Bf109E-1 - 'Wanderzirkus Janke'

Hi folks,

So we're off!  I've been keeping an eye on the builds that everyone has been offering up for this STGB and there are some real crackers.  I'm already following loads of builds as I can't wait to see the final results - it's already shaping up to be a really interesting and varied GB :thumbsup:

I'm off the starting block and throwing my hat in to the ring with the following (cue obligatory box art):

DSC01002

I already have a busy bench for GB's, with my Skyhawk 99% complete for the STGB and have made a good start on the Type 82E for the Unarmed GB but how can you not get involved in a 109 GB - that would just be wrong wouldn't it??

So as you can see, this is the Bf109E-1 from Eduard in 1/48 scale.  I've also managed to acquire the Eduard PE set for this so I could add further details and spruce up the cockpit etc (it is a GB after all)!

DSC01000

The sprues (below) are well moulded with excellent details already so they should be a pleasure to work with:

DSC00995

DSC00994

DSC00996

DSC00997

DSC01001

And the decals look to be well printed with a full set of stencils too to add some extra details:

DSC00998

Lastly, the kit offers two available schemes - Scheme A - I./JG 77 - Juliusburg, Germany, August 1939

DSC01005

or Scheme B - 9./JG 26 - Essen-Mühlheim, Germany, May 1940

DSC01006

I've opted for Scheme A - part of Johnannes Janke's 'Travelling Circus' or Wanderzirkus Janke.  I really love the earlier RLM 70/71 splinter camouflage on the 109 and with the additional red elements of the markings, it just really seems to catch the eye.

So here goes - I'm really looking forward to this GB so a big thanks to @Col. for being the host :thanks:

Good luck everyone 

Kris

• Like 18

Nice subject choice Kris B) Don't know about anyone else but a 109E in 'Scheme B' is the stereotype I think of for the type so it's great to see the earlier and darker scheme getting some attention.

Remember though I'm only a small part of the hosting team ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Col.

I agree - Scheme B often seems to be the 'stereotypical' marking of choice for said 109 which was even more of an impetus for me to go for the 70/71 splinter scheme.  Let's just hope I manage to do it justice.

And apologies - I wasn't meaning to leave anyone out - big thanks to @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @vppelt68 and @Enzo Matrix also for your contribution to the GB too :thumbsup:

Kris

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Prenton said:

Looking forward to this!  Now,  where's that popcorn?     Aah, there it is...🍿

Philip

Thanks for coming along for the ride.  Although by saying you're looking forward to the build means the pressure is on to try and deliver for you. Fingers crossed I do it justice :fingerscrossed:

Great to have you on board

Kris

18 hours ago, The Rib Man said:

Kris,

I like the idea of your binder with the paint scheme pages.  That is a cool idea.  Scheme 1 should look great.  I like the full splinter design.

RM

Thanks RM.

Yeah the binder idea was something I picked up a while ago which I definitely recommend.  I put separate pages of the instructions into plastic wallets and then into the folder so I can come and go as I please and chop and change between instructions and keep them all to hand in one place - works a treat.

I love the splinter camo scheme so let's hope it works out well :fingerscrossed:

Kris

Very nice choice Kris, the early E scheme with all over 70/71 is a very smart looking scheme so its great that you have chosen that one to build. The Airfix boxing I am using for my Africa based model also has a very similar scheme and I plan to build that one at some time, not in this GB before anyone asks!

Thanks Craig - seems like I've chosen a popular scheme - the splinter camo - so at least that's a positive start 👍 

Looking forward to the progress on your 'Emil goes to Africa' build - always think Luftwaffe aircraft looked particularly smart in their African colour schemes.  A personal favourite of mine are the 'F' Variant 109's where their shape really seems to suit the RLM 79 paint schemes (not sure why) :hmmm:

Kris

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks Craig - seems like I've chosen a popular scheme - the splinter camo - so at least that's a positive start 👍 

Looking forward to the progress on your 'Emil goes to Africa' build - always think Luftwaffe aircraft looked particularly smart in their African colour schemes.  A personal favourite of mine are the 'F' Variant 109's where their shape really seems to suit the RLM 79 paint schemes (not sure why) :hmmm:

Kris

I agree with you there Kris the F really does look good in the desert scheme, I am particularly drawn to the ones where the 79 goes halfway down the height of the fuselage, even better if there are some 80 bands on it too.

• Like 2

The 109 has so many great schemes that it can be hard to choose.

I agree with the comments that this is a great choice.

The worn out shoe of a well travelled unit.

Will be watching with much interest.

Thanks Wayne - great to have you on board too :thumbsup:

You're absolutely right.  I think when it comes to Bf 109's - they're hard to beat when it comes to the option of being completely dedicated to building one kind of aircraft due to all the various Types/Marks/Variants as well as the endless amounts of schemes :frantic:

Kris

• 2 months later...

Hiya folks,

Hope everyone is well.

I'm really coming late to the party with my Bf109 build - what with life getting in the way as always, not to mention the inordinate amount of faffing I did to get my entry finished for the Unarmed GB - I'm well and truly behind.  I doubt I'll be able to get her anywhere near finished by the deadline but I'll crack on and see how far I get - wish me luck :fingerscrossed:

So in order to give you all some sort of an update I've managed to get everything pulled together with regards to the cockpit in readiness for getting the fuselage all closed up in readiness for the main part of the build and the painting.

So here's where the build stands at the moment:

DSC01154

DSC01148

DSC01147

DSC01141

DSC01138

DSC01149

DSC01153

As I mentioned right back at the beginning of my thread, I'm using an Eduard PE set to add details to the model - mainly in the cockpit with the main additions of the seatbelts and instrument panels.  I haven't gone wild on a couple of areas - particularly the section behind the main instrument panel as I'm doing the closed engine version so none of this detail will be visible - might help to speed things up too.

So hope to have more updates as quick as I can and will try my best to make some progress but as I say I've a feeling she won't make the deadline but I'll carry on regardless and put her in the RFI section if all else fails.

Keep up the good work everyone - some cracking builds in the gallery at the moment - think my late offerings would only be overshadowed anyway by the quality of the workmanship already in the gallery :whistle:

Best wishes

Kris

• Like 7

Nice start to this one Kris. No pressure or rush to make the deadline as a good finished model will be far more satisfying in the long term.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 8:48 AM, Col. said:

Nice start to this one Kris. No pressure or rush to make the deadline as a good finished model will be far more satisfying in the long term.

Thanks Col - I think you're right - sometimes it's no problem keeping to the GB deadlines and other times it just doesn't work out - I think this will be one of those times :doh:

Looking good Kris, I missed this one but now I am following it😉

The classic splinter does has it charmes, I happened to have bought a Modelsvit 109D and that one is going to get the same style splinter scheme!

Actually I have the 109 virus at the moment and bought 6 Tamiya 109E’s (. 2 E3’s and 4 E4/7’s) today 😁 as I have to many cool looking schemes..
Anyway looking forward to see yours finished, good luck...

cheers, Jan