Minion-schmitt number 1, Emil goes to Africa. Finished!

55 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Excellent work Graig Are you going to rescribe the top and bottom fuselage longitudinal panel lines?

Cheers Alistair, yes I am in the process of sorting the panel lines that have been either removed or reduced by sanding.

• Like 3

Just a small update, the front and rear canopy pieces have been masked and fixed in place and the gap in between masked with tape. I have also sprayed some aluminium in areas where I will do some weathering by carefully sanding back the top colours.

spacer.png

Next up will be to spray some RLM 78 on the undersides, maybe later today.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 16

How did I miss this?!  I'm building the same kit and although it's not perfect I think it's a great great kit for the money and it builds very well indeed.  I'll follow your build with interest.  It's coming along very well, by the look of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

Looking good Craig. Will be nice to see it with some paint on. 

James

Thanks James, I have got a coat of 78 on the undersides which is drying (shouldn't take long today!) and then I will use a lighter mix or possibly some thin 65 to break up the monotone that is there at the minute.

5 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

How did I miss this?!  I'm building the same kit and although it's not perfect I think it's a great great kit for the money and it builds very well indeed.  I'll follow your build with interest.  It's coming along very well, by the look of it.

Thanks, very happy to have you along. I agree that the kit is good value for money, especially as you can build all variants of the Emil from any of the boxings.

• Like 2

With the Mossie finished I was able to complete the undersides. As I said previously I had already sprayed a coat of RLM 78 on everything but wanted to get rid of the monotone of the single colour by giving a random spray of a lighter colour, I have done this by using a thin mix of RLM 65 which has had the desired effect which hopefully you can see in the picture below;

spacer.png

It doesn't show up brilliantly on the camera, hopefully its clearer in this closer shot;

spacer.png

Next job will be some masking in preparation for the RLM 79 on the upper surfaces.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 13

With my Mossie completed and out of the way I have decided to concentrate on getting Emil finished first before I start on Friedrich so I have got a fair bit done on her paint wise in the past 24 hours. I started by masking off the undersides and applying the RLM 79 over the upper surfaces, I did this by applying the paint in more, and therefore darker, layers over the edges of panels and on some of the removable hatches. When this was dry I masked off the areas for the yellow nose and white theatre band on the fuselage in front of the tail. When that was dry I started the weathering by applying a thin mix of dark earth to the panel lines on the upper surfaces and a mid grey on the undersides and the yellow nose, I also gently sanded the 79 where I wanted there to be wear and where I had sprayed the aluminium previously and that is where she is at as of now as you can see below;

spacer.png

Sorry about the slightly blurry picture, hopefully this closer look at some of the weathering will be better and give you an idea of what was done;

spacer.png

I shall be putting a gloss coat on her next in preparation for the decals and then more weathering.

Craig.

• Like 19

42 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Smashing job craig, the airfix kit looks pretty good built up, nice scheme too👍

Cheers Glynn, its not a bad kit at all mate, certainly worth considering.

I have got the decals on and done most of the weathering today, hopefully I will get some pictures up tomorrow.

• Like 1

As promised here are some pics of how the current minion-schmitt is looking prior to her receiving a coat of matt varnish this evening.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a closer look at the wing root area so that hopefully you can see the weathering and exhaust staining a bit better.

spacer.png

After the matt coating it will be time to remove the masking from the canopy and get cracking on the undercarriage and prop.

Craig.

• Like 13

That's looking absolutely fantastic Craig :thumbsup:

I love what you've done with the weathering of the the yellow paint on the nose and around the air filter as well as the exhaust smoke staining - just makes it look so realistic.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Kris

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

That's looking absolutely fantastic Craig :thumbsup:

I love what you've done with the weathering of the the yellow paint on the nose and around the air filter as well as the exhaust smoke staining - just makes it look so realistic.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Kris

Cheers Kris,

I am enjoying this kit a lot, it might not be the best but it builds nicely.

I have been wanting to build a JG27 Emil for a while as I really like desert schemes.

• Like 1

That is a beautiful job you have done there Craig . The weathering looks realistic .Seriously theres nothing not to like . Im miles behind with my Airfix builds but inspired to press on by yours

cheers Alistair

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

That is a beautiful job you have done there Craig . The weathering looks realistic .Seriously theres nothing not to like . Im miles behind with my Airfix builds but inspired to press on by yours

cheers Alistair

Thanks mate, thats very much appreciated.

To be fair to yourself you are building a lot more than I am.

Just un-masked the main canopy to find that it is completely buggered due to some Tamiya extra thin running along the inside when I fitted the armour, not good. I think I have another in the stash though that I can rob the centre section from, will just need to build it as an E-3 or earlier, also happen to have accidentally ordered some decals for Romanian Emils today and some of the had the earlier rounded canopy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mottlemaster said:

Well I just happen to have 4 spare centre sections if you want one pm me your details and I Will pop it in the post

That is very kind of you mate but I should be alright by using the section from my other kit, assuming of course that I don't mess that one up as well!

Hi, as has been said before, the desert Emil look s great!

The RLM 79 all over really suits, particularly with the yellow cowl.

Nice exhaust staining and weathering too btw.

Great work,  good luck with the canopy.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

That looks really good Craig. The chipping effects are really effective.

Steve

Cheers Steve, I take it very slowly when sanding back the top coat, I feel its one of those cases of "less is more" as far as chipping is concerned although there are exceptions.

16 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi, as has been said before, the desert Emil look s great!

The RLM 79 all over really suits, particularly with the yellow cowl.

Nice exhaust staining and weathering too btw.

Great work,  good luck with the canopy.

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, I am really glad that you like it so far.

I shall take my time with the canopy and try not to stuff this one up, or I might need one of the replacements so kindly offered by Alastair.😄

• Like 2