Minion-schmitt number 1, Emil goes to Africa. Finished!

Your 109 is looking really good Craig, a smashing scheme, :thumbsup:  I have never built a 109 in desert colours before so I'm looking forward to it, I'll see if I can find one with a yellow nose.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Your 109 is looking really good Craig, a smashing scheme, :thumbsup:  I have never built a 109 in desert colours before so I'm looking forward to it, I'll see if I can find one with a yellow nose.

Cheers Bob, there are a few that were used in the desert with yellow noses to one extent or another, if I remember rightly it includes both E's and F's.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Bob, there are a few that were used in the desert with yellow noses to one extent or another, if I remember rightly it includes both E's and F's.

I found this one that ticks all the boxes, RLM 78/79 camouflage, yellow nose and a lion cartoon which I just happen to have.

IMG_1651

These Cartograph decals are in 3 scales, 1/32nd, 1/48th and 1/72nd.  They come with the Kagero book on Mediterranean Bf 109s

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I found this one that ticks all the boxes

It most certainly does doesn't it, that is a cracking scheme and has the white wingtips which my build lacks.

The Kagero books are pretty good aren't they, somehow the Mediterranean 109 one has not found it's way into my stash yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The Kagero books are pretty good aren't they, somehow the Mediterranean 109 one has not found it's way into my stash yet.

I do like the Kagero books, I have quite a few of them in my "library" I just wish they included some photos of the subjects, it's always a good thing to check what they've made a profile from.  The profile I  posted above (from: Luftwaffe Colours, Desert War) for example shows it with the armoured panel fitted to the windscreen, but a photo of it shows that it didn't have one. :shrug:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

but a photo of it shows that it didn't have one.

Proving why a photo is worth a hundred profiles, some I have seen only bear a passing resemblance to pictures of the actual aircraft.

Could it be possible that the armoured windscreen panel was added at a later date?

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Could it be possible that the armoured windscreen panel was added at a later date?

On another thread on this GB someone mentioned that the armoured windscreen panels were rarely fitted because the fine sand/dust got trapped behind it ruining the pilots visibility.

There are two photos showing partial shots of this aircraft, they confirm the camouflage, yellow nose, JG 27 badges and the cartoon lion but no armoured windscreen panel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

On another thread on this GB someone mentioned that the armoured windscreen panels were rarely fitted because the fine sand/dust got trapped behind it ruining the pilots visibility.

That makes a lot of sense, that stuff gets absolutely everywhere! Go with the pictures Bob.

• Like 1

I have got her finished, the last little bits always seem to take me ages, not helped by having a couple of rough days.

The lighting conditions are far from ideal at the minute (it is Summer in England after all) so I shall take some pics tomorrow when it will hopefully be better.

• Like 2

Well with a new day comes a slight improvement in the light, we have light grey clouds today as opposed to yesterday's dark grey clouds so the camera has come out to play to show off the finished item, so without further ado here are some pics on her;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this build from start to finish and whilst this is not as detailed or refined a kit as the Eduard one I think that it still builds up into a good representation of the real thing. The decals all worked very well and were a mix of the Airfix ones for the stencils and the Xtradecal ones for the national markings, JG27 badge and chevron.

A huge thank you to Col for proposing and hosting this GB and to all of you who have popped in during the build process and offered your opinions and advice and "liked" my posts along the way. I shall get some pics up in the gallery too. Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 18

• modelling minion changed the title to Minion-schmitt number 1, Emil goes to Africa. Finished!

Hi Craig,

Sorry I wasn't tagging along. Missed the build but love the result. I really like the weathering and variation in the paint.  Excellent work.

Ray

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Really nice desert 109 Craig, looks great. :thumbsup: 

Cheers Bob, I look forward to your desert F joining her in the gallery.

9 hours ago, Roberto said:

Very nice, I really like your work!

Thank you Roberto, I really appreciate that.

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

Sorry I wasn't tagging along. Missed the build but love the result. I really like the weathering and variation in the paint.  Excellent work.

Ray

Cheers Ray, no worries mate as there is so much good work going on in this GB (and others) it is difficult to keep up with everything.

5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Fantastic result Craig 👍

I too really like the Airfix kit, goes together well and look s the part.

Well done mate 🍺

Cheers Greg, much appreciated.

I do like this kit and this will not be my last one.

29 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

Looks great Craig, the paintwork is really impressive. Top job 👏 

Steve

Thanks Steve, really kind of you to say so.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Rib Man said:

Craig.  That looks amazing!  I really like the desert scheme.  Great work.

Thanks, it is a very attractive if simple scheme, there will be more Med/Africa based 109's in the future.

7 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

She's turned out very well indeed, sir.  A cracking build, excellent paintwork and some tasty weathering.

Cheers, very kind of you to say so.

Organising GBs is always made worthwhile when seeing everyone enjoying the opportunity to build kits and producing such great models. Cracking result Craig :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this one, I really love what you have done to it👍👍👍

The wheatering is just perfect 👌 

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan, I am really glad that you enjoyed this one, I enjoyed building it.

49 minutes ago, Col. said:

Organising GBs is always made worthwhile when seeing everyone enjoying the opportunity to build kits and producing such great models. Cracking result Craig :goodjob:

Cheers Col, yes I really enjoyed this one and am enjoying the GB, there are some great models being built here, thanks again for proposing and hosting it mate.

Great work Craig

Youve made the Airfix kit scrub up very nicely. I’ll definitely be putting this colour scheme on my to build list. 

James 

• Thanks 1