Minion-schmitt number 1, Emil goes to Africa. Finished!

As I have to pay Col reparations for pulling out of the Hellcat GB due to a lack of kit I have decided that I shall build a couple of 109's in this GB even though I hadn't signed up for it. Having checked the stash it would seem that I like 109's more than I thought, having some Airfix 1/48 E's, a Hasegawa E, an ICM F-4, a Zvezda F-4, and around 5 Eduard G's of various marks, and quite a few decal sheets to go with them including one on it's way from Hannants which will be making an appearance in part 2.

Back to part one, Emil goes to Africa!

I have a long held interest in the MTO and especially the air war and as such built quite a few desert camouflaged 109's over the years and a G-10 from the ANR but if I remember correctly (never certain) all my Luftwaffe ones have been in the scheme with the green mottling on the upper surfaces so for this one I am going to do something slightly different and build one of the E-7's used by JG-27 which was re-painted in the later scheme as applied to their F's, namely RLM-79 uppersurfaces over RLM-78 with a very low demarcation line as flown by Oberleutnant Ludwig Franzisket who was the Gruppen Adjutant of 1/JG-27, it looks like this;

spacer.png

The profile, and others I have seen of the aircraft don't show white under the wing tips and I am unsure of whether this is correct or not.

The kit I will be using is the Airfix 1/48 kit which can be built as any version of E straight from the box.

spacer.png

The as yet untouched parts;

spacer.png

And one of my decal sheets that I shall be cobbling together the markings from;

spacer.png

Should be able to get what I want from that.

I shall be making a start this tomorrow hopefully, assuming I can escape garden duty now it has stopped raining. The only additions I shall be making is the use of etched seat belts to replace the badly moulded on ones provided by Airfix.

I shall also be getting up a thread for part 2, which will be at the other temperature extreme!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 23

Hi Craig

I'm a little way into this Airfix kit and must say its a pretty good parts fit , The locating pins in along the fuselage are rather tight but after drilling out the female side just a smidg it goes together like a snap shut kit .

I had to drill out the locating holes in the trim wheels but so far that is it .

Nice choice of markings  so as its sandy I will pull up a deck chair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Hi Craig

I'm a little way into this Airfix kit and must say its a pretty good parts fit , The locating pins in along the fuselage are rather tight but after drilling out the female side just a smidg it goes together like a snap shut kit .

I had to drill out the locating holes in the trim wheels but so far that is it .

Nice choice of markings  so as its sandy I will pull up a deck chair.

Thanks Alastair, a couple of very useful tips there that I shall use on by build.

Plenty of room for your deck chair in the sand, and others should they care to join you.

Hi Craig,

It seems the Airfix kit is a popular choice for this Gb. 

I have built a couple and thoroughly enjoyed them . I will look out for your progress. 

Cheers Greg🍺

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Craig,

It seems the Airfix kit is a popular choice for this Gb. 

I have built a couple and thoroughly enjoyed them . I will look out for your progress. 

Cheers Greg🍺

Cheers Greg, always a pleasure to have you along for a build.

Whilst not as detailed as the Eduard kit it isn't bad at all and apart from the inserts on the wings for the cannon or machine guns is a pretty good fitting kit.

• Like 1

Nice subject choice Craig B)  A unique one as well if you're creating the markings from various sources most likely :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Nice choice Craig. 

It’s always good to see a ‘sandy’ 109. 

Im guessing you’re of to the steppes of Russia for your other build?  

James 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice subject choice Craig B)  A unique one as well if you're creating the markings from various sources most likely :thumbsup:

Cheers Col, got to make the lack of Hellcat up to you mate.

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

I will watch with interest as I will be building the 1/72 Airfix E-7.

Pete

Thanks Pete, good to have you on board.

4 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice choice Craig. 

It’s always good to see a ‘sandy’ 109. 

Im guessing you’re of to the steppes of Russia for your other build?  

James 

Thanks James, yes mate you are correct the second build will be a from the Russian front, a Hungarian F-4 in a Winter camo scheme. I shall get a post up for it when my decals arrive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually managed to make a start on Emil today, I have started by building up the cockpit and giving it and the cockpit area of the fuselage a coat of RLM-02;

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am hoping that a wash and some weathering will help to both bring out some details and make it look a bit better.

The wings have been assembled, complete with ill fitting inserts for the cannons. These have had one application of filler which was the sanded back but it needs another dose of filler which will be sanded back later. The wheel wells and area for the leading edge slats were given a coat of 02 at the same time as the cockpit area. Here is the wing:

spacer.png

And a closer look at the cannon insert complete with it's second application of filler;

spacer.png

The slats themselves were removed as carefully as possible from Airfix's truly monumental sprue gates and their insides also got the 02 treatment and the kit seat had it's moulded on harness scraped and sanded away in preparation for the etched harness and the hole in the back of the seat for the harness cut into it;

spacer.png

Next job will be finishing off the cockpit in readiness for the fuselage being closed up.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 14

Nice work Craig👍

Th a Airfix kit is not as sharp or complete as other modern tooling but I reckon it's good for the money.The 109 tub is hard to see much of once the fuse is buttoned up. 

Crack on 😁

• Thanks 1

Well cracking on has carried on as per Greg's instructions and we are definitely moving towards getting something a lot more Messerschmitt shaped. The cockpit has been finished including the seat and a wash and some light weathering has been done too. Although the Airfix kit isn't as detailed as the Eduard one when the fuselage halves are closed up not a huge amount is actually visible so I haven't added anything extra than what is provided in the kit. Here are a some pics of the cockpit interior;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The instrument panel is also straight from the kit with some paint slapped on it;

spacer.png

And then the cockpit was added to one half of the fuselage;

spacer.png

Sorry about the clarity of the last picture but you get the idea.

I am now in the process of closing up the fuselage halves and once that is done and the joints sorted it will be time to get the wings on. I need to get cracking as the postie delivered all the components for number 2 have turned up!

Craig.

• Like 15

Hi Craig

Looking good . I drilled out the female lugs on the fuselage and got an almost invisable join ,even with out glue . This can be such a good fitting kit with a smidge of fettling .

Cheers Alistair

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mottlemaster said:

Hi Craig

Looking good . I drilled out the female lugs on the fuselage and got an almost invisable join ,even with out glue . This can be such a good fitting kit with a smidge of fettling .

Cheers Alistair

Thanks Alistair, yes with a bit of forethought you can get a very nice fitting model, and we are modellers not assemblers!

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

Tidy work Craig. I'm not noticing the lack of Hellcat one bit. For the moment... :wicked:

Cheers Col, I had best keep you happy and distracted then.😄

• Like 1

Fuselage seams dealt with by just sanding and the wings and engine cover are now attached and they are a good fit too. I have has to apply a small amount of filler at the rear of the wing centre section joint and at the front of the wings, there is a small amount of sanding needed where the wings join the fuselage but no filler is required. Here are a couple of pictures of how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

So it is out with the sanding sticks now!

Craig.

• Like 14