Unknown D-day survivor or... floating theatre from Mazovian river

socjo1

Jezioro Zegrzyńskie is dam lake about 20 km North from Warsaw. It is popular place of recreation for many people and base for inland yachtsmen. It is connected with Baltic Sea via Wisła river - over 400 kms by navigable but quite difficult river (it is I belive last great not-regulated Europe's river, I hope it still remain the same) and with a Mazurian Lakes as well.

One of the boat-harbors there is Rynia. We can find there quite strange construction - an old barge.

GvcKJyS.jpg

Barka.thumb.jpg.115f421e8142f57d3fae63b7

dsc01947.preview.jpg

Today the barge is mainly store depot for yacht's parts, equpiment and so on. But its history is quite interesting.

In 50' and 60' years it was floating theatre. Actors performed plays in small villages along the river. These villages were often very poor - without electricity and so on and for villagers it was first contact with art.

fbeedec0-4fc8-4d14-aec6-6b87f9df13e2_280

But it is not all... One of the sailors (and professor as well) from Rynia recently reaserched barge's history. It appeared barge was modified in Płock (name of the town) river shipyard in 50's. When he visited Płock archive he discovered the barge originally was... LCT-2135 built in 1942 by Quincy Barge Builders.

As http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/18/180135.htm  states:

Transferred, 16 November 1942, to the United Kingdom, under the Lend-Lease program HM LCT-2135

Armor plating added in early 1944 in the United Kingdom prior to Reverse Lend-Lease to the US Navy, redesignated LCT(A)-2135

LCT(A)-2135 was assigned to LCT Gunfire Support Group for the Invasion of Normandy

LCT(A)-2135 was returned to the Royal Navy after the Invasion of Normandy

Placed out of service, date unknown

Struck from the Naval Register, date unknown

LCT(A)-2135 earned one battle star for World War II service

Returned, 2 December 1946, to the US State Department, Foreign Liquidation Commission

Sold in June 1947

Final Disposition, fate unknown

1018013502.jpg

LCT(A)-2135 A US Army captain is reading General Eisenhower's address to his armies from the bridge of LCT(A)-2135 as troops and equipment are enroute to Utah Beach, 5 June 1944. LCT-2135 carried 13 jeeps, 6 armored cars, 2 small trucks, 1 tank, and 80 men for to the invasion beaches at Normandy.

1018013505.jpg

LCT(A)-2135 moored at Saas-Van-Ghent, Belgium, date unknown.

In 1950 Polish Navy gained a few ex-allies landing craft: 12 LCP(L), 11 LCT(5) and 3 LCM(5). There were a few ex-german landing vessels too. 

I hope you found this story interesting for me it is absolutely fascinating due to so different, contrast historical and culture dimensions. It is generally unknown in Poland, I found it in newest polish "Polityka" weekly.

https://www.polityka.pl/tygodnikpolityka/historia/2120469,1,niezwykle-dzieje-rynskiej-barki.read

(unfortunantely only in polish).

I found such state about LCT-7074, I think "our" story is similar:

An incredible survivor, LCT is the last remaining Landing Craft Tank from D-Day

Best regards,

Michał.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 3

• socjo1 changed the title to Unknown D-day survivor or... floating theatre from Mazovian river

Thank you for posting this video. 

I do not understand a word of Polish but the story speaks for itself.  To see these villagers laughing and enjoying themselves is a joy.  This barge has significant historical and cultural importance and it is wonderful that the film exists archive and testament to what humans can achieve in the name of artistic endeavour.

• Like 1