Reminiscing on time spent at south station

Well guys, still moving forward.  I went ahead and added the outriggers - and Pete, yes, the plan is to drape a canvas from them to make a big shade structure - take a look:

51342072949_b8dffde4ee_b.jpg

We'll start with the outriggers - one (so far) mounted on each side - as you can see they are movable!   There's a brass eye bolt on the end of each, fit into an anchor on the tower.  Then, there's a rigging system on each boom.  Pulleys on the inside, and "D" rings attached to eyebolts on the outside (to hold the canopy).  You'll also see I made up a little ground level deck with stairs, spot light (scratched), big brass bell, and a beacon on top!

51341553943_e014015d25_b.jpg

Above, you'll see a spotlight - which is made of remnant resin parts and styrene.  And on to the tree for the outriggers, I had a resin winch and a few pulleys, all used to make up a system for raising and lowering the outriggers.

51341553933_b2bd1d3768_h.jpg

All sorts of good times going on here!  Added a non-slip surface to the deck, which is about done - I'll add some bolt heads.  And in the middle, the spotlght, and rigging on the tree - I like both.  Finally, on the right, you can see a big brass ship's bell!  at least it wil be with some paint!  

And, Ron, yes, those little clamps - I was just being lazy -didn't feel like dealing with them!   Funny you mention F1, as cars usually wind up with a few of those clamps!  

I've been pondering paint  - - I might force myself to take a few of these parts to the paint shop - just to start a color palette.  I like building a lot more than painting!

OK, take care!

Nick 

• Like 5

Right...well that's a whole world of difference Nick...all looks and works perfectly to my eyes...great job.

I especially like the deck at the workshop opening...interested on how that would be stored when travelling.

Certainly nothing more I can offer at this stage mate...that alone should please you!

Ron

• Like 1

Well, this is weird - I just posted about an hour ago - and, no post is showing up?  hmm?  wonder what happended?  Oh well, let's try again! 

@silver911, hi Ron, thanks!  I'm sure you'll have more to say, as this has a long way to go!  Speaking of you, I thought about you over the weekend, when I saw a TV show about moving big strucutres, which so impressed me, that I went on line and found some matching images:

51353318866_43d80cf518_h.jpg

Well this must be a stressful job!  that's top heavy!  These are grain elevators being relocated in Canada - wow - They said the trailer needs to be readjusted if the tower becomes 9 degrees off-plumb!

On we go - hooray!  The circus is in town!

51352580352_ca81c7815a_h.jpg

Colors!  Loud colors!! 😀  I'm breaking one of my self imposed rules here, posting pre weather - can become the subject of all sorts of colorful discussion!  But, you gents have seen the good and bad already, so, no reason to not share!

And, with the appropriate rust and decrepitude:

51352580342_71aa8c0330_h.jpg

ahh...that's better -and, the big truck - with some color:

51354341000_764a51498c_h.jpg

Note - some of these pics have weather and some don't but, the tires are now not shiny!  

51353318831_bbab333321_h.jpg

The tracks and bogeys still need some dust and grime - and back to the tower:

51352580312_aec6e1f74e_h.jpg

As you can see, I'm painting and weathering in modules - I'm still adding bits to the tower!  Added another outrigger and rigging near the opeing, and another spotlight.  

OK - as I already did this once, no more text!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 6

Yes...I have seen a few of those episodes over here...fascinating...but as you say...incredibly stressful job.

I get why you flagged it up...however...at an average speed of 3 kph...your guys wouldn't get very far on a patrol 🤣

Nice to see some colour appearing :)

If I may...one of the tricks to painting any subject...be it figure or vehicle etc. ...is to factor in the immediate environment to your finishes.

In your particular case...you are looking at an arid environment...dusty/windblown...with sand and small pebbles being carried on the wind...which in turn leads to a kind of natural 'sand blasting' of vehicles/structures.

This in itself would indicate...rather than smooth wear...edges and surface finishes would be rough in nature...chipped rather than evenly worn away.

Rust is also different in arid climates...in as much as it's generally smoother...due in the main to there being a lot less moisture in the air...so the usual 'bubbling' is far less prevalent.

Another often overlooked aspect is spillages...fuel/oil/water etc.

In a humid climate these will remain wetter (glossier) for longer...whereas...in an arid climate they will dry out to a matt finish much quicker...become a stain...as opposed to a puddle...so to speak.

I mention these factors...simply because...I know a lot of people forget such a simple consideration when painting a given scene...and I personally add such factors to enhance the whole aspect of a subjects presentation.

Of course...if you already knew this...feel free to ignore my ramblings 😉

Look forward to next thrilling installment.

Ron

• Like 3

That's two great updates form you. Outstanding stuff, I'm really impressed.

Great colours and weathering. And it looks like you're enjoying yourself adding bits and pieces here and there.

The truck looks good in paint and decals too. Does it need panels over the tracks to act as fenders?

Some wise weathering words from @silver911 too. Like it.

• Like 2

Well guys, @silver911 is keeping me honest!  Thank goodness I have an ample supply of time and coffee right now!  My biggest real work project won't ramp up for a couple of weeks - dealing with contracting/insurance etc right now, which is time consuming in its own right, but, still leaves me time to ponder this - and just like our discussion about what this object might actually look like, the same sort of quesitons about finish is at our doorstep.  

First, considering Ron's observations about arid finish - on one hand I agree, but on another have some questions, and a slightly different outlook.  To start of course, some more pictures.  As you all have no doubt figured out, I post in these grouping of images to reduce the number of photos to be loaded individually to Flickr then to here.

51358776680_159e22e3f5_b.jpg

These are WIP images of a project I built some time ago, and they serve as a good physical reference for me.  This however, is not exactly what I want to do.  It is also intended to be in an arid setting (sorry about the WIP photos, featuring bright and lush landscape in the background!), an abandoned building.  My process was about the same, except, as an abandoned building, there was a lot more room for complete decrepitude.  Eventually, lots more debris was added everywhere - which took forever to install!!  But, some of the attributes are what I am hoping to achieve - specifically fading of big walls, and wear/rust on edges.  But this is more neglect than I want to show (the final of this has a lot more debris and decrepitude than shown here). 

You can see two images featuring bright and shiny walls and the rest reflecitng several layers of weather.  The fundamental point raised though made me think about just what the weathering for this project should look like. 

So, another image study:

51357764376_8faa9198d6_h.jpg

And above, three sets of images to consider.  On the far left, what Ron noted - metal objects in the desert suffering the fate of years of neglect and harsh weather.  While quite interesting, and certainly colorful, not what I am looking to achieve for this project, and closer to what I posted above. 

Some McQue images are in the center column.  His techinque is certainly interesting - there is an ample amount of rust/etc, but also some saturated color in key places, and interesting bright bursts of color here and there.  There is also a whimsical quality about them (both the vessel and context), with vehicles effortlessly floating about.  Another attribute fo these images is how he fades the background back, and has a more clear focus on the object. I'm still pondering how to do this with a dio and limited skills with visual technoology - but I have some ideas simmering.

The column on the far right feature an abandonded motel in a place called California City.  This is an odd place to say the least, which I visited years ago while still in college!  Only a few hours drive from my uni, inland on California's central coast.  A friend from my studio and I hopped into my truck and went to find what was intended to be a new large city - and saw a scene similar to these photos.  Among many other prooblems (remoteness!) there is a distinct lack of water - a big deal here!  All of that said, I like the faded rather than dematerialized look of the finishes on this motel.  It's clearly suffering the fate of time, but not yet into the stage of rampant decrepitude.  I like how the light blue is gradually fading to white (hand rail in upper image), how letters are flaking off the sign, and the pavement discoloration and weeds.  I'm planing to take the project in this direction.  

Which brings us to the big truck:

51358497954_489bdd61de_h.jpg

I knew I shouldn't have posted unitl I was closeer to being wrapped up with paint!  In the upper left, is my truck.  

I follow a simialr weathering process on various builds.  The first layer of weather is selective exposure of primer - in places that get lots of foot traffic, where metal on metal connections might occur, and the errant scrape that would come from use.  Then a dark wash around bolt heads, joints etc is added.  Followed by the first wash of Life Color Dust 1 (which I love and use a lot of!), then drybrushing white onto big surface, like the hood curves and roof, then an enamel wash onto the same bolts, depressions, seams etc, and another wash of the Life Color dust.  In my version of this truck, I'm assuming the paint has been scraped/rubbed off here and there, but not that many places where it would expose bare metal. There needs to be a lot of dust, and I will add more to even out and blend the look of the oxidation and fade on the hood.   I made a mistake painting these tires, using the wrong shade!  I usally use NATO black - which is a flat finish, and I have washed these tires several times to knock these back.  They're getting there.

I don't see this truck as a rust bucket, but can imagine it quite dusty and selectively grimy. 

You can see my basic intent from the refernce image in the upper right, on the real M1070.  Clealry plenty of dust (shows more over NATO camo than my light blue), but not that many scrapes and dents - and, the tires are dusty, but still clearly black. 

The comic in the center comes from a US Army monthly journal that covers various issues regarding maintenance - and if you look carefully to the right of the woman is none other than an M1070!  and the subject is RUST!   The paint on these trucks is called CARC (chemical agent resistant coating) which can scrape off, but seems to be fairly tough, exposing primer (dk grey/black), and if hit really hard, bare metal which of course will rust. 

The pic in the lower left - I don't think it's by McQue, though it is characteristically similar to his work and a good refernce image.  You see weather, but not decrepitude.  The pic on the lower right is the M1000 trailer, with a heavy coat of dust, which mine will also get.

Lots of words today - I'm still painting away tho -  as noted, more dust to the big truck and have started on painting the tow truck.  One of these days I'll have to set up a dio base.  Maybe this week? don't know yet.....

OK gents, happy model building, and thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas - they all help me with refining this!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

Hi Nick,

Great peek into your mindset for this project regards the painting and weathering...and you certainly have all the bases covered.

Couldn't grasp what question's you were asking though.

Only point I would offer...working with de-saturated/muted colours will allow you to add splashes of richer tones more effectively...and prevent such from being overblown...and drawing your eye to just those areas.

In case you are not sure how to do this...adding a little pale grey to your mix will achieve this...and is far more neutral than using white as many would do.

You can also use this trick to tone down a vibrant colour...such as red or yellow.

Regards an out of focus background for any dio...your only real option is to use a 'printed' one...suitably edited in Photoshop or the like...which I know you don't have...but I do.

A very enjoyable update :)

Ron

• Like 1

It is an enjoyable update. I agree. It's good to know that your palette of ideas is vibrant and based on real examples from your research.

Primer and dust, great. I'll second Ron's pale grey suggestion too. Though we will probably allow you to use pale gray instead. :laugh:

• Haha 1

Oh boy - this thread drifts!  Living and working in the location I do, the acronym ESL (English as a second language) is more common than you might think, particularly in business, as colleagues and clients can represent all parts of the world.  And you sometimes need to be careful with word choice and spelling.  Which in this context, led me to look this up:  

51362379735_8b76ae9629_h.jpg

@Pete in Lincs, Apparently, at least two shades exist!  😁, and by the way, while doing this I figured out how to make the spell checker work on this site!

and, @silver911, well Ron, I wish we'd have had this talk about a week earlier.  I never tried using grey/gray (😁) to adjust the tone of primary colors, like red!  To your point, I've avoided using white, because I don't want the end result to look pink.  So, a case study in how not to knock back a strong primary color, like, red, and less so, yellow:

51362378850_7f21bfa2a3_b.jpg

A family of before and after images - the top photos sure look like race day!  Bright, shiny and bright and shiny...not ideal for this project (too bad not an F1, where I struggle to get a clear coat that looks this bright!).  Not having Ron and Pete's knowledge of color mixing, I went about knocking the color back via adding several light layers of color over the base.  The obvious risk with this approach is that if you add enough layers, well, there's not much left of the base color - not my goal.  As before, several washes of Life Color Dust Type 1, just to tone it down.  Then several air brush applied light dustings of Camo Grey/Gray (😁).  And below, so you can actually see the result:

51361370191_3fa6eb1454_h.jpg

Unlike the big truck, I want this to reflect a significantly different vintage, something that has been around for a long while and seen some hard use.  In addition to basic weathering, toning the two primary colors down was a challenge - it really wanted to stay bright!  To those of you with "eagle eyes" (Ron) you'll see I pulled out the "cable" I had on the rigging before (not a pleasant task), which in my opinion was too thin, and replaced it with something larger in diameter and with more texture.  Next, you'll see I relocated the spare tire (tyre?? 😁) to the rear frame, and added some storage to the roof rack - fuel/water containers, tool boxes, etc.  Also added some spotlights to the roof rack.  

@silver911, and @Pete in Lincs, to my poorly articulated question - which in reality is somewhere between rhetorical and existential.  It has to do with how to go about achieving an overall look, that is not well defined, but will be clear when you see it, and equally clear if it's not right.  Unlike a particular race car or military vehicle, there is not a color and finish chart to follow for this project.  The colors and finishes need to stand on their own, as above, but also need to work in eventual context, which will be a diorama - which of course is based on the work of a conceptual artist!  Ultimately, like the autoshop dio, my final pictures will be taken outside - I love the bright sunlight on a build.  Actual sunlight allows colors, material, finishes, shadows and directly "lit" places and objects to pop. The colors and finishes need to look good inside and outside, with the latter shining the proverbial "light" on flaws, like it or not!  I was about to keep rambling about this, but who really likes free word association, diatribe-esque text on how to achieve a poorly defined look?? not me - so, back to the bench I go.  Half-cab will be painted next.

Happy weekend gents,

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

Ok...so we can all agree that the spelling of grey/gray doesn't matter in the least...and personally...having worked with colour all my life...I have never known it other than 'grey'...but who gives a toss!

In a strict sense...if you wish to de-saturate any colour...you would use it's 'complimentary'...i.e. for red you would use green...and vice versa...problem with that being...what red with what green etc.

This is why I suggested using a pale grey which...again...leads you to ask which grey for which colour...and on and on............

Personally...I use a 'warm' grey for primary colours...and a cold grey for darker one's.

Just as an aside...if you ever want a vibrant/toxic green...mix a cadmium yellow with a very tiny spot of any strong black 😉

Right...back to the serious stuff.....

In your final picture of the tow truck...two things jump out...the decals need toning down...too clean/bright...and some chipping to the edges would work IMHO.

Secondly...the tyres look way too black.
By this I don't mean they aren't dusty enough...my point being...in today's world we have adopted the practice of re-blacking car tyres when we wash our cars...indeed...it's part of the process when hand car washing places provide the labour.

If this re-blacking is not done...over time...tyres fade to a dried out brownish grey...and certainly...in an arid climate...this would happen even quicker.

Apart from my above observations...you're modifications/additions work perfectly to my eye Nick :)

Ron

• Like 1

'You say Tomayto and I say Tomahto' been around for a long time. The question has been on here a few times and the general opinion is, 

use whichever you're more familiar and comfortable with. Same with tyres or tires etc etc. Churchill? said, Two countries, separated by a common language.

I'm far from being a colour expert but that looks far better to me. I agree about the tyres and decals. I feel the decals need to look more hand painted?

Does it need two vertical push bars on the front as on American Police cars? Or, an Aussie style 'Roo' bar?

• Like 1

Hello model builders,

Yes, about the decals -I forgot to add them until I had already weathered the build - perfect.  Over the weekend I roughed them up, and repainted the tires, using Anthracite grey, and Barley gray:

Which I'd be pleased to post, but for whatever reason they are refusing to show!  That's weird - nothing different than before - I'll do a few tests and see what we get:

51367813383_6e8967cb04_h.jpg

51368328504_384d27e32f_b.jpg

51368602450_7bce53e62c_b.jpg

And, now they post...ok - weird.....????🤨  @Pete in Lincs  - just saw your post - and here they are again - I reloaded each!

It looks better though - I'm hoping the images magically appear!  😁  and they did decide to appear!   As for comments, unlike decals used on F1 cars, these decals are not fragile!!  it took a fair amount of work just to rough them up!  I didn't want to destroy them, but tried hard!  Used: knife, sanding sticks, sheet of brass to scrape, and then, added weather!  

I've just about finished painting the half cab and am starting paint on WASP #1

Take care

Nick 

Edited by Stickframe
  • Like 4

Hello guys,

We have a fun update today!  I built and finished one WASP, and weathered the half cab - and, begun experimenting with background sky!  The latter is the big news - just learning how to use various software apps - so far so, good, all of which will help with the real dio!   To start, I'm comparing pre and post weathered versions of the WASP - take a look:

51374587826_743090515b_b.jpg

A clean WASP!

51374818688_d5bfc755f0_b.jpg

A dirty WASP!    As for the sky, while on one of my walks, I took some pictures of the sky!  Some bright blue, some cloudy - but I can't believe how well this worked!  A few more, clean and dirty:

51375594870_9c61f8643e_b.jpg

51374587806_39b5ac1753_b.jpg

Again, I'm somewhat shocked by how well this worked out - both the WASP and the sky!

And, the halfcab, with and without the WASP:

51374818668_a8965a86d5_b.jpg

The basic version above, and with the WASP and some just-ok background below:

51373828032_60b0aa13ec_b.jpg

51374818658_123e565a03_b.jpg

51374818643_0b045d6f89_b.jpg

I found a stock image of desert sky - useful for learning how to do this, but the real dio will rely more on the open sky!

Now, back to painting the tower!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 7

I'll second that. Great sky pictures and the half cab scenes look so smart! I like the wasps too. Didn't you do well!

Would the half cab need lights on the front and one or two work/landing lights pointed at the deck?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'll second that. Great sky pictures and the half cab scenes look so smart! I like the wasps too. Didn't you do well!

Would the half cab need lights on the front and one or two work/landing lights pointed at the deck?

Great idea about the lights Pete 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Seems to be the norm with this build - trying new things to see what might happen.  Pete - yes, the extra lights are a good idea.  The truck has two headlights, mounted on the cab, but they are hard to see in these pics - adding extras makes sense!  

Today I primed the trailer, and spent more time fooling around with making convincing backdrops - take a look:

51376796083_1e3f00c938_b.jpg

I saw this sunset last night - and tried to use it today.  Last time, this had a big blue sky, so I added some drama.  I like what it looks like, except, if the sun is setting behind the building, well, wouldn't the front be in shade....????🤨  You'll also notice a few irregularities in the images of the half cab - incorrect perspective in the last one, and some strange relationship conditions with the ground plane.  Not major problems per se, but things to be aware of as we move forward.  So, try another - this was a fun build I never finished - I gave up!  It's big, but has the problem that the three streets that cross it, all have an open ends - which I couldn't figure out how to resolve:

51376796073_3c3658fc2f_b.jpg

But, with only a few minutes of searching, my street now goes on into the distance.  Sort of - If I were seriously doing this, I'd search through more options to find something more suitable, or even walk around and take my own photos .  The next two - well, the final photos have lush, over scaled green landscape behind, which I never liked - not anymore:

51375799612_f63643dc17_z.jpg

51376796048_00cb86f9df.jpg

A key lesson learned here is that while clearly defined backgrounds, ideally a solid color that does not match the project colors can be erased pretty easily - a more dense but irregular background it much harder to "erase".  As you can see in the two above, the lines of objects are choppy - and while they both look better than the original images, they are hardly crisp images.  I'll apparently still need to be careful about how I shoot the current project and the background conditions, but time is on my side.  In any event, this has been a fun and interesting exercise! 

Thanks for having a look -

Nick 

Edited by Stickframe
  • Like 5

Hi Nick,

the choppy lines are referred to as 'bit-mapping' (stepping)...it's the software looking for an easy route around the object you are cutting out.

Look for an option that allows you to choose 'anti-aliasing' when selecting the object you want to cut out...it will improve the edges dramatically...if it has the option...choose 'feather' edges...trying different levels for best results.

As you have noticed...a dark solid background is much easier to remove than a picture...which is why the film industry uses blue and green screens when adding backgrounds to scenes shot indoors...which need to have outdoors backgrounds.

When adding a cut out to a background picture...make sure both images have the same 'resolution'...e.g. 72 lpi/dpi...and check the perspective of both images...and also look for shadows/lighting...checking the direction is the same in both.

Another trick is to slightly blur both images...to soften the edges...you can also use the 'brightness/contrast' adjustment tool to further blend the images...just make sure you keep the two images as separate layers when doing this...adjusting individually.

Once you have them set to your liking you can then 'flatten' the image...and make any final adjustments (brightness/contrast/hue/saturation etc.) to the whole image.

I have tried to keep the above tips as simple as possible...however...if you need more info please ask.

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Thanks 1

HI Ron @silver911,

Thank you so much for the technology overview!   It is very helpful - particularly as I am not strong with (that means not good with!) digital technology.   I'll look the terms you mentioned up and see if the software I'm using will allow me to do what you are suggesting.  I have the MS Office series, but for graphics, I use free, on-line software - a tool called Photoscape and Photoscape Pro.  What's pretty funny is I worked at a giant company for years, where I led a design studio - but, I did my work by hand, and the younger designers would convert the sketches to digital reality - all fine, and they did a great job - but, the company refused to get me a license for Photshop, Illustrator, or even CAD because I didn't use either daily!  as such, I never learned to use any digital software, except for Photoscape - which I used over Powerpoint!!  not what you'd expect for a big time shop! A sympathetic IT guy, hooked me up with the free package! 😁   

Toward the end of my run with the "big" shop, I spent much of my time dealing with "margin erosion", "utilization", and "market sector" phone calls, and not as much time on actual work (projects) - I didn't enjoy this at all  🤨 🥵.    In fact, I think I got heavily into model building around this time because it was a great outlet to do some fun design work!!  The information you provided will be very helpful 😁   

For some housekeeping updates, a couple for you Ron - I added the straps to the various "hoses" on the tower, and primed it.  I am trying to figure out how to make visually convincing sand ladders using thin brass sheets.  Sand ladders have holes punched through, but also have standing seams -  I'm assuming to help make them rigid.  So far, I've made a styrene template with thin strips glued on lengthwise, which I plan to press the brass onto and then drill out - we'll see.  And Pete, I added a couple of beacons to the roof of the halfcab, and am looking for materials to make a few spotlights - again, the theme of the overall build is to not but new kits or accessories for this project!  I made a run to the art store a few days ago and picked up some material for the base and airbrush cleaner - and have ordered some material for the canopy - not expensive, but will take a few days to get here. 

In the meantime, there is a lot of paint required on the tower.  As it's big, oddly shaped, and generally awkward, I'm not looking forward to this task.  Getting a uniform primer base on was a bit messy - the structure has layered materials, which leave paint gaps on whatever is behind the layers...perfect.

So, on we go!  thanks for having a look

Cheers

Nick 

Glad it was useful to you Nick :)

Whilst I am not familiar with the software packages you are using...your earlier results show promise.

Being in the print industry...I grew up with Photoshop...and still use it to this day...although...for simple tasks...such as re-sizing an image...I tend to use 'Paint.net' (free).....

https://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Give it a try...you may find it a useful option.

Good to hear straps have been added to pipes/cables 👍

As for sand ladders...pics on this listing may help.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113877239156?var=414143054309&hash=item1a839cc574:g:QnIAAOSwdYFe1-kT

Glad you added lights to half cab per Pete's suggestion...nice one mate.

You are being very controlled in not buying extra bits and pieces...great self-restraint 🤣

I can well imagine the amount of paint needed will stretch the budget tho 😱

Looking forward to next visual update :clap2:

Edited by silver911
  • Thanks 1

It’s your fault @Stickframe, I was walking along the North Norfolk coast today and I saw a scene like this in front of me

brancasterstaitheboat3T.jpg

but the water was a bit lower and the weeds a bit higher, so I couldn’t see the boat hull.  And all I could think was ‘is that a trawler or a bizarre hybrid vehicle with a flatbed & 8 wheels?’

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

HI model builders - no photo update today - but can report, a lot of paint is now covering the tower!  I should post some images in a couple of days.  I've built and primed the second WASP, and tore off a rebuilt the radar unit, which I concluded looked too big - the new version is smaller, more detailed and primed.  I also made a wind vane/sock just waiting for paint.  So, things are still moving.  A real work project has popped up and kept me busy for the last week - lots of spreadsheets and so on.

@bar side - now you've really piqued my interest!  But, I can't see the image - please try and repost!  It might be the image I'm looking for to shape this dio up!!

OK gents, happy weeekend - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1