It's GONK-o'clock

On 09/06/2021 at 19:51, Pete in Lincs said:

I just thought, how about a repair patch stuck onto a side? Different colour, rivets etc?

I'm considering doing something like that Pete. I wasn't sure about it because Donald had a riveted repair patch on one side, and I didn't want to copy too many features from that one, but he definately needs a non-standard modification of some kind. It's actually something that could even be added after painting to give it some authenticity as a repair.

Well, apart from a possible repair patch, I think he's pretty much done now. I've printed a couple of additional parts, done some more scratch-built greebling, and finally found something for the legs that I'm happy with.

The extra printed parts are a replacement face plate because I wasn't really happy with the original one with the wonky vent, and the two side bumps, which are presumably power sockets, that most Gonks generally have. The new face plate is essentially the same design as the old one but I filled in the area behind the vent grilles to stop them deforming. It doesn't have the same depth as before, but it should look fine with some black paint run into the slots. I've also added a bit of extra greebling in the middle of the plate, although I would probably have been better doing that the old fashioned way with styrene becuase in a few places where details are very close together, blobs of resin have filled in the gaps during the print. The same thing has happened on the top and bottom vent slot which makes them look a little shorter than the rest. Hopefully non of these slightly rough areas will show too much once it's all painted. Ignore the gap at the top of the face plate - it was only loosely pushed on for the photo.

51242568458_aa2b222d7c_b.jpg

The side bumps aren't based on any specific reference, just something along the lines of what you find on most Gonks. The holes on the edge are for some cables that will be added after painting.

51243420340_d3d093a645_b.jpg

I mentioned a few posts up that I'd sent for some ribbed tubing from ebay that I was considering using for the legs. That turned up this morning and, after cutting off a couple of short lengths and sliding them over the existing styrene tube legs, I decided that this was definitely the way to go. It doesn't really look like the wire-reinforced hose used on the original prop costume, but I'm not really bothered. It looks fine, was really quick to do, and I can use the same method on future droids since I've got a couple of metres of it. 

So, with the legs taken care of, and pending any further additions, this is how he's looking now.

51242568253_3f5f962b9f_b.jpg

51243133669_61f1cdc443_b.jpg

51243133714_6ef53c0137_b.jpg

51242365661_6722c098ce_b.jpg

Next it'll be deciding what bits to glue together now, and what to keep separate for painting.

GONK:cat:

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, Andy Moore said:

I'm considering doing something like that Pete. I wasn't sure about it because Donald had a riveted repair patch on one side, and I didn't want to copy too many features from that one, but he definately needs a non-standard modification of some kind. It's actually something that could even be added after painting to give it some authenticity as a repair.

How about something like a shipping stencil or some graffiti ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cool ideas ! Love the way the legs turned out Andy. That's a perfect find !! 

I assume you still have the styrene tuning underneath, with this just slipped over the top.

Am sure there are any number of stories why the old type leg baffles were replaced.

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2021 at 20:13, Richard E said:

How about something like a shipping stencil or some graffiti ?

Some aurebesh or Huttese graffiti is definately a possibility.

On 12/06/2021 at 21:29, Pete in Lincs said:

Or a little RADAR dish on the top?

Well, I've added a little sensor thingy to the top. I like the idea of a radar scanner though, but I might keep that idea for the next Gonk which I'm planning to be a covert surveillance/spy Gonk.

On 13/06/2021 at 09:27, Portaler said:

I assume you still have the styrene tuning underneath, with this just slipped over the top.

Yep, they just slide down over the original styrene tube legs which still bare the load of the body.

And indeed here they are. The bottom of the ribbed tubes are glued directly to the top of the feet, and the tops will just butt up to the underneath of the leg mounting block that the styrene tubes slide into. I've also added a little greebly bit at the back of each foot for the guitar string cables to attach to.

51246142691_253b1cf5cb_b.jpg

I'd been toying with the idea of stippling some Mr Surfacer onto the body to give it a slight cast texture, and in the end decided to do it as it adds a little visual interest when viewed close up, and also helps to hide the few remaining traces of print lines.

51246344218_5a3175e3de_b.jpg

With the legs on, it was looking something like this

51247198490_83b62d96f0_b.jpg

51245429722_ee19f5b67d_b.jpg

I still felt it needed a little more detail though, so I added the sensor thing that I mentioned above to the top front corner, and a little bolted-on control box on the side. This was intentionally placed a bit skew whiff to look like a bodged modification by some inept Tatooine moisture farmer. There'll be a cable running from the box to the sensor which I'll add after painting.

51246142656_de82e2c06e_b.jpg

The rear socket box has also had a few more details added, including a master cut-off switch.

51246344033_3787f5c947_b.jpg

At this point I decided it was time to stop playing around with the details and get some paint on him. I primed him in gloss black, then gave him a coat of Alclad magesium, apart from the mid band section which was finished in aluminium. I probably won't use any of the metallic finish and it'll get over-painted by the main colour (probably red), although I might keep the waist band in aluminium. The metallic was done mainly to see how he looked in that finish, and to provide a fairly neutral undercoat for the rest of the painting.

51246343968_8340aa7302_b.jpg

51246900654_a490fb5f65_b.jpg

51246142271_5c96438c06_b.jpg

51246343723_89e58e753b_b.jpg

51246142026_44d9d130fd_b.jpg

I should be able to start getting some colour on him tomorrow.

• Like 14

Yeah, it does look a bit busy from that angle. I think they'll blend together better once painted, the metallics tend to make everything too prominent. I'm not really sure how I'm going to paint the details yet though. There'll probably be a bit of trial and error to see what looks best.

He'll stay free standing like my other droids.They're all lined up on a shelf at the moment, so he'll be joining them.

• Like 2

So, I managed to make a start on the main painting last night. I masked off the waist band, as I think I'll be leaving that in aluminium, then gave the main body parts a pre-shade in the recesses and around details with Tamiya Hull Red.

51249309460_5c3fb1470a_b.jpg

That was followed up with the main base colour using Gunze Russet. I then mixed a little Tamiya Flesh into the russet and sprayed some patchy faded areas. For now I've left most of the detail parts unpainted, as I'm still not sure what colours I'll be using for them.

51248451093_27113c18e8_b.jpg

51249012679_57c3ac7863_b.jpg

The Russet had left the body with a slight pinkish tint that I wasn't keen on so I added a glaze of Gunze red to bring the finish back to a redder tone. I also added a light spray of Tamiya orange here and there to simulate some discolouration and staining to the finish. The red will be the main base colour, but I'm probably going to add some design or deco in another colour so he doesn't look so monochromatic.

51248450968_9875ae1e95_b.jpg

51248256106_b488edab2d_b.jpg

For now the feet have been painted in a grey shade, but that might change depending on what colours I use for the deco and details on the body.

51248450813_3689a2dfe2_b.jpg

• Like 10

Cool ! Unbegonkable !!! 

I'm too late with my comment, but was wondering will you be doing some chipping ? I guess just on corners etc without any masking medium.

Was wondering how it could have looked with that silver coming out from below. Probably a bit naff if I'm suggesting it :-)

• Thanks 1

On 15/06/2021 at 19:43, Portaler said:

I'm too late with my comment, but was wondering will you be doing some chipping ? I guess just on corners etc without any masking medium.

Yes, there's going to be some chipping, but just painted on over the red. I did think about doing it with either hairspray or masking fluid, but I don't want the chipping to be too extensive on this one, so hand painting it will be easier.

I've now added a simple design to each side of the lower body to break up the red a bit, and also a little emblem/logo on the top of the upper body. The stripe on the lower body has ended up looking a little like a j, at least on the right-hand side. That wasn't intentional, but it doesn't really matter and some of the design will probably get covered over with the weathering anyway.

51255957729_493dcde866_b.jpg

51255413603_4b9a4083e4_b.jpg

In the end I desided to stick with the grey for the feet, and they look a little less boring now I've started weathering them. You can see a little of that in the above photos where I've sprayed a rusty brown here and there. That's now been added to with some chipping and oil washes. The legs have been painted in a dark rubber colour for now, but they'll get some more weathering later on.

51255212361_3924dcfa99_b.jpg

51254479512_9d637f9cfe_b.jpg

Life can't be all Gonk though, so the printer has been churning out various pieces of meeces over the last few days. I've just finished washing these wheel sets which I thought I'd try printing vertically direct on the plate. They've come out okay, although I've lost a little of the detail in the hubs.

51255413433_76440a8ee0_b.jpg

Of course, the wheels will need something to attach to, so I've also made a couple of new mice, the first of which I'm calling an MSE-C or Cargo Mouse. This has got a lowered back with a removeable cargo pod, but is otherwise the same basic proportions of a regular MSE-6 Mouse Droid.

51255212201_cbd9d85632_b.jpg

51256254675_08b9da1db0_b.jpg

I've also done a flatbead version that I'm calling MSE-T or Transport Mouse. Yes, I know... what's the difference between cargo and transport, but I just liked the way the names sounded. This one has three individual containers that will sit on the back.

51254479232_b9bc0408f3_b.jpg

These will both get finished and painted once El Gonko is done.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Excellent !! Those feet ! 🤤  Looking great !!

Did you use like a #1 brush to apply those chips ? Definitely takes some practice to get it to look realistic.

Yep, definitely out of the closet with that Mouse fettish now Andy !!! 😛 

Love em !!! A Gonk needs some little friends !!

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/06/2021 at 20:12, Portaler said:

Did you use like a #1 brush to apply those chips ? Definitely takes some practice to get it to look realistic.

I did use a small brush for some of the chipping, probably a 00 or something about that size, but most of it is done with a sponge.

And, as mentioned earlier, I've now added some chipping to the main body. I've also started to pick out some of the smaller details, although I'm still chopping and changing with colours a bit, which is why the faceplate changes colour between the two shots below. There's some preliminary weathering here and there, mainly airbrushed, but I'll be adding to that later with oils.

51265044979_afbd2e699b_b.jpg

51265342910_854d5d2429_b.jpg

And despite saying that I wasn't going to paint the Mice until I'd finished the Gonk, I ended up painting one of them anyway. Just the MSE-C for now; I need to do a little more work on the MSE-T before I paint that one.

51263578682_86516ce73a_b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think the Gonk is getting close to the finish line now. I've added some dusty weathering to the feet and legs along with some oil leaks and general dirt weathering, so I think they're about done.

51282486295_67843e2ff9_b.jpg

51281462006_3a3f516b81_b.jpg

The lower body's had some of the same dusty weathering, along with a few more dirt and rust streaks. I'll probably give the lower half a light mist spray with Tamiya buff to soften and blend the dust splatters, but otherwise I think this is also about done.

51282486175_d26983dbe6_b.jpg

51281461631_c085a3b8bf_b.jpg

On the upper body I've added the wires to the control box on the side, and again given it more dust and dirt. I've also painted the 'E' panel on the left side in a minty green, because I think the red was looking too dominant and it needed something to contrast with it. The green had some masking fluid chipping as well. I was originally going to paint the back box in a different colour, but I quite like the way it looks at the moment with a rusty oxidised metal finish so I think that's going to stay as it is.

51282485830_675a4d222e_b.jpg

I've also added the two cables to the side bumps which were made from a couple of short springs

51281461491_8ba8a69619_b.jpg

Hopefully I should get the last bits of weathering done in the next day or two.

• Like 12

The Gonk just keeps looking better all the time.

Now, what happens at the end of the day when the mice are scattered all over your Death Star? 

What you need is a double deck Mouse transporter to recover them all in one go!

What about a breakdown mouse with a little crane on the back?

Or is this just getting silly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn, he's one dirty mother f......um I mean droid 🙂

Looks great !! Just shows what's possible in this day and age with a 3D printer, a great imagination and a LOT of skill.

Great job Andy !

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2021 at 20:44, Pete in Lincs said:

What you need is a double deck Mouse transporter to recover them all in one go!

What about a breakdown mouse with a little crane on the back?

Or is this just getting silly?

I think that has to be done. I'll start doing some designs for a transporter and an MRV (Mouse Recovery Vehicle)

Andy:cat:

• Haha 1

I'm calling a wrap on this one now. He's got the additional dusty weathering I mentioned above, and a few oil and dirt splatters mainly around the mid band. He's also now officially PT-1N.

51306911509_9e4baca3f0_b.jpg

I'll get some more shots of him up in RFI later. In the mean time I've been working on a couple of other droid projects, the first of which is a quad (four legged) Gonk. So far I've only printed the lower body and the mid band, but I should get the other bits printed this week. There are quad Gonks in the SW univerese, although I don't think any have appeared in live action films and shows yet, and they essentially look like normal Gonks, but longer and with four legs (obviously). Mine's going to follow the same basic layout, but I've given it a more modern, technical look, with castellated corners on the main upper and lower body and more inset panels. The lower body looks a bit messy here as it's had a coat of Mr Surfacer and then been sanded down.

51307225380_ff69406f3d_b.jpg

The large opening at the back and the smaller slits on the front and side will have wire mesh panels set behind them to look like cooling vents.

51306216826_f8a937551d_b.jpg

The three holes in the back of the mid band that you can see above are for my favourite addition on this droid. As I'm picturing this droid working in some kind of industrial environment, it's going to need some kind of impact protection so I've given it front and rear bumpers.

51306216756_07de7c1ea6_b.jpg

The rear one has three posts on the back that push straight into the holes on the mid band, while the front one just sits over the front edge. I might add some more side bumpers to the inset rectangles along each side of the mid band as well.

51306411308_5a135a54bb_b.jpg

The other droid I've been working on is a new dome for an astromech unit which I'm going to call an AT unit. I wanted something that was fairly low and flat, rather than the usual round or conical domes. This initial print is something of a test run to see how the design looks, and I'm probably going to go back to Fusion 360 and refine a few areas before doing another print. The dome is designed to mount to a Bandai Astromech, and it's being modelled by R2 here.

51305478182_cffc4b0e47_b.jpg

51307228910_023195e237_b.jpg

51306940789_e48324ac80_b.jpg

I'll continue this thread with the quad Gonk once I've got all the pieces printed, but in the mean time thanks to everyone for following along and for all the suggestions/ideas along the way.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, as promised, I'm going to keep this thread going with the Quad Gonk, most of which is printed now.

51340693416_6c376ac2f3_b.jpg

You've seen the lower body already, and the upper body was originally going to be broadly the same. However, I decided to re-work the design slighty before printing by lowering the centre section and adding the nine round holes that will be plugged with some round, err... plugs. The two slots on the side will have wire mesh behind them, the same as the slots in the lower body. I haven't added the inset channels at either end like the lower body has, but there's a larger inset area on the front with a further recessed panel where the face plate will attach (which is printed, but I haven't got around to photographing yet). The two cutouts on the top will have some sort of detail panels inserted, but I'm still working on those.

As you see it here, it's not yet been sanded so you can still see some print lines on the sides.

51341701925_68cc68e890_b.jpg

These are the plugs which fit into the holes in the top of the uppper body mid section. I'm thinking of these as the tops of power cells that would slide down inside the upper body for charging, and could then be removed to power other equipment. Essentially, this thing is going to be a walking battery charger. There are only eight here instead of the required nine, as the carpet monster dined on one. I've since printed a replacement plus a few spares.

51341702010_4eafe2ee0a_b.jpg

These two little boxes will sit in the recesses on the rear side panels on the upper body. The one on the right has a small chunk out of the base which chipped off when I was removing the print supports. The resin used for printing can be quite brittle when it's cured. Fortunately I printed a few extras of these as well.

51341433869_6f435ee704_b.jpg

You've already seen the front and rear bumpers that will attach to the mid band, although I've now re-pinted the front one with a slightly different design. I've also printed some small shield-like panels that will mount to the recesses that run along the sides of the mid band.

51340693116_d82c3d6270_b.jpg

51341434084_900d9c9447_b.jpg

The feet are a slightly different style to those I used on the previous Gonk, but I'll be attaching them in the same way via the rectangular bocks that drop into holes in the base of the lower body. I'll also be using the same ribbed tubing for the legs.

51340693171_5f55d86b38_b.jpg

So this is what he's looking like temporarily pieced together. Most of the details are only attached with blue tak for now, so everything looks a bit wonky.

51340693046_de9383c520_b.jpg

51341701675_6ec6d78555_b.jpg

51339969722_1819ae5117_b.jpg

Just a few more details to print, then he should be ready to start painting. In the mean time I've been trying out some different colours and markings. Not sure what I'm going with yet, but any suggestions are welcome.

51341702410_8aef28ccdd_b.jpg

51340693666_a34354f5ee_b.jpg

51341702260_3c61247d04_b.jpg

51340915788_c4ee6be99c_b.jpg

• Like 8