Jagdpanzer IV/70(V) - Tamiya 1/35

Hello everyone. Here's Tamiya's re-tooled Panzer IV/70(V) tank destroyer, built out of the box, which includes two excellent crew figures. Construction is very straightforward, of course, but the factory applied camouflage scheme proved slightly more challenging. I used Tamiya and Vallejo paints, with oils, pigments and weathering pencils for a bit of subtle weathering. I wanted to capture the look of a newly issued vehicle in the autumn of 1944. 

spacer.png  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All the best,

Ian

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Very nice Ian! Great camo👍Free hand or masking? 
ciao Filippo

Thanks Filippo. I sprayed it freehand using my H&S Infinity airbrush with a 0.15 needle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks really great!

I really liked the figures.

Vytautas

Many thanks Vytautas. The camouflage smocks were a bit tricky, but Tamiya supply a useful colour painting guide for the 'swamp' pattern material. First time I've tried painting one of those!

Beautiful. And one of the German vehicles in my top list...

I suspect you used the technique of mixing some base yellow with the T green and T brown? This usually gives great results. Sure looks that way.

And I like the way you choose to colour the wheels: monocolour.

Edited by Steben
addition
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, IanC said:

I wanted to capture the look of a newly issued vehicle in the autumn of 1944. 

And you have. Nice clean build, with excellent paint job on the figures.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2021 at 11:29 AM, Steben said:

Beautiful. And one of the German vehicles in my top list...

I suspect you used the technique of mixing some base yellow with the T green and T brown? This usually gives great results. Sure looks that way.

And I like the way you choose to colour the wheels: monocolour.

Many thanks. I used Tamiya's new Dark Yellow 2 and Dark Green 2, with their old Red Brown. No mixing, although I did think about giving it a very dilute spray of buff or dark yellow to lessen the contrast between colours. In the end I just dirtied them slightly with the weathering.

These later jagdpanzers were factory painted, of course, and the wheels seemed to have been given a single colour that varied according to the overall camo scheme. Late production vehicles were probably mostly green rather than dark yellow. Its very difficult to deduce from photos, and there seems little consistency. I copied Tamiya's interpretation for mine.

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IanC said:

Many thanks. I used Tamiya's new Dark Yellow 2 and Dark Green 2, with their old Red Brown. No mixing, although I did think about giving it a very dilute spray of buff or dark yellow to lessen the contrast between colours. In the end I just dirtied them slightly with the weathering.

These later jagdpanzers were factory painted, of course, and the wheels seemed to have been given a single colour that varied according to the overall camo scheme. Late production vehicles were probably mostly green rather than dark yellow. Its very difficult to deduce from photos, and there seems little consistency. I copied Tamiya's interpretation for mine.

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment. 

I think dark yellow 2 and dark green 2 are indeed a better match for the scale. The first ones usually got some buff and some mixing to achieve the same.

• Like 1