SNCASO SO 9050 "Trident II" 1/72 MikroMir via A-market

Julien

SNCASO SO 9050 "Trident II"

1/72 MikroMir via A-market

spacer.png

In the 1950s after Jet Technology came in the original engines were still a developing technology and various ways were looked at to improve interceptors. Different countries looked at mixed rocket/jet powered aircraft with the rocket giving the main boost to get the aircraft to altitude quickly. In France this drive also came at the same time as a national move to re-build French military  power after WWII. Here the French Air Force issued a request for a supersonic capable point defense fighter.  SNCASO came up with a design which combined a single fuselage rocket engine which was to be supplemented with wingtip turbojets. Due to the high speeds envisioned a convectional ejection seat was replaced by a jettisonable nose section. The Trident II was an improvement over the original aircraft with a more powerful rocket, smaller wings, and a bigger cockpit. The speed brakes were relocated from the wings and the landing gear made longer to accommodate a single large missile under the fuselage. The rocket used a mixture of Furaline and nitric acid which were highly volatile. The first prototype was lost in a mid air explosion more than likely caused by the mixing of the fuels; and the second was lost when the turbojets were starved of fuel. 

The Kit

This is a new tool from MikroMir with the sprues and moulding hedging more to the shorter run style. Moulding quality is good with a small amount of flash being present on some parts, panel lines being engraved. A small fret of PE parts is also included in the kit. Construction starts with the cockpit (no surprise there). The floor attaches to the rear bulkhead then the seat is made up and added in. The control column is added as are PE rudder pedals. Side parts are added to the floor with PE instrument consoles going on top. Upper side parts go in and then the instrument panel with PE overlay goes on. This is then put to one side.  Next up the nose wheel assembly is completed and added into the nose cone. Next up the wingtip Turbojets can be built up, these have full depth intakes and exhausts. 

spacer.png

Now some of the sub-assemblies are built up we can move onto main model. The wing tip engines are attached to the short wings. For the main fuselage the central main gear bay is built up  and added in, this is followed by the cockpit.  Once these are in the main fuselage can be closed up and at the rear the rocket exhaust added. The nose can then be added to the fuselage. All the wheels are fitted along with the gear bay doors. The wings, tailplanes and vertical tail are now added to the fuselage. The appropriate missile for your choice of decal option can then by built up and added to the centreline. Finishing touches are the addition of some PE blade aerials and the canopy.

spacer.png

Decals

There is no printer name on the decals, though they look good and are in register. There are markings for two of the prototype aircraft.

spacer.png

Conclusion

Its good to see a new tool of this unusual aircraft in 1/72. This is not a complicated kit but will look the part once built up.  Highly Recommended. 

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 3

I had no idea this ever existed but this is a thing of absolute beauty! Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will have to acquire this

Brilliant. A Record breaker in many ways. This aircraft was able to make supersonic barrels. Chuck Yeager and Arthur Murray was invited at Istres to see a test flight. 40 000 hp ! The kit look splendid compare to the old Mach 2 or Heller. Well done MikroMir !

Can't wait for others French prototypes such as Griffon, Gerfaut or Durandal...

About the Trident I can higly recommend the ArtiPresse book. Lot of details of every versions.

Edited by JOAN

Trident test pilot Jacques Guignard flew Spitfires with 340 Sq Île de France and was in the right-hand seat for Concorde’s maiden flight so lots of interesting connections

1 hour ago, Julien said:

When I see kits overlaid on plans I have to ask how accurate the plans are? the kit looks good, and that will do me.

Indeed. The plans can be wrong, the kit can be wrong, or both.

• Like 1

I am by no means an expert on this particular aircraft, but it appears as though the kit might be of the S.O. 9000-01 Trident-I and NOT the S.O. 9050-003 Trident-II, or perhaps a composite of both:

Trident Ⅰand Ⅱ