The Black Devil

Greetings 109 Fans!

My build will be the G-10 flown by Erich Hartmann of JG52. I am building the 1/32 Revell kit, which if the aftermarket available for this model is correct, means theres more than a few inaccuracies. Looking at the Big H i could end up spending loads og dosh correcting most aspects of the kit. However, being a tightwad, i will be saving my cash and building it OOTB. 

To accompany my build and providing inspiration i am reading the biography by Toliver & Constable, which is rather dramatically titled "The Blond Knight of Germany". Hartmann and the 109go hand in hand as its the only type he ever flew in combat. Between 1942 & 1945 he amassed an incredible 352 victories in the air, which has been debated by historians/academics ever since. 

I won't be starting the model straightaway as i have an ongoing build in the Under a Tenner GB. TFL,

Cheers Greg

51220589335_bc1e981b11_z.jpg

51220283524_549a37c5e6_z.jpg

51218803387_2d06013f86_z.jpg

• Like 11

Look forward to this Greg. I'd love to do a few 1/32 builds but that I'll have to amend the nuptial agreement before going ahead (there's no space), so I'll be happy just watching this build. BTW what is the size of this, wingspan and fuselage? 

• Like 1

Great choice Greg

I built one of these a few years back and used the Alley cat correction set on it . Was it worth it ,i cant say but it did make a tricky kit even more tricky . I recon it will look just fine OOB .

Looking forward to your start

Cheers Alistair

• Like 1

Even without a case-load of corrective parts I'm sure this will come out looking grand in your capable hands Greg :) 

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 7:52 AM, Walter said:

Look forward to this Greg. I'd love to do a few 1/32 builds but that I'll have to amend the nuptial agreement before going ahead (there's no space), so I'll be happy just watching this build. BTW what is the size of this, wingspan and fuselage? 

On 6/2/2021 at 8:06 AM, Mottlemaster said:

Great choice Greg

I built one of these a few years back and used the Alley cat correction set on it . Was it worth it ,i cant say but it did make a tricky kit even more tricky . I recon it will look just fine OOB .

Looking forward to your start

Cheers Alistair

On 6/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, Col. said:

Even without a case-load of corrective parts I'm sure this will come out looking grand in your capable hands Greg :) 

Gents thank you for your comments 👍 very much appreciated. 

Walter, the model measures 284mms in length with a 310m m wing span. 

I'm looking forward to getting started shortly. 

Cheers Greg🍺

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Greg,

Great subject - a truly iconic 109.

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I'm surprised no one else is doing a Hartmann 109, he flew a few different variants in various schemes. 

Cheers Greg 👍

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looking forward this build !!

I was finally able to locate the G6 on Amazon, but the others just can't be found, here. 

Thanks Longbow,

I got this kit when it was first released, and have a copy of the G6 as well. 

I will be starting soon.

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 1

When I was at uni  between 1967 and 1971 I went through a phase of building the Revell 1/32 kits. I did a Seafire, Zero, Corsair, Thunderbolt, Hurricane and a Bf109 - all are long gone though one of the Thunderbolt drop tanks is masquerading as a "Grand Slam" under one of my Lancaster conversions still. Looking at Scalemates then the 109 would seem to have either been an F or G, so I will watch this with both interest and some fond memories.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

When I was at uni  between 1967 and 1971 I went through a phase of building the Revell 1/32 kits. I did a Seafire, Zero, Corsair, Thunderbolt, Hurricane and a Bf109 - all are long gone though one of the Thunderbolt drop tanks is masquerading as a "Grand Slam" under one of my Lancaster conversions still. Looking at Scalemates then the 109 would seem to have either been an F or G, so I will watch this with both interest and some fond memories.

Pete

Hi Pete,

This is a recent tooling, and very different from the old range of Revell 1/32 kits. I hope it will still be of interest despite its youth!

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all,

Well i have finally got the show on the road with this one. I finished the book a couple of weeks back but took longer than i expected with my Storch on the Under a tenner GB. 

The book was....informative but not particularly well written. Reading reviews it has been the subject of much controversy since it s release in 1970, and is criticized for being political given it was released at the height of the cold war, and was mostly anti-Russian. Taking it at face value you learn something of the man himself, who appears to have been a decent if outspoken individual. I will leave it at that.

So on to the model. So far i have completed the well detailed cockpit and goten the fuselage buttoned up. I am now in the throes of assembling the wings which has an unconvetional approach, and not one i am particularly enjoying. Alignment of the various components is key, and i have gone astray in places. However progress is being made and the kit is not at all bad.

More soon i hope as i am off work this week.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers Greg

51274383274_39dc0ceb52_z.jpg

51272907472_6c11dba78a_z.jpg

51272907432_fa3240a736_z.jpg

51272907407_177d9371f6_z.jpg

51274685325_673e84f801_z.jpg

• Like 14

9 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I will leave it at that.

If you want to keep the controversy going read Rudel's "Stuka Pilot",

Your build is shaping up nicely. !/32 Hartmann aircraft is going to look quite special on display.

Ray

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray_W said:

If you want to keep the controversy going read Rudel's "Stuka Pilot",

Your build is shaping up nicely. !/32 Hartmann aircraft is going to look quite special on display.

Ray

Hi Ray, 

Thanks for the comments. I haven't read Stuka Pilot yet, but I'm aware of Rudel's story, which is very much outspoken to say the least. 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wayne 0 said:

Coming along nicely Greg.

I notice that it has the same type of construction as the G-6, which I have 3/4 complete.

Unusual, but provides good detail in the wheel bays.

Hi Wayne,

Generally speaking the kit has a nice level of detail. I'm just not a fan of the wing construction sequence. I found the wheel well boxing snarled up the attachment of the upper wing sections, and was a fiddle to get to fit cleanly. I managed it in the end though and accept part of the problem was aligning the various components accurately. 

I am nearing the paint stage now having completed all the flaps. 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 3

Afternoon from a very wet Inverness!

We haven't had any real rain for about 2 weeks so i guess its overdue, and allows me to get on with my Gustav!

I have commenced painting, and as a brush painter 1/32 presents a very large canvass to work with. I did the light blue first followed by the grey then green coats. Mottling has been done but i am not finished with it yet. Next i am going to attempt the decals preceeded by a gloss coat. I am not looking forward to the tulip design as they are individual "petals".

TFL 

Cheers Greg

51289012573_a6b1419cb6_z.jpg

51289856215_48a44945b4_z.jpg

51288093592_1279508d51_z.jpg

51289856235_88ebfc2348_z.jpg

51289856220_12b9ae7050_z.jpg

51289856205_4f93e68f2c_z.jpg

• Like 11

Greg,

What a big, beautiful kit. A very nice build and finish you have going. Your G-10 must be nervous with that Spitfire at 4 O'Clock. 

Ray

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Greg,

What a big, beautiful kit. A very nice build and finish you have going. Your G-10 must be nervous with that Spitfire at 4 O'Clock. 

Ray

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Some very nice work here Greg, you have done a great job on the assembly especially the complicated wings.

You have also done a really nice job on the painting and the weathering on the undersides is very nice indeed.

Thanks Ray and Craig👍

I am pleased you like what I have accomplished so far. Currently I am attempting the tulip decals around the nose. They are a bit thick but seem to be settling down with lots of micro sol and decalfix. 

More soon 

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 2

Good progress Greg :thumbsup:

I didn't realise you were an Invernesian right enough. Seems we've been under the same blanket of cloud :rain:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Col. said:

Good progress Greg :thumbsup:

I didn't realise you were an Invernesian right enough. Seems we've been under the same blanket of cloud :rain:

Cheers Col👍

just an adopted Invernesian, I've lived here for 21 years but I originate from Fife and arrived  via East Lothian😀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

just an adopted Invernesian, I've lived here for 21 years but I originate from Fife and arrived  via East Lothian😀

Quite cosmopolitan then :D Shame all the model shops that used to exist along the A96 in Inverness, Nairn, Elgin, and Aberdeen are gone now though :( 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Quite cosmopolitan then :D Shame all the model shops that used to exist along the A96 in Inverness, Nairn, Elgin, and Aberdeen are gone now though :( 

Yeah,   the shop in Nairn was a good one, it now sells wedding dresses! 

I especially miss Junners in Elgin and spent a lot of lunch times there before it closed. All that's left is Hobbycraft in Inverness, and they are over priced 😟

• Sad 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:21 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Yeah,   the shop in Nairn was a good one, it now sells wedding dresses! 

I especially miss Junners in Elgin and spent a lot of lunch times there before it closed. All that's left is Hobbycraft in Inverness, and they are over priced 😟

Junners was great! Always some temptation in there :D Sadly the Aberdeen branch of Hobbycraft is also overpriced and their shelves almost barren now. Models Unlimited here in Inverurie has been closed since the beginning of Lockdown but will hopefully re-open in the future.

• Like 1