RAF 1944 2nd TAF Identification letter colour

Andrew Mackenzie

Interesting observation in the mix of national insignia between the three. Middle one with early fin flash, right hand one with odd sized roundel centre and the grey code.  Also I recal that AL963, the centre one, was the subject of the 1960s Airfix kit but with the later fin flash.

It looks like the area under the tailplanes of all three are in shadow but are not! The shadow goes the other way.  I feel its the US drab green with a straight demarcation by the RAF(?) when they were repainted to UK standard colours of green / earth and around the serials and the same for the blue wheel caps being the U.S colours (Du Pont?) Bit confusing how ever. Still a very interesting picture.

• Like 1

The shadow doesn't go the other way - look where it is on the ground.  Placing a straight edge on this apparently Dark Green angle, and it hits the shadow on the ground at the right place for it to be the shadow of the tailplane- but this doesn't explain why the serial is sitting on a lighter patch of apparently Dark Earth.  The sharp straight edge is not representative of any RAF camouflage pattern.  I think we need some more photos to sort this one out.  However if we are seeing a very odd patch of dark green, it appears to be a different hue to that on the rest of the aircraft.

• Like 1

There are traces of touch-ups on AL690 near the base of the empennage, and on/around the rudder trim tab - the last one seems the same tint as around the serial. 

But those serials look really weird when zoomed in, even accounting for artifacts due to compression.

- edit - 

I think some tried to outfox the censor. Number three has no serial. 

The whole photo has a slightly strange look to it, there's the funny serials, the out of focus bloke in the foreground complete with lifejacket and the sharply focussed bloke behing the aircraft plus the aircrewman climbing out is half sharp and half fuzzy. Also the bloke with his head missing under AL683(?) doesn't ring true - his jacket seems to be JUST in front of the underside colour?

I don't think we're seeing what the camera saw.

The roundel variations seem to illustrate the ordered but not instant change-over from A1 to C1 roundels and flash.  Zooming in throws up more detail, eg evidence of local paint patching around the roundel of the nearest machine.

Equally interesting are the oddly painted roundels on the second and third machines.  Not so much having stopped in mid-conversion as one might expect on a busy operational unit with other things on their plate, it looks as if the blue portion also had wandered off circular.  There are other odd edges to the yellow as it was reduced  from the size it was on the 4th machine in line.

Overall a delightful shot.  

The image above come from Etienne Du Plessis' Flickr pages. A comment under it by @Troy Smith I believe sums it up, a squadron in the transition phase to new markings & touching ups being done with RAF colours over US equivalent shades & not quite matching gives us this variable shading. The chappy without a head is simply behind that aircraft. 

Steve.

• Like 1

There are a series of colour and B&W photo's taken at 88 Sqn on the same day , I will look up the date, interesting shots of the transition of roundels and code colours , at least one photo shows the RH in red and the individual code still in grey and vis versa . The area under the stab is Dark Earth not Dark Green it just looks dark , in one photo of seven machines in a row you see 3 versions of the fin flash , original equal portions of red/white/blue, field modified with more blue added to reduce the white and the later fin flash when the C1 roundels added with equal red/blue with the narrow white band , interesting mix of markings , believe taken in May 42.  

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 3

All Douglas build DB-7B's in that picture, not even 6 mths old. AL690. AL693, AL721, AL775, other photo's show earlier Bostons as well in the Z series.

Edited by Sydhuey

Definitely some 'doctoring' going on in my view. AL680 (foreground plane) was assigned to 226 Sqdn - not 88 Sqdn as shown. It crashed on the disastrous Dieppe raid 19/08/42 http://www.rafcommands.com/database/serials/details.php?uniq=AL680  

If the 2nd aircraft is AL693, that would be correct for 88 Sqdn - but the fin flash is wrong for that plane (a shown here https://airpages.ru/eng/img/a20_01.shtml). If it's AL683 it was assigned to 24 Sqdn SAAF and not 88 Sqdn at all!

So, the censor's airbrush saw some judicial use on this pic I reckon. 

If it is a shadow,then why does it start above and slightly ahead of the tail plane leading edge root particularly on the second one along on AL 693 still wearing the equal proportioned fin flash yet to be updated?

2 hours ago, Andrew Mackenzie said:

Definitely some 'doctoring' going on in my view. AL680 (foreground plane) was assigned to 226 Sqdn - not 88 Sqdn as shown. It crashed on the disastrous Dieppe raid 19/08/42 http://www.rafcommands.com/database/serials/details.php?uniq=AL680  

If the 2nd aircraft is AL693, that would be correct for 88 Sqdn - but the fin flash is wrong for that plane (a shown here https://airpages.ru/eng/img/a20_01.shtml). If it's AL683 it was assigned to 24 Sqdn SAAF and not 88 Sqdn at all!

So, the censor's airbrush saw some judicial use on this pic I reckon. 

No airbrushing , photo is as it looks , as I said earlier 3 types of fin flash in use at this time , May 42 as they transitioned to the later style with narrow white band , I have a series of colour and B&W photo's of 88 Sqn on that day that show all this and the shadow under the tail but its to much of a pain to post them I only post direct now not threw another site. 

88 Sqn operated AL289, AL690, AL692, AL693, AL721, AL740 and AL775  and 13 Boston III's in the Z series in May 42  

If I expand the above serials on my iPad it appears that there are different ‘faint’ serial numbers underneath those ‘bold’ characters. Somethings not quite right to my eye, I’m favouring the censorship theory as well. 

The serials I listed are straight off the 88 Sqn Operational Record history and match the serials on the pictures, the pictures I have are about 40+ MB high rez photo's and when you blow them up the serials are as clear as a bell.

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

The serials I listed are straight off the 88 Sqn Operational Record history and match the serials on the pictures, the pictures I have are about 40+ MB high rez photo's and when you blow them up the serials are as clear as a bell.

I don't think anyone is doubting you, it's just not all of us have access to photos at that resolution so we've been struggling with what was posted above and our comments re funny looking serials relate to that. The image on the IWM site downloads at 42.7kb and you can pay for a hi-res version if you want one.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 19:09, rossm said:

The whole photo has a slightly strange look to it, there's the funny serials, the out of focus bloke in the foreground complete with lifejacket and the sharply focussed bloke behing the aircraft plus the aircrewman climbing out is half sharp and half fuzzy. Also the bloke with his head missing under AL683(?) doesn't ring true - his jacket seems to be JUST in front of the underside colour?

I don't think we're seeing what the camera saw.

The chap in the foreground is moving, that's all and the one without a head has ducked under the fuselage. The half fuzzy one is moving half of himself.

Are my eyes fooling me, or the second aircraft's underside looks more bluish than the rest? Maybe that visit to the eye doctor is long due... 

Agree that the fuzziness of some subjects is due to long-ish exposure times.