Reminiscing on time spent at south station

I'm still lovin' the "half-track truck" Nick, but the "half cab grappler" is a very good idea, very unique.  I'd like to see more of your work on the under side of the trailer.  The photo of the underside looks quite complex, and just wondering what your going to add.  I have this kit and I'm lurking around as I finish my build, and like to see a good scratching.  All good stuff.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Time for an update.   I can report that it was clearly a good decision to rethink this, and moreover, exactly what was to be built on top of the trailer.  Pete, you're right - better to cool down a bit and think about this for what it's supposed to be, and not just jump into making it work!  And Ron, to your point, there is no way that I could, or really wanted to duplicate something (ie to refelct the entire scale/concept).   Instead to make something that best reflects attributes of the syle - making it a different sort of challenge, as this is not intended to be something that is flying or hovering, like the "typcial" McQue work, but it does want to have the look.   I also thought about more clearly defining what this is - and "station" might be the wrong word choice - maybe something more like an element associated with a forward operating base?  An operational beacon of sorts, for a few people doing whatever it is they are doing out in the middle of nowhere?  

So, as noted before, I scrapped the idea of this looking like several levels being stacked, then hoping they would magically look right, and instead, built this as one object that has three distinct levels - and you'll see, taking on slight hints of a nautical theme:

51301540354_ead356b44a_h.jpg

Nonetheless, you need to start somewhere, so phase one was establishing the base, starting with a widened and modified Aoshima box.   Then, doing lots of mods/cutting and scratch work on the Orochi M3A3 (the one that donated the tracked running gear) for about half of the mid-level.  And, for you mech fans, I was able to cobble together some stabilizer legs from the junk box.  What you can't really see here is that inside the lower floor opening is something of a workshop, with benches, vice, grinder etc - but, having built a few dios, and gone through the tedious excess of making something with great detail, that will never be seen, well, it's getting a light touch!  On we go:

51300827761_97d3821a07_h.jpg

I'm hoping my earlier point is making sense here, as this has three discrete levels, though they are begining to take shape as a single strucutre, or even vessel.  I strategically left some parts of the Aoshima box evident - more of a design than practical decision.  I also used a uniform window size, which I think supports the idea of this looking like a vessel of some kind  - and on to some strucural pieces added:

51301014598_b6eb9447f1_b.jpg

After spending some time actually looking at what I was building, I realized the big oening on the ground floor is almost directly beneath what is to become the "cabin" of this land ship, and that the wall just looked soft - or weak - how could a wall with a big opening hold all the weight above???? Well, part of this could be carried by the mid section which could function as beam in and of itself, carrying the weight above, but, it still needed something.  Early on I added I beams to the sides of the opening, but, they go almost unnoticed.  So, in the context of this build, how about an exoskeleton truss???  Redistributing the load of the upper floors outward and not straight down - I figured the lower left side was ok, with the sort of flitch-plate-esque piece attached to the walls, but the rest needed some help.  So added the truss, linking the upper strucutral surface panels, to the lower right corner - perfect!  add-on features that plausibly do something!  And, you can see the start of the "cabin", or control area etc - and finally:

51300827736_6d07ceb5ee_h.jpg

You can now see this taking shape - the base, middle and top, which are hopeully characteristically similar to a vessle of some sort.   Our friend the 1/35 soldier has been very helpful here for eyeballing scale!  and for keeping an eye on things! 😁

With the cabin on top, there's a deck running around one side and end, while the other end will become my landing pad, or dock?  I don't know just yet - it will though cantilever outward from the structure, over the tongue of the trailer.  How about that huge armored door!  Some overkill? yes - but, it was sitting here begging to be used, so, it found a key place to go.   

As for the mech legs, while they look ok, and took a long time to make, and make operable, I'm just not convinced yet that they will make the grade (I only have two btw - so one on either side? or both on one side, as you won't see the back anyway),  It seems to me, these might want to have some element the provides stability higher up the wall plane - my gut says don't use them as is, or, use them for something else, and make some more credible stablizers.     

And Rich, first, I'm really glad you like the half track and the half cab! they were both fun to build!  Regarding the trailer, yes, it is indeed a nice, and highly detailed kit, and I have since added a few bits, but for now, it won't be getting much more.  It still needs it's own stabilizers, which I have not put on because I want to see what it looks like with a load and sitting on tires/wheels - they'll eventually go on.

As the weekend is nearly here, I'll keep going - likely to finish the cabin roof, which will have some sort of tower with radar/communications-looking stuff up there.  And, eventually, I'll have to start seriously thinking about paint! this will require a lot of paint and primer....

Enjoy the weekend - 

Cheers

Nick 

Edited by Stickframe
  • Like 4

Well Nick...a ton of progress...where to start!

I guess my first observation would be that...whilst you have added some strength to the structure...with tie beams...which goes a long way towards credibility...I would suggest you think about how you add the same to the structure and trailer.

It needs some kind of bracing...whether it be girders/beams...or welded plates maybe.

I would also suggest that the available space at the front of the trailer would be ideal for mounting a generator (power for the structure).

IMHO...the stabilizers look very good...just a shame you only have 2...as it really does need 4...interested to see what you come up with.

All your other points and thoughts are very relevant...and I like where your taking this.

This is helping me no end with thoughts on my future project 😉

Ron

• Like 1

Nick, It's coming along very nicely. Integrated is the word that springs to mind. The layers are all as one now.

I like the mech stabilizers. Very tough looking. I think one either side, fixed to brackets on that rear part of the trailer. Unless that has another use?

The wall where they are attached looks too fragile.

Possibly a different design of stabilizer on the front? A lighter design (foldout spiders leg?) as the trailer is usually fixed to the tractor unit?

Is the access to the workshop a drop down panel? It could go down onto hinged legs?

I like the top floor too. Armoured door is there for a purpose. Blank off a couple of the windows, maybe the highly volatile fuel for the flier is kept in there?

I presume there will be an external staircase for access to the upper floors. Also it needs ladders from ground level?

Keep it coming and the thoughts streaming.

• Like 2

So, yes, we boldly go...and so on....

Dear @RichO,

We value and will seriously consider your thoughts and observations regarding our current effort.  Your participation is appreciated.

Share and Enjoy!

Kind regards,

The Management (complaints department)   😁😁  

Now on to serious business - @silver911 and @Pete in Lincs, seems it takes a special type to realize the significance of this project, and the long lasting impliocations of each decision being made along the way (😁😁).

Yes - the out riggers - I pareciate both of your observations and agree.  My exception tho has to do with how the strucutre here works.  I think I can use the two mech arms I've got, but, would use them toward the front of this, as there will eventually be a flight deck up top.  Then, would use the "spider leg" approach to the rear - which would actually be like a tiltable truss with a foot on the end - per this highly detalied and precision rendering, once again courtesy of powerpoint:

51304196012_9390c06d43_b.jpg

To your points - Ron, add a structural elment on the ends, in the front, supporting the outrigger, and also part of a larger structure supporting a pad above.   Pete, connecting the mech support to a strucutral element, rather than a simlpe wall plane, so it looks like it's actually supporting something worthy of it's bulk.  Something less chunky in the back - more about stability than lift/support.

Before any of this, I need to work on the top - and add some detail around the "deck" 

OK gents, take care and happy model building - 

Nick 

Edited by Stickframe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

You're right. I forgot about the flightdeck, so you will need beefier outriggers on the front.

4 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

more about stability than lift/support.

Yes again.

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Still going at it - today's episode: "What goes on top; what's up???"

2mb7GiJ%5D1_Concept

One of the more interesting attributes of this build for me has to do with trying to capture the elements of a particular, unique character/style, and not a real thing.  It needs to be somewhat industrial, nautical, high tech/low tech, and on and on.  Versus, building something that's well defined, be it an F1 car, part of a building, or an MATV, largely coming from a kit.  You've all seen me bumble through the core structure, which I'm feeling pretty good about.  Now - addressing what goes on top:

51309578206_6b007dcc1e_h.jpg

51310578880_3ebbc09915_b.jpg

Things that look like they belong on top of a ship, should go on top! and come straight out of the abandoned kits area, along with some scratch/kitbash etc etc.   It seems to be coming along ok.   

I was a bit nervous about the relationship between the tower and radar - that the tower would in real life obstruct the radar, and I was wrong.  It turns out that vertical objects can be found adjacent to radar - good!  I like it and don't want to tear it off (though everything from/including the roof up is dry fit). 

You can also see more dry fitting, like the struture and locating points for those heavy duty mech arms!  Like most of this, making the "H" beam structure was more of a chore than anticpated, but I think worth it.  Another layer of framing will keep going upward to support the "dock"/"port"? - etc, and I think it will look ok.  I'm still not sure about the "slip" or cradle/frame structure to accommodate the curved hull/airframe of the wasps???  I've thought about making a net of some kind, maybe forming plastic to match the hull? Using rollers?  still undecided for now.  Which is fine, as there is still plenty to do otherwise - 

Happy model building gents,

Cheers, 

Nick 

• Like 5

Hi Nick,

great progress on the structure and coms array...with the tower being an ideal location for a searchlight/landing light set-up.

Looking at the sketches/pics...although this is in the early stages of construction...what stands out to me is this...yours is rather clinical/precise compared to the illustrations...for example...the top row of pics...in which everything appears cobbled together...overlapping plates etc.

This not in any way a criticism...merely a personal observation...as said...very early days in the construction.

One area I am confused about and cannot visualise as yet...the landing pad/dock...although...without seeing what is meant to land on it...it's very difficult to get my head around this idea...so I look forward to what you have planned.

Really enjoying the whole project...and having a lot of fun being allowed to input thoughts and ideas.

Ron

• Like 1

Hello gents, and happy end of the week!

@silver911, well Ron, it's your attention to detail that makes your builds great, and hopefully mine better!  I'm going to start in reverse order today, with the "aircraft" and what it is first:

51315779563_8514f4d76e_h.jpg

This is a "WASP" something designed by McQue and made in 1/35 by Industria Mechanika.   I have no idea how this is inteded to work, but it looks the part for this!  Happily for me, the kit comes with two of these, well, craft -  You can see in the upper left, how I interpret ground transport of these flying craft.  The idea is that my outpost is something of a small hive for these (😁) - docking, repair, and flight ops - that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Next - I have been pondering how the landing area will work for a while - in brief, there will be a landing dock adjacent to the control part of the station.  The real challenge here was figuring out how to make a convincing cradle - that "apparently" works, while allowing the gear that sits under the WASP to remain in-tact when landed.  This led me to think about a slip for a boat, where, no matter the depth of the hull, a boat can slide in and out, without retracting anything (yes, assuming the water is deep enough!). 

So, I concluded, I'd make a pair of landing "slips", in what is generally a "U" shape, with the open end facing outward.  As this "slip" is intended to be sitting on the mobile station, suspended above the ground, with minimal support, I decided to make a cantilevered truss system beneath the deck:

51316302219_db355ee335_h.jpg

Beauty eh? well, it's getting there.  Above, you can see my "slip" concept - which is a bit bulbous, to match the hull of the WASP.  My assumtion is that this craft would "drop/hover" into place, a bit like a helicopter.  It would rest on stabilized rollers once in place.  And, as the WASP kit is solid resin, it's heavy, I used .040" styrene for the deck - just basic stability.   Then scratch built some heavy central trusses and added two small trusses from the junk box.  On the underside, you can see I've just begun work on converting the four trusses into a single open frame structure - adding stryrene tubing etc.  The top will get more detail too....

51314835042_d438408d0d_h.jpg

All of this is still dryfit - I taped on the landing slips/dock on to show how it goes together.  Once I've added more structure to the truss area, I'll attach it to the "base", then add a couple of diagonal braces from the big structure (from previous post) that's used to hold the stabilizers in place.  In short, we're getting there!  For clarity, I added one stand alone pic - it's a bit bigger, so hoping it illustrates what I'm up to:

51314900192_2cc74000fe_b.jpg

As the deck is only taped on, it's sagging, but hopefully, with some more support from below, it will sit level!

Now, on to your other points - it's funny, coming from you I'd generally be thrilled to hear you commenting on my precision!  ha!  you're right - this will need to be loosened up as we move ahead.  I'll start with bolt heads, maybe some tubing, remant etch and kit parts, etc, but, as @bar side observed earlier, I have to be careful with adding random bits - I want them to have at least some visually convincing degree of purpose.  My guess is that as an artist, McQue can illustrate intent via photshop, that is, even if the struture is digitally modelled in three dimensions, it holds no physical weight, and there are no "bearing" elements.  Whereas here, this thing is getting heavy!  I hate flimsy models anyway, so a real challenge has come from making this object relatively strong as  structure.  I'll have to keep pondering how to loosen it up visually.  Weathering will certainly help!  I like weathering, and have a decent techinque for adding rust and grime (think of the metal facade on the F1 shop).   

So, that's where we are as of this write up!  I'll keep going on the dock - I want to add some materials for landing guidance.  Think of a funnel - I'm going to make some flat rails to help the pilot navigate into the berth.  Sorry if that's a confusing description - I have an idea in mind. 

Off we go - have a great weekend - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

If feel I have been missing out on progress just lately.  Been a bit busy & need to have a read back through in detail. All looks good though & bonkers as ever.  Keep it up!

• Haha 1

Now it's all beginning to make more sense Nick :)

Precision has it's place...but the balance here is to render the 'feeling' of homemade...but still retain an engineered strength.

It's a real challenge to make that translation in plastic.

As for weathering...based on your previous stuff...no problem.

I do like those 'wasps'...pics are a great inspiration for colours etc.

Your landing bay works for me...and your sense of placement is a good one.

All in all...another excellent update...really enjoying this mate :clap2:

Ron

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RichO said:

You gonna christen a name for this thing.

If there were/will be several of these things then how about Wasp nest five?

Nick, love the cradle idea. You didn't have much choice but to do it this way, but you do seem to have cracked it.

As for the Mc Que look,  I would paint up bits of Aircraft panels in various colours with sections of I.D. numbers/letters on them to be attached at random.

Does that make sense? the drawings look like machinery has escaped form the junk yard clothed in whatever it could find! 

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Thanks for continuing to be a part of this, well, unusual build!😁

@RichO haha! Boaty McBoatface eh??? I asked you guys to share ideas along the way; we're not going to have an internet vote for the name! 😁 I already like @Pete in Lincs WASP Nest 5 - sounds adequately mysterious to me!  And, a big, navy style  "5" on the side of the tower could have a nice look to it!

@silver911 Hi Ron - good!  I'm glad this is begining to make some sense - I was getting a bit concerned that this "bold adventure" might be only considered that by me!  As you'll see below, the build of the parts that need to be strong are about done, and now time to get on with the character elements.  It also occurs to me this extravaganza is going to take a long time to paint, and, I still haven't set up a base, or gotten into landscape etc - and, will there even be enough room for one of the pole tower buildings??? Maybe not - this is getting big🤔  

First up, some progress on the dock:

51317946003_808fa98deb_h.jpg

And there you have, a WASP deck!  added more to the truss system below, and did some work topside.  Added some non-skid plank, and you'll see the four "spatuals" for lack of a better term for the guidance toguide the WASP landing.

And, the big strucutral frame:

51318461634_dd83973dee_b.jpg

This might not have needed its own pic, but, it is a big deal.  This frame will serve several purposes:  to add some strength the "station"; to provide connecting points for the stabilizers; and, the tabs along the top, to hold diagonal bracing.

51318744425_be4bb26bd0_h.jpg

You can see, I added a couple of H beams to the structural frame up to the dock.  I thought this should be called about done - but, as you'll see in the next pic, my OCD required that I add two more struts!  The good news is that, as is, it holds that resin chunk called a WASP up!  and, it doesn't tip over!

51318461614_854e673e74_h.jpg

You probably won't even notice what I added here - but, if you count struts beneath the deck, you'll find I added two more, supporting the inner portion of the "slip" arms, one on each side.  This was just a visual that didn't rest well with me, so, on went some more styrene!  You can also see how the slip and guidance spatuals work.  I wondered about other things too - does a WASP have downward shooting exhaust for thrust?? or, is this some sort of elecromagnetic anti gravity device?  I have no idea - I might add some shields, that look they would deflect jet blast away from the tower and trailer anyway - just for the "look". 

51318744400_d760211bc6_c.jpg

Above, how SS Trailer McTrailerface (???😁🤔) more or less sits today.  This of course was taken before I added the two addional struts, but, it's close enough to illustrate the point! 

BTW, I think the spatuals and jet blast deflectors are/could be a good first step in the McQue direction - just weird enough to get this going, but reasonable enough to belong here!  Oh, and I need to figure out how to make those suspended jet blast deflectors....Maybe attach them to the trailer deck??  and not the tower?  As shown above, the tower is located directly over the axles and that's where I'd like it to eventually be attached.  This at least allows me a relatively well defined location for such blast deflectors - I don't know....

OK, on we go - 

Enjoy the weekend - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

Another great update Nick :)

My one abiding concern is still the matter of...how is the building fixed to the trailer?

I get that it's very much a work in progress...constantly evolving etc. ...but I do think you need to address this sooner rather than later mate.

Being candid...it just looks as if one good bump and........

That being said...the work you have done on the 'flight' deck is superb...but...personally...it lends an air of the building being likely to topple forward.

That's me done...i'll just go and sit in the corner now.

Ron

• Haha 2

Yes, The Spatula's are pure McQue and do add a touch of (good) weird.

I'd go with thrustless  anti gravity, to add another touch of weird. So no blast deflectors. But, netting between the arms of the platform.

And it MUST droop, which will add a bit of Oriental fishing junk (ness). Which is where I think he (Mc Que) gets his cues from.

So maybe the nets are tied on with cables, and a couple of the ends hang down? Scruffy, untidy maybe, but it goes with the theme.

I like the idea of the big USN style 5. grey and white? Is it called shadow numbers? Can't remember. Maybe a windsock on the roof too?

I'm sure the building is fixed to the trailer, and no doubt said fixings will appear very soon. Good suggestion from @silver911 I think.

• Like 1

Well guys, 

Yes, I'll finish it, all of it, now! 😁  @silver911 and @Pete in Lincs, well you two have sure built up quite a punch list of tasks!

51322810311_a948ae0981_z.jpg

51323804945_8ea9721eb4.jpg

And yet, on we go! 

Ron, yes, you've no doubt heard of "MacPherson" struts, and there's always "Simpson Strong Ties", well, now we have the "Ron X Brace" - behold:

51323804920_a603d2a1db_h.jpg

Now, that aught to hold this in place just fine!!  In fact, it looks heavier than the trailer! 😁  But, there should be no doubt, when done, this will stay in place!  As for it being top heavy in general, maybe on moving day the cabin is removed and placed on the bed of the half cab??? who knows?? it looks like a hefty brute though, so that's one way of answering that question....🤔 maybe it also doubles as a gin pole truck and can remove the cabin too!  Ahhh...the coffee is working as hoped 😁

And then, I took a few more photos to give all of this some context:

51323011533_ef7c68a287_h.jpg

51322810261_3433564bdc_h.jpg

I've got to say, this is shaping up.  I included the lower middle pic above, just to illustrate some wildly good luck.  The half cab bed is almost flush with the shop floor on the trailer!  Perfect, just like I planned it.....🙄 😁  

And what else - ah, yes, I made an executive decision, which was to toss those mech legs - there was something about them that just didn't settle with me - so I replaced them with hydraulic rams.  I thought if I were building this in real life, I'd guess they were just too fussy - more complicated than almost everything else, except of course for the anti-gravity flying machines and, oh yeah, the half track!  Pete. I like the idea of the net - not sure exactly how I'll make that, but I have an idea or two. 

And Ron, I thought about your point of this tipping over - I'm assuming you meant forward, over the cantilevered deck?  Looking at this more, and really thinking about it, for that to happen, the WASPs and deck would essentially need to weight more than all of the tower structure - and if that were the case, it would be on posts, not the cantilever.  For proof of theory, I looked up heliports on off shore oil rigs, and found several examples of cantilevered structures - I think it's ok!

Next will be adding more plastic - but carefully.  I'll need to spend some quality hours staring (look fixedly or vacantly at someone or something with one's eyes wide open (haha)) at some McQue ships to settle on a palette of elements one would expect to see, and pull a strategy together.  I don't want to screw this up by randomly adding stuff - that's just wrong.  There is a discernable design vocabulary I'll need to pattern this after.

Happy model building - 

Cheers

Nick 

And, the trailer is now so heavy, I first tried to add all of the outside wheels, dryfit, but that was a headache, as they kept popping off...perfect - so, rather than wrestle with them, I just set the whole trailer on wood blocks!  At least I won't accidentally tip it over as we keep going!  

• Like 1

That's an update and a half mate...you have been  a busy boy!

Now...me being me...something has been bugging me for a while...couldn't quite put my finger on it...until now.

It was your comment about the wheels popping off with the weight that finally registered with me...and the 'X-brace you have added at the back of the station...which I like by the way 👍

So...here it comes...it's the trailer bed itself!

Let me clarify this with an example...if you look at the bed of the half cab...and keep in mind it's main purpose is to transport a 'wasp'...it looks like it can easily hold the weight...and more.

Now look at the bed of the main trailer...it's the relative thickness I am referring to...to my eye...it's just too thin to spread/carry the weight of the station evenly...if at all...I mean the whole vehicle.

Obviously...you have to strike a balance with perceived 'reality'...too heavy in appearance...and your brain tells you it wouldn't be going anywhere!

I get what you say about the flight deck...your reasoning makes perfect sense...however...I return to a comment I made earlier in the build...the space at the front of the trailer/station is...to my eye...the perfect place to mount a generator to power the workshop and station.

This would also provide you with the ideal 'hub'...from which to route your cables/power lines etc. to the whole structure...including a couple of main boards/fuse boxes on strategic locations on the exterior of same.

I must stress...the above are my personal observations...in no way are they any kind of criticism...meant only for consideration...so feel free to ignore.

Your scratch work is sublime...much more difficult than my work on the 312T...where I am replicating a given part that all can readily identify...which is far easier than what you are trying to achieve.

Believe me...I am enjoying watching this come together...just as much as your enthusiasm shines through in each update.

Respect

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 2

Well guys, Ron has raised several good questions - which of course means, I need to address them   They made me wonder about some of my other design decisions, including the "Ron X Brace".  Sadly, it is no more:

51325730922_7a3861626a_b.jpg

Before I get into the revised brace, let's talk about scale.  I have reported several times this is getting pretty big, but, that is only realtive to other model projects, not necessarily relative to scale.   As you can see on the picture on the right, if you populate this with some scale figures, it is pretty big, but not overwhelmingly large.  You can also see my new hydraulic ram as a stabilizer.  

As I was thinking about Ron's overarching quesiton about the trailer, I acknowledged something I was "pretending" I didn't notice, which was the X brace I built before was GIANT!  So, it came out, and was replace by two struts.  The new struts might get some more detail, but I think they look more reasonable than before.  

Now back to the trailer.  I began to wonder about the design and how or if it could carry this load.  The real trailer is designed to carry 67 tons, and I'd imagine that is a conservative number.  I found some images ot the real thing to figure out how it works:

51326464681_b4dc58cf5e_b.jpg

Just like the kit, there is a really big, central spine under the deck, with ribs, and between them, axle mounts.  OK.  Next, let's talk about what I'm putting on top of it.  In general terms, the tower is like stacked cargo containers:

51327458715_2800e0de78_b.jpg

While I'm not going for that fast food look, the basic structure is similar, and, you can see the contaners are relatively light, at about 8,700 lbs unloaded.  All of that known, made me think the general idea is indeed plausible.  But, Ron's fundamental point, stuck with me - while we know the trailer is likely strong enough as is, it doesn't look like it is!  So I did this little graphic study:

51325730892_6f8eb4178b_b.jpg

My interpretation of Ron's ovservation can be seen in the top image, where you can see the "tower" comforatably sitting on the trailer - except, you don't really see much of a trailer - it looks a bit like it's floating on the suspension.  The gap between the two red lines in the upper image highlights the profile of the bed, which is quite thin.  In the lower picture, the red line follows the top of the bed, and you can see I added some light green lines, beneath the bed, and between the ribs, to give the bed some convincing visual depth, as clarified below:

51327458700_00753ebabf_b.jpg

On the left, you can see the framing structure of the trailer - a thick spine, with evenly spaced ribs, and suspension elements between.  The close up on the right shows where I will add to the frame, illustrated in the previous image.  While I have no idea if this will/would add to the structural integrity of the trailer, I think it will address Ron's point - and give the trailer some "required" girth!

Ok - so, fixing the trailer is next on the list.  

Once that's done, I can think about what might go in the space between the tower and the goosenck, and I must say, I think Ron's idea of some sort of a power hub/source is a good one.  I can imagine something boxy with a clump of wires, leading to a harness or two connecting to the deck area, and the tower.  

And Pete, I'm still pondering how to handle the nets - I like that idea, and haven't given up on it!

Happy model building,

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

This is what makes you such a high level modeller...the research you have done into the 'real world' aspects...structural strength...load bearing ability etc. ...then translated the information gained...into practical application within the model...nice one 👍

With regard to the x-brace...I much prefer the revised version...a higher level of perceived reality...it works!

Something I have mentioned before...and still think would add a worthwhile level of detail...weld beads/seams...as much as nuts and bolts also work...welds always look right...just a thought Nick.

And...yes...I am glad you like the generator/power hub idea...and look forward to your interpretation of it.

Lastly...I honestly think some search/spot lights would...again...raise the perceived level of reality.

Pete's net idea is a really good one...and I feel it will introduce a nice offset to all the hard surfaces/materials.

As much as I enjoy putting ideas forward...it's the greater fun of how you perceive and interpret them...that gives me the biggest buzz.

Please feel free to ignore any and all suggestions mate...I wouldn't be offended in the least.

Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HI Ron,

I appreciate that feedback.  I think I'm like you in that regard, if it clearly doesn't work, or look like it works, well, it's not something to build!  I enjoy looking parts up - it can be really informative for whatever you're trying to make work, and offers lots of good ideas for other parts of the build.    And, ask and you will (eventually) see change - like bolts and a generator!

51335953444_8ce9bcd641_b.jpg

And, a thicker trailer!  Starting with the thicker trailer - I balanced this in place, with tires/wheels on, and eyeballed the gap between them and the bed.  Next, found a suitably thick piece of material for reinforcement.  For this, cut out individual segments, to go between each trailer rib, then added another sheet styrene on the inside to thicken the look up a bit.  I'm glad you pushed me on this subject, as I think it looks more convicing now (and will moreso with paint) - I hope it passes the Ron test!  😀  You'll also see the trailer now has three stabilizers in place - two that come with the kit, front and rear, and my hefty hydraulic ram!  An oddity of the kit, or maybe the way it really is, the front jacks are pretty short - so, under went a block of wood, which I can imagine being reasonable when leveling on a site - who knows?

Then, added lots and lots of bolt heads, made by cutting lots of short segments of various diameter hex rods.  While a bit tedious, it is essential.  I've never liked my results for scale weld seams, so for now, I'm sticking with bolts.  The updside to these bolt heads is that they are so obvious, that they cast a nice shadow, which also means when it comes time to weather this, they can become little nodes of rust and grime!  I also added a cap to the handrail on the second level.  I like this because it also sticks out enough to cast a shadow.  Little segments of remnant hydraulic lines added here and there too.  

51335228156_259bee6830_h.jpg

51335228161_f36a22e986_h.jpg

This unit now has a generator!  Like the rest, it's styrene and remanants from other kits.  It seems to be quite a nice and snug fit.  You can see a muffler in the back, and several lengths of solder to make up two cable packs running up to harnesses that will eventually get glued to the rest.  One last update is the radar - I realized it was mounted the wrong way before, as it was pivoting around the "end" for lack of a better term, and now, it pivots about the radar screen (I have no idea what it's called either!).  So, out came the knife and saw, and I changed it.  I think the other way looked a bit better, but this is how they are supposed to look!   The spot lights are a good idea too - I haven't figured out how to make them yet?  I looked on shapeways, and found some in 1/32 scale, @ $11 each.  But, as this is not supposed to include buying new stuff, I'll keep the $11 and figure something out!   

As for the next stpes, I need to think up the next set of spatuals - something that does something, but can be interpreted to reflect the character of the intended build.  You'll notice, I built an I beam frame sticking outward from the second floor deck.  Initially this was supposed to be a bracket that stabilizers would be attached to.  But, the more I think about this, I'm considering some sort of boom like/outrigger structure, like you see on fishing trawlers:

51335280831_c2e921494b.jpg

51335506438_c8991a34d3.jpg

I already have what is called a "cross tree" (the I beam structure), so, maybe I'll add the outgiggers - maybe my tent/canopy structure will be drawn by the "tag lines" and hang by the outriggers???  The trailer comes with some big rigging blocks that I could use to raise/lower the outrigger?? - again, not sure yet, but, it is something I like the look of.   As to whether I can pull it off, that's another story! 🤔  If I can pull it off, it might be just what I need to add to the "look" - I really don't want to cobble on random sheets of material to the overall structure.

OK, on we go - happy model building -

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

I won't bore you with 'superlatives' Nick...suffice it to say...absolute stunning progress...does it pass the Ron test...it does...and then some 👍:clap2:

As for the spotlights...I couldn't resist these...sorry.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353152615165?hash=item52398942fd:g:ytYAAOSwHM9fH95a

Now...me being a detail lover...just a couple of small things...first the cables and pipes need fixing/holding clamps...like these.....sorry for long link!.....but simple to make.....

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/fasteners/pipe-clamps/pipe76-half-pipe-clamps/p/ZT1072970X?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=pla%2B|%2BFasteners&utm_term=ZT1072970X&utm_medium=shopping-pla&targetid=pla-393013749299&loc_physical_ms=9044880&dev=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwuvmHBhAxEiwAWAYj-DE3-PqKXskoSYQXHBnWzx_Ff88_HkdmgO1mpD8yNT2g4r_TaIUOWxoC5rQQAvD_BwE

Secondly...access to upper floors of station...maybe you are thinking 'internal'...I would suggest the opposite...in the form of hook ladders...like 'roofers' use...when travelling...they would be stored (horizontally)  on hangers on the back side of the station maybe.

Another idea that was put forward earlier in the formative stages (Pete)...an 'awning' (pull out) over the workshop opening...much like the shutter setup you did for the F1 dio...but horizontal pullout as opposed to vertical drop.

Like the 'outrigger' idea...and certainly doable for you.

Lastly...I still think the top of the communication tower (brass one) is the perfect place for a 'landing light' for the wasp's.

Right...that's me done...back to  boring old F1 

Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking for cheap spotlight ideas?  Have a look at the big marker pen tips & lids.  Lots of nice conical plastic shapes that you can cut u & use.  They also tend to fit quite nicely on to a standard led & then they can work too.  Wrap a bit of aluminium foil around to block light bleed through & there you go.  Quick plasticard frame & that would finish it off.  

• Like 2

I seem to have missed a few days on this build. Tsk!

Some great ideas are being bounced around and I like the changes to the trailer, depth, bolts and power, can't be bad.

The drooping nets, metal mesh? Possibly from a strainer at the five & dime? (Do they exist any more?) We have pound shops.

Metal mesh can be pre-shaped and should hold that shape whereas plastic may not.

The booms, perhaps they could lower to hold canvas for sunshades? (Tissue stippled with an emulsion of Elmers and water. It dries solid).

Lights? Board game counters of the correct shape may do the job. Dirt cheap at yard sales.

Must go now, there's a Mutagoat loose down at the old riverbed, who knows what it will eat!

• Like 1