Trumpeter 1/24th Scale Bf 109G-6

Really cant believe this kit has been in the stash for so long, came out in 2003,I did build the G-10 yonks' ago that is slowly collapsing under a blanket of dust on the top shelf, will be building in flight(which saves a fair amount of time as I don't need to go to town on the engine and under-carriage)

Boxed up, will be adding the Legend Bf109 pilot resin figure

dMAr3D.jpg

What's inside

xy2o1p.jpg

The pilot figure

oZyKV0.jpg

Test fitting the figure, Trumpeter for some reason mold the head protection as a solid piece with no transparency for the Panzer glass, so will need to cut one and add

gIN7uG.jpg

It begins :)

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Great to see a 1/24 in work! The pilot figure fits well and looks great. Do you know if they are still available?

Cheers,

I had a quick check before I started the build(In case I was sitting on a goldmine:) )

There's a couple from the UK here, but only one of each

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=legend+Bf+109+pilot+figure&_sacat=0

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Got the pilot figure finished and sat in his office, unfortunately his oxygen hose pinged off into the ether when I was  trying to bend it into place, so replaced with a bit of plastic tubing .

IfEKty.jpg

ga3oIa.jpg

• Like 12

Finished work on the cockpit, then moved onto a basic build of the engine, you know that moment when you are snipping off exhaust stacks and one pings off, when you frantically search the work area, when that fails you begin the hands and knees carpet sweep,after a frantic 10 minutes you give up and resign yourself to having to scratch build one, dejectedly you take a swig of your tea, and as if by magic find the part you are looking for swilling around the bottom of your cup, well that.😱

a9f1F7.jpg

Onwards and upwards

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Col. said:

At least you didn't swallow it! :blink:

Came perilously close though, Now that story could have ended differently, Distressingly so😱

Test fitting the pilot and work on the engine, I'm going for a "Only do what you need to do" vibe with this Kit, I'm getting to old, and the stash is to big for the "Well I know its there" philosophy;)

JDJB8T.jpg

I will say this for Trumpetter kits, they may be riddled with ejection marks, but they seem to fit really well.

FHtmJL.jpg

• Like 9

Little update on the Gustav.

Fuselage all closed up, just added a thin strip of plastic to replicate the weld seam on the super charger intake

4Qy6Re.jpg

its going to be big

Look at those ejection pin marks on the flaps, luckily will not be seen

oomD5K.jpg

Taking shape

fwYGW1.jpg

• Like 10

On 6/11/2021 at 9:37 PM, Carts said:

as if by magic find the part you are looking for swilling around the bottom of your cup, well that

Now I usually find it just after I’ve finished scratching a replacement :)

Nice build, I love the G-6 lots of potentially interesting schemes and variants. 

• Haha 1

Hole drilled and lug fitted for the Perspex rod (actually a twist pull from old blinds)

iF8lcY.jpg

Wings dry fitted to fuselage, fit seems pretty good, might be able to paint up as sub assemblies.

RZZ5ek.jpg

Fun time! Let the painting begin.

cNbfgh.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice paint work!

James 

Thanks James 

These Gustav's from 4th Staffel JG 51 pretty much got bounced around the Balkans with the primary task being the defense of the Ploesti oilfields in Rumania  so I should imagine they were pretty "Battle worn " So one really leaky battered drop tank will have to do :)

CWprVi.jpg

In situ

pwd25B.jpg

Progress, its a donkeys' age since I built a 109,but the spark may have been re-ignited 

gtJGxG.jpg

Lordy, my work area is an absolute disgrace :(

• Like 7

You're making nice progress there :) 

1 hour ago, Carts said:

Progress, its a donkeys' age since I built a 109,but the spark may have been re-ignited 

That's good to hear :D 

1 hour ago, Carts said:

Lordy, my work area is an absolute disgrace :(

Was about to reply that you should see the state of mine but can't remember the last time I had a chance to see it myself :frantic:

• Haha 4

Tiny little update.

Faired in the undercarriage, When I have attempted this with other kits, the undercarriage doors often  are a complete mismatch, With this kit they only required a light sanding, and extending slightly with a small tab of plastic card.

KGDDQd.jpg

• Like 7

On 22/06/2021 at 15:06, Longbow said:

Your work area looks pretty clean to me :D

I have this huge 3 foot by 6 foot desk top, and fine myself working in a six inch square space 🤣

Your build is progressing nicely !!

Same here regarding the workspace...

cheers, Jan

Masking Don't you just love it;)

ozsCKU.jpg

All done, about to scoot off on a bit of a Jolly, so will have a week to cure before I crack out the airbrush

ejjYF2.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a very enjoyable week in Jersey visiting my Brother, got to see a Stug and a baby gorilla, so a happy chap :) 

Now its fair to say that airbrushes and I do not get on, I had an Aztek and I found the whole thing a massive "Faff" tended to use enamels because I could never get water based paints to the consistency that didn't clog the nozzle, In a massive fit of optimism I went full in with a new Harder and steenbeck airbrush and a set of Vallejo Air paints, What a huge difference, trouble free right from the off, I actually enjoy airbrushing now 👍

MuMtBI.jpg

yKK2Ui.jpg

At this rate I may be able to crack off  another 109 for this group build

• Like 10