Tamiya 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6

Good evening mates,

I'll join this STGB with new Tamiya kit.

I haven't decided yet whether I will use decals from the kit, or some aftermarket, let the choice fall a bit later...

bf-109g-6-tam-001.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

Good evening S and welcome to the party :) This kit looks fo be a great one so perhaps it won't be too long before you're choosing that scheme :lol:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I've finally started with glueing some parts :)

Believe it or not, this kit is actually my FIRST Tamiya kit ever on the workbench, and not surprisingly I'm fascinated with fitting of parts - it really is "shake'n'bake" kit - every tiny part just "clicks" on its place! :D 

Tamiya gave instruments as decals and I will use them after painting of instrument panel.

My AB compressor is under little repair work at the moment - air chamber got a small hole due to corrosion probably, so I've "patched" it with Bison Epoxy metal - I expect to start using AB in few days...

Seatbelts were also given as decals, but I plan to use Extratech PE generic german belts instead.

Regarding to painting scheme, I've decided to do the boxart example - JG51 bird that was stationed in Radomir, Bulgaria.

bf-109g-6-tam-002.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not writing so long - was being busy with Boomerang in Texan STGB :) 

@Col. Compressor is up and running well for few weeks already - everything turned out well with repair - Bison Epoxy Metal is really great stuff!

In the meantime, I've painted and detailed cockpit, and now it's ready for further assembling, so more photos to arrive soon :) 

bf-109g-6-tam-003.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 10

Some more progress today - fuselage halves are glued together, and also cowling halves.

Cockpit is assembled also - it will be glued to the fuselage soon, I have to sand away few minor joins on nose and tail area.

I've drilled exhaust pipes with modelling knife in order for them to look more realistic...

bf-109g-6-tam-004.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-005.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Gustav is now basically ready for primering - only to mask cockpit and landing gear.

Landing gear is, like all of this kit, engineered to be assembled like LEGO :) - everything fits perfectly, BUT, as landing gear legs roots are having strong fit into the wings, and are being masked with bottom fuselage panel, they MUST be fitted before final painting, which I don't prefer, but it is like it is, so there will be a bit more careful masking around this area...

In few days I plan start of painting process, beginning with primer and preshading... these days is a real hell on Balkans regarding to temperatures, so it's pretty annoying and tiring to work anything of scalemodelling :( 

bf-109g-6-tam-006.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-007.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-008.jpg

Spinner is already painted into RLM 70, while I chose to paint that 1/4 of it into white instead of using given decal - on reference photos spinner is seen to have soft edges of white area, which isn't case with decal, so I again used Ammo Scratches Chipping fluid to make a little worn-out look...

bf-109g-6-tam-009.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 9

Hi S,

impressive work so far. I love your attention to details.

JR

• Thanks 1

Today I've sprayed white on lower cowling, gun bulges on upper cowling as a "primer" for Yellow RLM 04, and also white surfaces on lower tips of wings and on tail area...

bf-109g-6-tam-013.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-014.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-015.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

Thanks @Johnson I'm glad you find it purposeful :) 

During the weekend, I've done the camouflage - RLM74/75/76 - lightened a bit with white color for middle parts of panels to give it more weathered and used look...

bf-109g-6-tam-018.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-019.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-020.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-021.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-022.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-023.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-024.jpg

In a couple of days I'll give it a gloss coat as a preparation for decals...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 3

Thanks @Col. but, I did a small mistake, I've noticed this today - fairings beetween fuselage and wings are to be in upper cammo color - RLM74/75, while I followed Tamiya painting manual, and left them in RLM76 😳 

So I will repaint those parts in a short notice, just waiting gloss coat to cure a bit.. it will be a bit tricky because of already applied decals and mottles, but hopefully everything turns out OK in the end...

Cheers,

S.

Hi,

outstanding model.

Congratulations. It will look stunning when finished!

JR

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've repainted fairings beetween wings and fuselage, did the wash (artistic oils) and weathering with MIG pigments after final coat of varnish

All in all, enjoying build - Tamiya's Bf is a real masterpiece of engineering!

On to the photos... :) 

bf-109g-6-tam-030.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-031.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-032.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-033.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-034.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-035.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-036.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-037.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-038.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-039.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-040.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-041.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-042.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-043.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-044.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-045.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-046.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-047.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-048.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-049.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-050.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-051.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-052.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-053.jpg

bf-109g-6-tam-054.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 9

Hi Srkirad,

Wonderful work in the "one true scale".  Good enough for 1/32. One of my favourites as posted in the gallery. So many elements that are exceptional but I especially like that spinner.

Ray

• Thanks 1