Reminiscing on time spent at south station

Nice update as usual Nick :clap2:

Your 'fence' panels are a nice touch...the selective sizes/heights will work well to break things up...just be aware of colour clashes with frontal objects...which will draw the eye to them (the panels)...rather than the more important subjects in front of them.

Agree on underside of tower needing more than just primer...a dark version of the colour above it would be my suggestion...which will indicate fading/weather on the upper/outside colour.

Dare I say it...your sky just looks like a 'blue' screen...not sky!...and does nothing to showcase your hard work.

Sorry if that comment appears blunt.

My personal choice would be a 'stormy' sky...not dark as such...just a little menacing/brooding.

Now is a good time to think about figures...many people forget that these have to blend into the scene...and just paint them as separate entities...which actually makes them stand out like a sore thumb...when subtlety is the real key.

And yes...I look forward to seeing the sniper.

I definitely feel this is progressing in the right direction...but still a long way to go yet mate.

Ron

OK Ron - you're in luck - a coffee infused reply from me!  I am in the midst of updating my section of a report, and checked the forums!  - not a very smart thing to do when trying to meet a deadline!  😁

Yes - your points are excellent.....About that background - it's purpose was to give the cutout a background that would actually contrast with the build  - my plan is not to use just a blue sky for the "real" dio.  And, as actual proof that I'm thinking about all of this, also while out walking around, I lucked out and was able to get a few pics of a much more dramatic sky, which, again while heavily under the influence of coffee, I raced to switch out the over saturated blue of before - take a look:

51467172744_d24e2d31cb_c.jpg

51465678567_020dc65fec_w.jpg

51465678542_428f75a14b_w.jpg

The background will ultimately be determined by the time of the day, weather etc when I take it out for photos -but - that won't be any time too soo I'm afraid - 😁  Although, I must say, the location of the setting sun, in the last photo suggests the dio is about to fall off a very high cliff!! lol

Ok - back to paying the bills!  and thanks for adding to this fun build - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

Nick, the containers make a great background to the tower and vehicles, I like the sky too.

Did you think on the windmills? A couple behind that fence would add more height and break up the sky.

Do we know why the trailer is parked so close to the tower? Are trailer people repairing the tower, or supplying power to it?

If that's been discussed before then I've forgotten the reason!

Maybe I should just wait and see what your next moves will be? :laugh:

• Like 2

Regarding the sky...and your latest version is quite close to what I envisioned...what I would say is this...your comment about it looking like everything falling off a cliff top is spot on.

For it to work...you have to have an 'horizon' to tie it all together...and to 'ground' it...so to speak.

I would suggest some low hills in the lower third of the backdrop...which you could easily introduce using software...a misty/blurred effect would stop them from drawing the viewers attention.

Off back to my cupboard now.

• Like 2

Well guys, this, like last week, I was mainly focused on real work this week - so, could only do a bit of work - but, I did move ahead.  You might remember the solar panels from earlier postings?  Well, I decided now was time to build them, considering they will essentially be part of the background and overall ambience.  First up, the prototype and my version:

51486699132_f48b84187a_h.jpg

The prototype is on the left - and I really like the look, though I don't think it's a McQue design - anyway, seems to be the right element for this project.  On the right some WIP images.  The panels are made from cutting up a DVD, attached to an alu frame I cut out - the front side has the yellow tape, and the back - the back of the DVD.  Column is alu, brass, some stiff wire, mesh, etc etc - and below, with some paint:

51488195464_f1d2efda67_h.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality photos - its been foggy here, so the skylights seem to offer ambient rather than their normal bright light!  Anyway, you can see the DVD play side, on the viewer facing side, with some more mesh added - without it, they just didn't look finished - the back is painted with Vallejo Metal magnesium and look better/more discernable in real life.  Next to the half-track for scale.  Then on to where they might go.  My first plan was not good:

51488195449_f0e58a821e_h.jpg

They started as a pair, along the fence (left picture) - but, I don't like them together - essentially too predictable and frankly, a bit dull.  So, I came up with an alternative location, with them separated, as shown in the pic on the right.  I think this is more interesting and adds depth.  A closer view:

51488414360_511aa5bf51_b.jpg

This is the preferred location, which provides/adds to, the visual depth of the layout.  I'll bet these will look pretty interesting when photographed outside!  

While I was futzing around with these, I thought more about the relationship of the trailer and tower and made a subtle change:

51488195434_02d403a988_c.jpg

The top version is where I thought the two might go, but I decided it didn't look right, so canted the tower slightly, closer to parallel with the base.  This results in a bit more interest and variety to the skyline.  

While I was at it, refined my thinking about what might go where on the rest of the ground:

51487705408_5f32c84ee2_b.jpg

You can see above (in a slightly out of focus fuzzy image!!) two primary people places - that overlap a bit - the work area is focused on the deck, which is the door to the shop, and to the right, a place for people to gather, under the awning above.  In the foreground the general profile of a berm that will be added later.  And another view:

51486699042_bd118588c4_b.jpg

A ground level view above - the berm (not yet made) in the foreground makes something of an amphitheater around the canopy/main "attraction".

OK gents, that's it for today - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

Hi Nick,

and first off...really like the solar panels...look just right to me...my only suggestion (you know me mate)...I would add a control/power box to the main support post...roughly two thirds of the way down...existing cable entering it from the top...then have the cable exiting from the bottom...and...extending away to a power source...just run the cable along the ground and lose it.

Personally...I would keep both of them together at the back...I find the one at the front disruptive to the visual plane...but that's just me.

Without a physical berm...it's difficult to grasp the concept...from a viewers perspective...obviously...you have the advantage in that respect...so will reserve judgement on that.

The placement you indicate would work...but also depends on the height you intend.

Your proposed grouping of vehicles and figures is a little 'tight' to my eye but...again...until they appear...it's hard to quantify my comment on such.

At first glance...it appears a touch 'flat'...by that I am referring to having 90% of the subjects along the back...which makes it look like the ones at the front were an 'after thought'.

Canting the tower was a good idea...and looks better for it.

Think I had better leave it there...before I get banned from the thread for disruptive input.

Ron

• Like 2

@Uncle Monty, thanks for dropping by!  Yes, Ian McQue's work is really interesting - as this is based on the concept of his work, rather than a specific project, getting the colors right has been a real challenge - along with designing something that looks right!  

@silver911, well Ron, as always.....hmmm? 🤨 you raise several interesting points - a guy will need to think about placing those solar panels.   You might be right about (not) pulling one forward - might not get the results I'm looking for. 

As to the berm, for better or worse, you'll likely see the results in a few days - grading and earthwork is underway!  My thinking is that as this is a wide and tall dio, taking ground level pictures in the immediate foreground (without the berm) might not show as much as I'd like.  In fact, the limited view of "typical" ground level photos might not show too much.  I don't like to take photos that seem to be hovering, or taken from a drone!   By adding the change in elevation, it will allow "ground level" photos to occur about 12 scale feet (plus viewer height) above the "ground" - which means, instead of just holding the camera above the horizon line (suggesting the viewer is standing on a ladder), I can now provide an elevated view that is actually "on the ground", or seems to be. Wow - lots of word contortions there! I hope it works! and that this text makes some sense.

Regarding vehicle placement - still to be determined.  The bigger take away could be the diagram showing activity areas - both will ultimately be partially shaded by the sun screen canopy and include figures, chairs, tables etc, close to the "station" and vehicle parking between the new berm and main structure, surrounding this activity area.  

OK, on we go - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

Still looking good. If the (impressive) solar towers go back to the rear, what about a ground level satellite dish at the front?

You're building a berm, yet I looked at the latest pics and thought the rest is a bit flat. A small rise under the Toyota maybe?

So it's parked but tilted to one side, away from the front?

I do like that dramatic sky, BTW. Very atmospheric.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Still looking good. If the (impressive) solar towers go back to the rear, what about a ground level satellite dish at the front?

You're building a berm, yet I looked at the latest pics and thought the rest is a bit flat. A small rise under the Toyota maybe?

So it's parked but tilted to one side, away from the front?

I do like that dramatic sky, BTW. Very atmospheric.

Good suggestions Pete :)

Ron

• Thanks 1

Well, a guy is going to try and post this again!  And, as I attempted to post last night, will show some progress, starting with grading and earthwork:

51504851687_4e21ecb5be_h.jpg

Success!! it posted!  Now, back to business - you'll see above, a road, berm, and mound added - and, some long infrastructure.  And some ground level:

51505882058_d4c6d977f5_b.jpg

As you can see, rigid foam insulation and cork used to get this moving, with some lightweight putty added to the pink foam to even out the surface a bit.  If you don't add the putty, cut marks and unwanted divots - which don't look good if not treated.   

51504851637_ef2fa0268a_b.jpg

And, an homage to that light switch!!  It ruins more pics than I'd care to count!  you might also notice how the berm works to define a foreground and, the long route pipe bank (going deep into the junk box from model RR days!).  As Ron noted, this dio is (intentionally) weighted heavily toward the back.  I did this because I want a deep foreground, to provide a stage for the tall structures.  This will hopefully make more sense as we go:

51505655626_0dfd01245b_c.jpg

This dio base is really wide, and hopefully I'll eventually be able to get some long views looking left right - rather than only front to back.  The topo, pipelines, and road are intended to help define depth - via a bit of forced perspective - all three of these elements come closer together, tightening up the horizon - or so I hope!

51506370889_3131458b5d_b.jpg

Aside from the light switch and door jamb....well, you can see the fore- and background elements.  The back-, solid to hold things in, and the fore- to make a visual threshold - you are crossing this to get in -

Now - lets talk about the canopy. Below are a few photo-illustrations of what it might look like.  It's hard to tell, but if you look carefully, you'll see I've temporarily attached and braced the out riggers, and "hung" a digital canopy: 

51505655601_439aac887e_h.jpg

51504851597_c43f205eb9_c.jpg

51504851592_756f8d9535_c.jpg

Despite the clunky simulation, I hope you can all see the intent of this.  I mentioned the berms as part of an amphitheater-like setting, and hope that makes sense now.  People will be gathered under and around the center stage, the area under the canopy!

Now, back to grading and earthwork.  The plan is, the berm will get covered in tall grasses and the flat area, barren - just crushed rock and scrubby weeds.  To get the look I'm after, I'm using pumice gel on the flat areas.  it's crushed pumice with an acrylic medium used like glue to hold it down and together - please see:

51505881973_eb84bf5bed_h.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see the texture this material provides, but it's the size and scale I'm looking for.  I want it too look like a relatively flat, high desert floor.  Once it's painted etc, I'll add real rock and sand.  In the meantime, I'll add a bit more here and there.

51504851577_cc971cdda9_b.jpg

And with some context - It's getting there.  I am liking the light shade of the base (versus dark brown).  I'll first paint this with a medium brown primer, then go over with a lighter ground cover/earth colors.  The darker base color works well in creating shadows and diminishes the need for a heavy, uniform top color - instead the top will likely be made of several dustings of various ground color shades.  Adding real rock and sand will help tie it all together.

51507141092_bceae4c2d5_h.jpg

Above are intended to show the long view perspective.  

And finally, about the solar panels - I'm thinking less is more in this case:

51504851657_701656d903_b.jpg

Despite the poor, dark, and fuzzy image....I hope you will notice only one solar tower - I think this works better visually - using two looks forced and cramped.  The idea is that the center right is visually dense, center left, less so.  You can also see a hierarchy in height, with the tallest tower on the right, with an imaginary line descending evenly to the left - tower to tower, to wind vane, to solar tower.

OK, there you have it!  Back to the workbench - have a good day- 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 5

Progressing nicely...especially like the pipes running along the berm...neat touch.

As far as the solar panels...I am inclined to disagree with only using one...simply because...with all that activity going on...the need for power would be large...and one wouldn't cover it.

That's a viewers interpretation...not a criticism...and what works for you is fine by me mate.

This will certainly present you with some photographic challenges...which I know you will enjoy.

This update gives a much clearer view of what is going on in your head.

Ron

• Like 2

HI guys,

I'm making slow progress on the base. hmmm....the solar panels, well, Ron, I just don't know yet - you raise a good point.  My only counterpoint would be more of a graphic point of view than practical - it might look better with only one - I'm not sure yet though.  Your observation made me think about vehicle placement.  So far the halftrack has been conceptually located near the trailer tongue, which cramped the space available for the solar panels.  I tried moving the recovery vehicle over there, and the halftrack more into the foreground - this allows the viewer to see more of the halftrack and opens up some space for the solar panel....still pondering this tho.

In the meantime, I made some headway on the ground plane - first, painted it with primer:

51533133077_41413f1980_h.jpg

As you can see - most of the base is now primed and waiting for more colors - starting with the pipes:

51533133057_64e1648767_h.jpg

As you can see in the lower left, I taped off areas I don't want yellow and fired up the airbrush, with good results, and only tiny overspray, which I will paint over - and, as obliged, some rust and weather:

51534856245_b9e8100782_h.jpg

And pretty good results - we're getting there.  I'm waiting for some paint for the asphalt area.  I want to put it down first so that any overspray from the ground will just look like dust and dirt blown across the roadway.  I still need to paint the two concrete footings for the pipeline in the low area, but that will go pretty fast.  I've assembled and primed some figures, so if the paint doesn't show up soon, I'll get to them.  I've been painting various odds and ends/junk/debris etc which I don't need just yet.  I've also been moving along with the canopy - I attached but have not "rigged and placed" the outriggers, and now have some sail cloth, used for making model sailboats for the canopy - still experimenting with it.  And.. of course...the remarkably tedious task of making grasses for the berm....I have the grass, the glue, and have done this before - but....it's a really tedious job of making the grass clumps....so, I'll try and push that off longer!!

OK, take care gents -

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 3

Another fine update Nick.

Raised pipework looks natural in it's placement and finish...and the pic of the utility in front of it looks realistic and believable.

Now...here are a couple of ideas for you regarding layout/placement of vehicles and the tower...and how to maximise their impact on the scene as a whole...( I get your thinking on having a classic L to R and R to L) rise and fall...however.....

(Keep in mind that nothing has been fixed in place yet)

1)   Have the tower central as opposed to on the left or right of the scene...this will seem odd at first...it goes against the 'accepted' rules...but rules are constraints on creative thinking in my book.

2)   With the tower central...you have changed the focal point and overall perspective...and also the 'balance'...which you can now use the trailer and half track to redress...but also link back to the tower in their placement.

An obvious example being to have the trailer on the left (as you look at the scene)...with the half track on the right hand side of the tower...which allows you to 'park' it...nose in or out...so to speak...(my choice would be nose in...towards the back of the scene).

3)   In doing the above...what you have done is to create a wider 'focal point' for the viewer...and taken away the 'exit stage right' kind of instruction to the viewers eye...which can now roam freely over the scene.

4)   This now gives you some room to manouever with the other elements...and also link them to the frontal area...to take advantage of the pipework and berm.

5)   You also now have a good 'counterpoint' in placing the solar panels (one or both) at either rear corner.

As ever...feel  free to disagree.

Ron

• Like 2

I knew I could count on you guys to keep the ideas coming! 😅

And, as always Ron, you have provided me with plenty to consider, and consider a guy did:

51540282268_9821baa786_c.jpg

As always, how about a quick test?  Above, the first version - with two solar towers - something is different about them too - I cut about 1/2" out of one tower's height - and...you can't tell! lol - but, to the business at hand.  The top image before, and the bottom image, after moving the tower toward the center.  Some interesting results - obviously, the focal point is now centered - but, more interestingly, more room is freed up on the right - compare the size of the two red ovals.  In scale terms, that is a lot of room - that was getting pretty compressed - which led to this:

51540282238_ed9fe177db_c.jpg

I pushed the broken down truck and debris to the back, rather than the side - which resulted in more free space.  Version one has the half track there, and version two, the half-cab recovery.  I like the half cab there as it removes a lot of foreground clutter.  So, still plenty to ponder regarding vehicle placement.  But, the first problem involves "just" moving the tower.   Not quite as easy as that:

51540759389_8cddf4b54c_b.jpg

As you can see above - the first image is showing the tower moved to the left - notice it isn't sitting flush on the base?? of course it isn't, as I cleverly bound the footprint with cork roadbed, and pumice gel ground plane.  In the second image, you can see where the new edge of the tower will go - the red dashed line, which marks the outside edge of the base - while the other side, well into the asphalt etc.  As I was curious, photo three shows a test cut into the asphalt, and to my surprise, less awful than I imagined.  The glue I used for the cork is carpenters glue and usually not too forgiving, but, for whatever reason, it "let go of" the base pretty easily.  And finally, a shot regarding if it would be worth it to move or not:

51540036126_e92b0a5d4b_c.jpg

And, I think it might be.  Though clearly not what I was planning to do, it might just look and work better - if for no other reason than to free up some space on the right side.  And, remember, there is a backdrop/fence just not shown here.

I still don't have a "real" solution for the solar panels or vehicle placement for that matter, but this shift is certainly interesting, and I might just do it!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

Pleased you and Pete think the relocation has merit Nick...personally...I feel it opens up the composition...easier for the viewer to take it all in.

What I would suggest...before you finalise anything...get the figures assembled/primed...and introduce them into the layout.

Many people...who are not figure orientated...forget how disruptive figures can be when just introduced as a last element.

One key factor to consider with figures in any scene where they are not the primary focus...it is important that they tell a story...have a purpose...of their own.

In this regard...the 'pose' is important...with the figures line of sight being critical...which is to say...the figures 'interaction' with their immediate surroundings is the key to it's positioning.

This is something you achieved very well with the F1 shop...so I am sure you know what I am saying.

Right...enough of my rambling...crack on mate :)

Ron

• Like 2

whoa, whoa, whoa -slow down, you move too fast!!  😄 Ron - you're many steps ahead of me! I'm still putzing around with how much room I have and what color to paint the ground!  I do tho, enjoy figure work, but I'm not that great at painting them - they are tho, already assembled and primed - just not up to bat yet!  

In the meantime, I thought now would be a good time to get us back to the storyline - 

51222947192_b486ed906f_b.jpg

Ahh - the good life - alas, the old train station, the rollicking downtown!  optimism....the gal of my dreams.....and change - the once thriving boomtown, became home to something else:

51224421594_e6e783b010_h.jpg

Looks like the good 'ol boom town is no more - and we were no longer living in the heart of town - in fact, south station was pretty much in the middle of nowhere:

51543628286_36e87fba06_b.jpg

Not much nearby - hence the most efficient way to patrol the regional sectors were the WASPs at Wasp Station 5:

51543628291_c475306583_b.jpg

Thanks to satellite imaging (and an upstairs balcony!), we could see our "home away from home"  from above, or most of it, as the crew lived down the hill, near the stream and pond.....the station tho was pretty modest.  The general shade/color of the ground is still to come, as is vegetation etc - it's only primer now, and will be lightened as we move ahead, whether I keep fooling around with these aerial images or not.  I like the results of the pumice gel for the ground cover, as it looks about right for the setting -

51544556790_8fa18a0637_c.jpg

Maybe even bleak....Those darned satellite photos!  they make it look like the terrain is rolling, and has some trees!.....😄🤨....doesn't seem to be rolling as much in the ground views....🤨 😄

51543874238_580be3f15a_b.jpg

51543628321_8cc8525e43_b.jpg

And here we are - you can see the yet to be "officially" relocated tower, temporarily placed, and some more graphic fun with the big canopy. 

As this unfolds, I'm planning to have several figures: on the flight deck; in the shop; under the canopy; and, under and on the tower.  It won't be as frenetic as it sounds!  People will be where they are for reasons that will (should) make sense when we're there 😏😄 

In the meantime, grading, earthwork and infrastructure seems to still have a way to go!  What you can't see here is I placed the other solar panel to the right of the tower - not bad - of course if fell over and I didn't notice while taking these pics!!

Cheers gents!

Nick 

• Like 7

Those aerial shots are a very clever way of viewing and trialing the layout Nick...nice one 👍

Texture of groundwork looks to be bang on too.

Now...and this is a purely personal opinion...again based on my figure days...however...the reasoning still applies here...my issue being the 'canopy'!

You have often heard me talk about the 'balance' of a scene/setting...and that certain elements become disruptive...well............

Don't get me wrong...I love the idea of it...however...it's the problem of it becoming the 'focal' point that concerns me most of all.

To be fair...the chosen colour will...to a large part...control that aspect...although that alone will not prevent the isue of locking the viewers eye to that point in the overall scene.

So...the soloution is.............ignore me...I'm going to get back in my cupboard in the corner now.

• Like 1