Airfix Phantom FG.1 1/72nd scale

JPuente54

I just bought the new Airfix Phantom FG.1 in 1/72nd scale. I believe that new air intake parts are recommended as the kit ones are a bit inaccurate. I am aware that a resin company does make the parts correctly. But, can't remember the company. Could you help me, please? TIA.

Joe

The kit parts are not beyond redemption but they do require some care and skill to bring up to scratch.  Aerocraft Models produce very neat and acceptable replacements that require the bare minimum of surgery to install.  Buy with confidence.

+1 for what stever219 and Andrew said. You get 2 sets of intake plates and rear vents, so you better get yourself another Airfix Phantom kit while you're at it.

• Like 2

It's not so much the intakes which are wrong but the missing grills above and below the intakes as well as the smaller vents above the exhausts. Firstly, you can scribe them yourself with a sharp knife or pin and a good edge - only a few mm each. If it's the Black Mike (RAF) boxing (as opposed to the Royal Navy one) the vents are included on the decal sheet and look fine when applied.

There are fit issues with the Airfix kit you need to be very careful with.

First is that many of the parts have a very tight fit and if you do any pre-painting you need to remove any paint from mating surfaces.

Second is that there are 2 plastic boxes on the inside of the lower wing - these can catch on the intake trunking causing problems - just chop them off.

Thirdly the fuselage to fin junction id a 4-way fit - take a lot of care.

Wing tanks - should only have the strengthening rib on the port side not both.

The decal sheet is a cracker.

If you research the a/c you want to make to check angles of flaps and slats, dry fit, adjust and dry fit again and take time you'll end up with a good looking model.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

@Andrew, "Vents" was the word I couldn't remember, thank you! @iainpeden, thank you for the tips, they will be useful. Now to find where Aerocraft is sold here(USA).

I don’t think there is a US dealer, but you can order direct with confidence. I’ve placed several orders with Aerocraft. Items are well-made, packed carefully, and shipped quickly.

• Like 2

Hi sorry little thread hijack, but I've just started the same plane (black Mike) Thing is, I'm doing it with my son and he loves wheels up, which is a kit option. But there are no pilots? Was this just an oversite by Airfix or am I missing something?

Guessing I can make some of the resin 1/72 pilots on ebay fit? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going mad.

Sorry again for hijack
Lee

You're not going mad. Pilot figures are rather sparse these days - not only in Airfix kits. 
Maybe look around for some PJ production 1/72 figures?  

Yes. Personally I wouldn't bother replacing the entire intakes because it will mean cutting and sanding and filling and scribing. Scribe the vents yourself or use the decals provided.

All Phantoms had those vents above and below the intakes.

(PS - it's FGR.2 as in Fighter Ground Attack Reconnaissance - the FG.1 didn't have the recon role)

• Thanks 1