Buccaneer wingtip question

Hi,

I have Xtradecal sheet 72308 for the new Airfix kit and I was planning on making either XN981 from 208 sqn in 1983, or XV869 of 208 in 1981. Can anybody tell me which wingtips would be correct? I have read that the Buccaneer S2 reverted to the shorter S1 wingtips after the Gulf war in some references, but others say it was after the crash in 1980 that resulted in the aircraft being rebuilt. The instructions aren't clear on this.

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart

Thanks Andre,

It's a very useful tread , especially on the underwing serials, However, it doesn't confirm the timescale for the changeover of wingtip. Was this done immediately following the return to flight after the fatigue issue? Or was it later on as a result of further research, and if so. when?

Stuart

According to Buccaneer by Tim Laming.

7th February 1980 XV345 crashed in Nevada. Source of in flight breakup of starboard wing traced to cracking of inner wing spar.

6 months later buccaneers slowly returned to flight status.

”it was also suggested that the s2’s larger wing tip fairings be replaced by the shorter S1-style tip in order to remove the source of additional stress, and some aircraft where suitably modified, but not by any means the entire fleet.”

• Like 1