted to the Hawk shaped stand included in the kit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Markings

A small decal sheet from Cartograf provides markings for XX310 from the Red Arrows and Spitfire Mk.Vc AB174 of No, 303 Sqn Based at Northolt in 1942. There shoud be no issues with these.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Conclusion

This is a great set to bridge the gap between click together kits and models for th younger modeller. It a shame Airfix dont champion it as this, and make that clear on the box.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Julien said:

These kits are great in one respect they will act as a bridge between the click together Airfix kits, and full on model kits. They will assemble like kits, but the lower parts count and thought to the engineering will make it a lot easier for the younger modeller. I cant understand why Airfix are not making more of this aspect to encourage younger modellers into the hobby........

It a shame Airfix dont champion it as this, and make that clear on the box.

That’s a very well made point Julien. Having had a look at the photos these kits are ideal for the lower age new to modelling first timer and the sort of thing I would have cut my teeth on in the 1960’s when Airfix series 1 were pretty basic with a similar parts count. 

It looks an obvious way into the hobby and I hope that penny drops with the bean counters at Airfix

• Like 3